Summit Alaskan cruise disappointment (MERGER OF 5 THREADS ON THIS TOPIC)

Hondu

nor will I join a class-action suit (the last time I was part of one, I won a grand total of $1.50 years after it was filed).

Do you know how much your attorney received? Probably enough to retire on. The first one to get paid in a class action lawsuit are the attorneies.

We had a late flight out of Vancouver. I did write exactly that into the questionaire. We wouldn´t mind to get off as the last ones. Nowadays you can´t leave unattended baggage nowhere to go on a cityspree. Now guess? Yes, we had luggage tags "purple 3" and went off among the first that morning. We than took a day room at Fairmont Hotel at Vancouver airport and after 13 days depending on unprofessional holiday management, these couple of hours were a bit like real holiday.

It is strange how this works. We were in a port which required tendering and I had no scheduled tour, so I was not looking to go early. In fact I asked for something not too early. So naturally I get assigned to the first tender.

I started to read these forums before my first cruise to learn about cruising, so I wouldn't miss anything and regret it later. I have continued to read because I continue to cruise. One thing I have learned about almost all the cruise lines - they are not registered in the US and as such are not answerable to most common US laws. Is this correct?

There are a lot of legal issues involved in your question. I'm not a lawyer, so I am not going to pretend to be one. However, there is also a major practicable issue where the US holds all the cards ...

You don't want to follow our laws, okay, go dock somewhere else - outside of the US.

US citizens make up 70 to 90% of the cruise ship passengers. Not being able to dock in a US port would probable cost the US based (RCI, Celebrity, Carnival ... are based in the US, even if the cruise lines are foreign corporations - I don't know if they are, but if they are) cruises line 60% of their business (at least). So foreign or domestic, like it or not, they have to obey and be subject to US laws.

I was a passenger on the Summit which had engine problems on it’s repositioning cruise to alaska. While everyone on board was disappointed by the itinerary changes, it was not a trip from hell or the disaster at sea as some have tried to claim.

The passengers comprised of 3 groups:

- those who chose to enjoy their vacation and had a wait-and-see attitude in regards to compensation. I belong to this group. Overall, the trip was spectacular and the food, service, and entertainment were top-notch. There was a $200 stateroom credit and a 30% discount on the next trip which I am looking forward too.

- those who chose to mostly enjoy their vacation but who weren’t happy with the initial compensation that was offered and wanted immediate answers.

- and finally there were the drama queens from hell. They ruined their own vacation and made certain that everyone knew that THEY WEREN”T HAPPY. This was a small but very vocal group with 2 ringleaders edging the rest on. From the very beginning, they began making demands and issuing threats.

Everyone else on the ship was disgusted with their constant bellyaching, childish behavior, scare tactics, and theatrics. They were impossible to reason with. The only thing they excelled at was speculation, hearsay, spreading rumors, and excessive melodrama.

They mistakenly assume that everyone who attended their meetings were their supporters. Many attended just to key an eye on them and to make sure they didn’t do something really stupid. A crewmember reported that one individual took a swing at an officer and found himself confined to his room and later put ashore in Ketchikan.

The drama queens are upset because Celebrity didn’t cave in to their demands. They are upset because the media did not jump on the story and turn it into an international incident. So now, they are trying their luck in the forums. Thankfully, cooler heads seem to be prevailing.

Djs

A large number speaking up!!!!? I can count the number on this board thus far on one hand and have some fingers left! No BS. And those of us who have cruised on Celebrity for a number of times are entitled to our opinions and will not be silenced. It should be noted, that the complainers that we have seen posting are posting their first, second, third, forth postings on Cruise Critic. Makes one suspicious - hmmm!

Why, was your first, second or third post something that people should dismiss because it was your first, second or third post? Perhaps people should not post until they have 200 or more posts. Of course, if you can not post until you have 200 or more posts, how do you get to 200???

One way I know if is to start with your first post, then move on to your second post, then your third post, and then after repeating 197 more times, you will suddenly have credibility. So don't post anything important until you have at least 200 posts.

How can you say that they don't have to compensate. For bad weather I agree with you!. For the ill fated last Summit slow partial cruise to Alaska they should have to pay and will end up doing so through negotiations or a court ordered settlement. It is a slam dunk!

It was a not a true Griswald cruise! It was not a finely cruise either.

Griswalds

This case, if there is one, is no slam dunk. Like it or not, the contract is in Celebrity's favor. If you watch enough basketball you will see that even slam dunks are missed.

Given the contracts we signed, I don't think they HAVE to compensate, and I would NOT be in favor of a court-mandate forcing them to compensate.

