From Hump to Aft

I had my first "hump" (LOL) cabin on the Serenade this past April. We LOVED the balcony and the fact that it is so close to the elevators/stairs. Next year we are on the Mariner and have taken aft 1690. I have always wanted to try the aft cabin but wonder how much complaining I will hear walking down the hallway after being spoiled this year. I can't wait to try this cabin and really don't want to change it. Has anyone had one and gone to the other in that order? I figure the walk will do us good (at least me and my husband) as I like to sample lots of desserts. :D Thanks for your help.

We are doing the opposite of you. We had an aft on the Mariner and are going to the hump on Jewel. We didn't mind the looooooong walk but we did not like that you couldn't see down the back of the ship as it is angled. We like aft on the Vision class (Rhapsody, Splendour...).

jimbo, we wanted to look down into the water aft, not on someone else's balcony. Think that is what they are talking about.

I'm not sure but I think that same water straight down is the same water that is all churned up straight out making the wake.:confused:

It might be different though, things that make you go,, hmmmmmm

Jimbo

We just had 1390 on the 5/14 sailing of the Mariner and LOVED it!

it's a bit of a longer walk to the cabin from the elevators but no one minded.

The only real time the "walk" comes into play is when you need to go all the way forward - then it seems like a walk. our solution was to take deck 10 all the way forward and then take the elevator down, in order to avoid the people on the promenade.

Otherwsie, everything is right "there" once you use the aft elevators - the dining room, Guest relations, the promenade, etc.

The balcony is HUGE, you will love it!

You can see our friends pics (of our cabin 1390, which is a mirror of 1690) at http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=n926nv4.xwbea7g&Uy=-zeks5z&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=848024159200_25566327908

Why does everyone want to look straight down in a aft cabin, did you drop something?:confused:

Jimbo:)

Hee. I've always wondered about that myself. Here's the view from Deck 10 on Radiance - I don't see how being abot to look straight down would improve on it:

2569300360069108448USUMHH_ph.jpg

We love the aft cabins, but some sneaky TAs seem to have grabbed all of them for the cruises we want, so we're trying hump cabins in 2007 to see what all the fuss about those cabins is about. I just hope I don't end up gaining because I don't have my long walks to the stern!

Hee. I've always wondered about that myself. Here's the view from Deck 10 on Radiance - I don't see how being abot to look straight down would improve on it:

2569300360069108448USUMHH_ph.jpg

We love the aft cabins, but some sneaky TAs seem to have grabbed all of them for the cruises we want, so we're trying hump cabins in 2007 to see what all the fuss about those cabins is about. I just hope I don't end up gaining because I don't have my long walks to the stern!

It's more about not having anyone be able to look straight down onto you!

I don't know why you say they can only see your head and shoulders. We were in 1392 on Mariner and we could see the entire balcony below us from the time they walked out of their door. Every morning we could watch them dressing their kids etc. It made us uncomfortable standing at our railing because we felt like we were invading their privacy.

A few more questions. I hear the comments about being able to see the people in the balcony below. Since I am in 1690, there are no rooms above me? Also, as far as the movement. We are going in April of next year. Do you really feel more movement back there? We felt a little movement on both cruises and didn't mind it (like being rocked to sleep ;) ). Right now, I'm keeping it.

Sas80 and Critterchick - thanks for the pictures. The balcony and view both look great! :)

I don't know why you say they can only see your head and shoulders. We were in 1392 on Mariner and we could see the entire balcony below us from the time they walked out of their door. Every morning we could watch them dressing their kids etc. It made us uncomfortable standing at our railing because we felt like we were invading their privacy.

Different class of ship. On the Radiance class vessels you can't see the entire balcony below. And if the people are dressing their kids outside, I'm thinking that they don't have any reasonable expectation of privacy, but I do see your point.:)

I have 2 aft cabins booked on our next 2 cruises - first up is the Radiance in 1104 and then the AOS in 1694 - I'm still a bit worried about a few things, firstly - soot and secondly vibrations......anyone care to comment?

Truth is, I will deal with both of these things to have a big balcony ( I spend a lot of time on the balcony! :) )

Archived