What Happens when the Ship Leaves Port without you?

In Hawaii, I'd taken a ship sponsored excursion up to the top of Mauna Kea. We were returning late & the driver was driving along at a pretty good clip to get us back.

He told us that even though the ship would wait for us, the company levies a big fine against the excursion company for being late & not have a good excuse such as a road blocked due to an accident or something like that.

I have spoke with someone who missed the ship at a port, he explained the cost is $500.00 per 15 minutes. So depending on how late you are and how far out to sea the Ship is, plan on paying for your second CRUISE!! LOL

Our dinner companions were on a beach in Grand Cayman last month enjoying their shore excursion. We were on Grandeur, but Explorer was also anchored there that day. A woman began chatting with our companions and ask them when "we sail." They told her last tender was 4:30, so she sat on. Her sons were jet-skiing and her daughters were somewhere else on the beach or at a refreshment spot. They continued to talk and it soon became apparent that they were on different ships. Her last tender was at 4 p.m. She jumped up and ran screaming up and down the beach, trying to round up her kids. The sons came in but she hadn't found the daughters by the time our dinner companions began heading back to the tender. It was already nearly 4:30. They said they had a sinking feeling the Explorer was going to sail with a very confused and angry man wondering why his wife and children didn't get back on the ship.

We had a funny thing happen on our recent Explorer cruise. (I'm sure it was not funny to the two ladies it happened to however.) Upon departing Ocho Rios the ship was already 50-100 feet from the dock and 2 passengers slowly walked down the dock and started yelling to stop the ship because they had to get on. Most passengers did not feel sorry for them because the ship left late due to a sick passenger, so they were already over one hour later than the posted departure time.

I was also on this cruise.........My husband and I were up on top deck watching as we got ready to leave.........we noticed the Catamaran,"Cool Runnings",pull into the beach nearby..........then we saw a couple of people running as fast as they could.......I think it was the two ladies.........

They did stroll down the pier very slowly at that point.......when they got close enough,they stopped for a good 10 minutes(we were only just pulling out at that point)......we were thinking,they need to RUN back to the pier office and tell someone......Noooo,they just stood there.........

The ship slowly made its way out........I think if those women had run back for help,perhaps a pilot boat could have helped them.......

Heard they had to fly back to Miami from one person,yet someone else said they flew to Grand Cayman(our next stop)....I really dont know.........

I do know,very rarely will a ship go back and tie up.......it would cost RCCL tons of money to do so..........

I also asked the loyalty ambassador what happens,if the stranded do not have enough money with them or even a passport.....(obvously,these two probably did not cause all they were wearing were their bathing suits with coverups!).I was told RCCL works with them and the port agents(helps with air,money for food,hotels,etc) and it is then charged to their SeaPass account).....

Not a fun way to spend a vacation:(

When the ship leaves without someone, they go to the cabin and get their passports, if possible, if it's in a foreign country. They leave them with the port agent, who is usally waiting right where the ship USED TO BE. He assists the errant pax with obtaining transpo to the ship (if it's still in the harbor) or the next port.

We were on a Transatlantic cruise and had our C&A lunch our first day crossing the Atlantic. The Cust Service Manager sat at our table and told us about a woman who had missed the ship the day before in Tenerife, Canary Islands. We were now at sea for SEVEN days, and the next stop was San Juan!!!! Now, THAT'S missing the ship. I don't think she ever showed up again; I think she went home.

But, the staff person told us they always try to find someone who is traveling with the missing pax (that's why you hear announcements sometimes just before the ship leaves, asking for so-and-so to contact the Cust Serv Desk). If they can get someone to let them in the cabin, then they gather up whatever might be necessary, but especially ID, and leave it with the port agent.

The husband of the woman left in Tenerife decided to stay on board, but it was a cliffhanger, because the Cust Serv Manager had to tell him either the woman's passport OR the passport and the HUSBAND AND HIS PASSPORT had to be off the ship in MINUTES. He gave them her passport and stayed on. Seems they had a fight and that's why she was off shopping or something. Amazing story... :eek:

So, that was straight from the staff about what they do if you miss the ship. They start looking and organizing stuff about 15 minutes before they leave. It's not entirely just leave you stranded.

The husband of the woman left in Tenerife decided to stay on board, but it was a cliffhanger, because the Cust Serv Manager had to tell him either the woman's passport OR the passport and the HUSBAND AND HIS PASSPORT had to be off the ship in MINUTES. He gave them her passport and stayed on. Seems they had a fight and that's why she was off shopping or something. Amazing story... :eek:

WOW! That must of been a heck of a fight if you are willing to leave your spouse halfway around the world while you go on and enjoy your vacation. Can you say divorce? :eek:

LOL...that's what the Cust Serv Manager said, too! He said the man stood in the cabin door with her passport in his hands for several minutes, not wanting to give them up, but finally realized HE was going to have to get off with only his credit cards and passport, and decided he wanted to stay on the cruise.

Seems she went off shopping, so he knew she had credit cards with her. I guess that might have been the end to THAT marriage, because my DH would be toast if he did that to me; fight or no fight!! :D :D

Archived