Like it or not, that is how the system works. If two reasonable sides cannot agree, twelve people make the decision for them. Celebrity could win or Celebrity could lose. Either way, the decision of the court (jury) should be enforced. If forced to pay a significant sum, Celebrity will either raise prices, or find a way to keep this from happening again. I believe if forced to pay, Celebrity will look for ways to prevent this from happening again, which I think would benefit all.

Do I think the passengers will receive 100%? No. But rather than a 30% coupon Celebrity might have to refund 30% of the cruise fare. That would get Celebrity's attention. Of couse Celebrity could win, and then you will see more of the same from Celebrity.

You really want to get Celebrity's attention? If passenger loads drop by only 10% I bet that will get Celebrity's attention really fast!

Celebrity has two mega ships coming out soon. If Celebrity cannot offer a premium experience to a ship with 1500 to 2000 passengers on it, how is Celebrity going to offer a premium experience to a ship with 2850 - 3000 passengers on it?

This experience might just work to Celebrity's long term benefit, if it acts as a wake up call for Celebrity. I am still trying to figure out how you offer a premium service to 3000 people all at the same time. Perhaps they should change the name of the cruise line to Royal Caribbean 2. Leave the "too big for the Panama Canal" ships to Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Princess. There is a reason none of the luxury lines have ships that can hold 2000 people (let alone 3000+). You cannot offer a luxury experience to 2000 or 3000 people all at the same time. Bigger is not always better.

DJS Hawaii, thanks for your post. It's nice to know that sometimes cooler heads do prevail.

These forums are really a microcosm of the world we live in and the drama queens you speak of turn up here, just as they do wherever we live and work. We all know the type - unreasonable, intractable, demanding, unflexible people who think they were born with an entitlement to a perfect life. The ones who, when given the choice between fight or flight, are always eager to rally the troops and lead them into battle. I'm reminded of an old adage - he who yells the loudest, usually has the least to say.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise despite its problems.

I've read many of the posts from people who were on the cruise and it's interesting to read their different perspectives. But, I think that passing judgement on the behavior or attitude of those on the cruise is not fair, unless you were there .... I feel that it's one of those situations where "you had to be there" to really understand. (And I wasn't there.)

People have different reasons for reacting the way they do in a situation - and it's very easy to say, "I would never do that," .... but do you really know that for sure :confused:

Yes nothing is for sure except death and taxes. There is always a risk, however I am sugesting a very low risk, compared to what has already been lost. By having a class action the risk is lowered even further.

Griswalds

This case, if there is one, is no slam dunk. Like it or not, the contract is in Celebrity's favor. If you watch enough basketball you will see that even slam dunks are missed.

Funny you should say that. I had a situation the last two days where this guy was following me from board to board. He was posting a pic of me and my husband after we complained about the menu choices on NCL>

Since we are far from skinny he choose to make fun of us... hello we are 45 yrs old here... and this guy is 39.... are we in high school

Thank good ness for the board mediators... they did pull the postings.

Curious Cat

Do you ever wish you could vote someone off of the board?

Look at the upper right hand corner of the post there is a exclamation point in a triangle, click on it and report the problem, they do handle things very well, but they can't be watching the boards 24-7. They do an excellent job with what they have available so help them out by letting them know and why, not just a little nit-pik thing.;)

I was a passenger on the Summit which had engine problems on it’s repositioning cruise to alaska. While everyone on board was disappointed by the itinerary changes, it was not a trip from hell or the disaster at sea as some have tried to claim.

The passengers comprised of 3 groups:

- those who chose to enjoy their vacation and had a wait-and-see attitude in regards to compensation. I belong to this group. Overall, the trip was spectacular and the food, service, and entertainment were top-notch. There was a $200 stateroom credit and a 30% discount on the next trip which I am looking forward too.

- those who chose to mostly enjoy their vacation but who weren’t happy with the initial compensation that was offered and wanted immediate answers.

- and finally there were the drama queens from hell. They ruined their own vacation and made certain that everyone knew that THEY WEREN”T HAPPY. This was a small but very vocal group with 2 ringleaders edging the rest on. From the very beginning, they began making demands and issuing threats.

Everyone else on the ship was disgusted with their constant bellyaching, childish behavior, scare tactics, and theatrics. They were impossible to reason with. The only thing they excelled at was speculation, hearsay, spreading rumors, and excessive melodrama.

They mistakenly assume that everyone who attended their meetings were their supporters. Many attended just to key an eye on them and to make sure they didn’t do something really stupid. A crewmember reported that one individual took a swing at an officer and found himself confined to his room and later put ashore in Ketchikan.

The drama queens are upset because Celebrity didn’t cave in to their demands. They are upset because the media did not jump on the story and turn it into an international incident. So now, they are trying their luck in the forums. Thankfully, cooler heads seem to be prevailing.

