Yukon Adventure By Bus

stampincruiser

Would like to know if anyone has done the Yukon Adventure by bus tour with Chilkoot Charters this season ? It is a 6 hour tour that goes to Emerald Lake. Was there a lot of stops and chances for photos? We are doing this tour in August and would like to know if you enjoyed the tour. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.:)

We did this tour last year but with Frontier Excursions. I assume the tours are very similar if not identical. We loved the bus ride into the Yukon. The scenerey was incredible, and the bus mady lots of stops for pictures. The guide was very knowledge and kept us entertained with stories about the goldrush. It was one of the highpoints of our Alaska trip.

I did this several times also with Princess and loved it. A better option if you are not travelling alone is getting a rental car and driving youself. Much better use of your $$ and time.

I did this several times also with Princess and loved it. A better option if you are not travelling alone is getting a rental car and driving youself. Much better use of your $$ and time.

I really like this idea! Can you tell us the details of your trip, if you've done this?

Thanks!

I really like this idea! Can you tell us the details of your trip, if you've done this?

Thanks!

Only major rental is AVIS, book NOW, since cars are very limited. Cancel if you change your mind. I recommend driving to Emerald Lake 150 miles round trip. Be certain to print out and take with you Murray's wonderful highway log. http://www.explorenorth.com Highway log of the South Klondike Highway. You can not be Ca. citizens.

Only major rental is AVIS, book NOW, since cars are very limited. Cancel if you change your mind. I recommend driving to Emerald Lake 150 miles round trip. Be certain to print out and take with you Murray's wonderful highway log. www.explorenorth.com Highway log of the South Klondike Highway. You can not be Ca. citizens.

Thanks! I just made a reservation!

Any suggestions about what to do for lunch? :D

Would like to know if anyone has done the Yukon Adventure by bus tour with Chilkoot Charters this season ? It is a 6 hour tour that goes to Emerald Lake. Was there a lot of stops and chances for photos? We are doing this tour in August and would like to know if you enjoyed the tour. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.:)

Chilkoot Charters also has a 7-hour and a 3.5 hour rail/bus combo. The 7-hour trip goes into the Yukon. The shorter tour goes by rail to the summit and then returns by bus. Sounds like a nice way to experience the railroad and also get a little more touring in with the bus option.

Doug, How much sightseeing does the driver get to do while they're actually driving? Wouldn't you spend the majority of your time watching the road ahead? Even while driving on a straight, flat interstate here in Illinois there's only so much looking at sights one can do safely. Throw in a 2 lane twisting mountain highway and it seems that the driver will get kind of short-changed in the sightseeing department.

Not a big problem. Road is really pretty straight and no way can you get lost so you don't have to be on the lookout for any turns. Yukons guide pretty much pinpoints any stops you will want to make.

The ability to stop anywhere you want for as long as you want far outweights any disadvantages. I took the bus tours when I was alone as cost was pretty much equal but with 2 or more the car is the way to go.

Thanks! I just made a reservation!

Any suggestions about what to do for lunch? :D

We just did this a couple of weeks ago, and choices for lunch are fairly limited. Time was running short for us -- we wanted to get back in time for the 4:30 White Pass Railroad trip -- so we opted for a quick sandwich in a restaurant recommended by the people at the Carcross Visitor's Center that was inside the local Shell Station. There was another place up the road at Caribou Crossing, and I've read that a few people who have done this have had lunch at Spirit Lake Lodge.

It's a beautiful drive, and we loved being able to stop take photos whenever we wanted. You won't regret your decision!

Archived