Djs

It seems you can't please everyone, and on just about every cruise we have taken (24(, there is always someone or small group that has only negative remarks. We cruise Celebrity because we know exactly what we will get. BTW summit is our favorite ship, but the rest come in a close second! Things happen, I am sure Celebrity doesn't plot and plan to ruin the cruise. Thanks for your level headed comments.:)

I thought the original post would have been more effective without the reference to "drama queens from hell" .... I find it a bit strong and feel that name calling of any sort is a discredit to the person using it.

Djs

:)It is amazing how a few people can mess up things for "all". To bad X didn't just put them off at the next port, so the rest of you could continue on with what was left of the cruise.

Funny you should say that. I had a situation the last two days where this guy was following me from board to board. He was posting a pic of me and my husband after we complained about the menu choices on NCL>

Since we are far from skinny he choose to make fun of us... hello we are 45 yrs old here... and this guy is 39.... are we in high school

Thank good ness for the board mediators... they did pull the postings.

Curious Cat

Seriously? OMG, how horrifying. How did he get the picture, was he on the cruise with you? I've seen a lot of nastiness around here over the years, but that has to rank right up there at the top. <shudder>

The objectives of Cruise Critic are summarized in the Community Guidelines.

Cruise Critic is a community of folks who love to cruise and we all benefit from the exchange of advice that takes place here! Our Cruise Community is a cooperative effort which depend on all of you to make it work well. If you post questions, please try to take the time to answer other members' questions as well. Cruise Critic has adopted a series of guidelines to help make the Cruise Boards easier to use and better for everyone.

Messages posted in Cruise Critic must conform to our Community Guidelines found in this area. Posts that violate these guidelines will be removed from the cruise boards without notice. Repeated violators will lose their posting privileges. We will automatically remove any subsequent inappropriate postings without warning. Please use good judgment in posting any message.

Our mission is provide a haven on the internet, if you will, that will provide a resource for those planning a cruise for those that love cruising. Help make this a great source of information for you and your fellow travelers by sharing the name of that wonderful private island you visited on your last cruise or tell us about that fabulous shore excursions you took in Cozumel that just can't be missed! If you have any questions or comments regarding our posting guidelines or any content found on our message boards please be sure and let me know. I'll be happy to discuss them with you.

The forum is intended to be a comprehensive resource for information and discussions about cruising and to provide folks with similar interests to expand their contacts and knowledge.

Discussions about members of the Community, especially those that are not complimentary, are removed. If the discussion is in the original post the entire thread has to be removed.

A thread was started a while back that was available to all and was in the "Floataway Lounge" forum where members had fun chatting about a wide variety of things. Unfortunately a (very) few members decided to be less than kind to newcomers and the thread required far too much time to monitor. So it had to be removed. We enjoyed the thread as much as the participants, but when it turned negative, it had to be stopped.

We are very reluctant to pull a post, let alone complete threads. However when a member focuses on another member in an uncomplimentary way, the post (and, perhaps, the entire thread) goes with it.

The alert system mentioned above is your way to let us know of a potential issue that we need to address. Please use it as often as you want.

In addition, if you have a post in a thread that has been removed, and you want to know more, please feel free to contact either HostWalt@cruisecritic.com or HostAnne@cruisecritic.com. We'll be happy to discuss the situation with you. Privately.

I have to disagree with Susan on this. What else could you call a small group of people who were hell bent on ruining everyone's cruise? Those poor vocal unfortunates? The OP WAS on this cruise, which gives him/her the right to call them as they see them. Believe me, if it were me, my name for those people would have been unprintable in this forum. I think the OP's description of the rabble-rousers is more than polite. They could have been called much worse. But as some have said, cruises are a microcosim of our society as a whole, and those who protest loudest, even though they are a vast minority, are heard the easiest.

There are a lot of legal issues involved in your question. I'm not a lawyer, so I am not going to pretend to be one. However, there is also a major practicable issue where the US holds all the cards ...

You don't want to follow our laws, okay, go dock somewhere else - outside of the US.

US citizens make up 70 to 90% of the cruise ship passengers. Not being able to dock in a US port would probable cost the US based (RCI, Celebrity, Carnival ... are based in the US, even if the cruise lines are foreign corporations - I don't know if they are, but if they are) cruises line 60% of their business (at least). So foreign or domestic, like it or not, they have to obey and be subject to US laws.

And, unfortunately, for the 95% of us who are not US citizens, we have to put up with the bellyaching & whining of the segment of the US population who: a) complain vociferously about anything that does not conform precisely to their idea of 'perfection', and b) spend more money and time on useless & frivolous lawsuits per capita than any other society on earth. :(

I like the US & Americans generally, however: a portion of your citizenry is giving your country a bad name and funnelling an ever increasing portion of cruise fares from customer satisfaction, into the pocketbooks of morally bankrupt ambulance chasers. :mad:

Archived