chair hogging..is this as big of a problem?

blga

Never sailing on Princess before, with an upcoming trip on the CP in just two weeks, just wondering if Chair hogging or rather, maybe lack of deck chairs is a problem? I have been on Carnival, both the Triumph & the Elation, both big ships but perhaps just a tiny bit smaller than Princess. On both those cruises I was shocked to find that unless you got up at 7am & literally ran out to the decks to claim your deck chairs, then you were out of luck. I don't think I had breakfast with our family all together the whole last two cruises because one or two of us always had to stay with the chairs. I was continually amazed at the number of people who set down a towel, book or shoes & then left for hours & hours leaving the chair unused while many, many others roamed the decks looking for a space to sit in the sun. Does this happen on Princess as well? And if so, does anyone have a nice way of dealing with it. I am not into anything rude or pushy. This is, after all, a relaxing vacation & I don't want to get into a brawl. Suggestions? Comments?

Chair hogging in the pool area is a problem on all mass market lines--but chairs are usually plentiful if you don't have to be right next to the pool. Look around on decks that overlook the pool or move a bit forward or aft. If you see an unused stack of chairs just ask an attendant to move one down for you.

I don't think I had breakfast with our family all together the whole last two cruises because one or two of us always had to stay with the chairs.

Isn't this the definition of chair hogs? Holding chairs for people who are not actually there?

or maybe I am missing something here. :confused:

I do not remember anyone writing that C'hogs were a problem on the Coral Princess. I can tell you that they sure are on the Caribbean cruises.

Sometimes I just want to throw people's things over board that have been holding the chair for what seems like 5 hours or so. :cool: I restrain myself though and simply spit on the items instead. LOL. Just joking :D

The ones that really **ss me off are the ones that have two chairs each, one in the sun and one in the shade. When I see that, sorry, I take the one in the shade when they are in the sun. Never had one to tell me to move that that is their chair. Some people are plain selfish!!! No consideration for others.

for the poster that wondered what the definition of chair hog is....well, I am not a dictionary (lol) but what I meant, isn't the people who are actively using the chair but ran to the bathroom, or for a 15 min snack or back to the room for forgotten book or suntan lotion. I am not even suggesting a problem with those that simply love to enjoy the deck all day. That's exactly what we are all there for so of course, that is just fine!!...my definition would be people who arrive at 7am plop stuff on thie chairs (usually poolside, but could be any "prime location", and then simply stop back once every couple hours for something (as if the chair was a locker)., or sadly, don't stop back at all. I have sat next to empty chairs (always on carribean cruises) that sit with sandals and a towel on top of them but I never see a person for 3 -4 hours. now that is just plain selfish and inconsiderate. I am not one that wants or needs to be by the pool so that isn't the point, and maybe this isn't a problem on other ships...but it has been a huge problem on both the carnival ships I have been on. I am talking no chairs available anywhere, shade, sun, front of the ship, back, side, none. until about 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

With all this talk about chair hogs, why don't people take the passive-agressive approach and if they see a "claimed" chair unused for a while, just take the person's stuff off (stick it under the chair or something), and use the chair? If they come back and get upset, mumble something about it being abandoned and salvage rights :D

I agree that if a person is not there for a long time, I would just place their stuff under the chair and use it. If they come back, I would give them the chair. They can get mad at me all they want. Wouldn't bother me, I don't have to go home with them.:):)

Shelley

I don't remember there having been a problem with chair hogs on the Coral Princess (CP) and there definitely wasn't a problem on her sister ship, the Island Princess, this past March/April.

If you're referring to the Caribbean Princess (CB), then that's a whole different ball of wax. I did find chair hogs on the CB and had a problem finding a lounger anywhere.

I don't remember there having been a problem with chair hogs on the Coral Princess (CP) and there definitely wasn't a problem on her sister ship, the Island Princess, this past March/April.

If you're referring to the Caribbean Princess (CB), then that's a whole different ball of wax. I did find chair hogs on the CB and had a problem finding a lounger anywhere.

Pam,I don't mean to keep correcting you but CP is the designator for SEA Princess not Coral which is CO.

I was on the Star in April 05 and on the first day of at sea cruising the Princess Patters reads: "Sun Loungers / Open Deck; As a courtesy to all aboard there must be no reserving of deck sun lounges. Towels and personal items will be removed after a 15 minute period if a lounger has not been occupied."

I did see some staff clearing away towels on chairs that had been unoccupied. We had a mini-suite and we used the balcony for sunning certain times during the day. A nice convenience. :)

Chair hogs are just rude people. Just ask if you see someone one on a chir if anyone has ever sat next to them. I do this often with my dad and we are all seniors. He loves the pool, but will not swim unless someone will watch his hearing aids.

I usually find him sitting looking at the hot tubs and pool. So I grab him and since he normally has the aids off we sign is anyone really here and get in the pool I will watch your aids.

Have yet to encounter a probem or anyone showing up. I also do not think anyone would steal hearing aids but one never knows. I say ask around the people know if chairs actually have a person and just move the stuff.

you dont even want to get me started on this subject, its actually the only thing that irritates me:mad: i could care less about having a flat screen tv, or wireless internet, cell phone usage, good coffee,etc. my ultimate dream would to be able to get a chair after 7am.

Thank god i get up early and go to the gym, i am sitting at my chair all morning and all day, i only get up to go to the bathroom, we eat at our chairs and we dont take turns ( that would be chair hogging).

I do not mind b/c we are sun people and this is what i want to do on our vacations, dh and i go away to relax and that is what i am going to do, i hate to stress about getting a chair.

i am up at 5:30 i would walk passed the pool to go exercise or maybe get a cup of tea, would you beleive people have their stuff on the chairs already!!! Best part i have actullay witnessed people never showing up until 12noon:eek: i know this b/c i never leave,lol:D

On my longer cruises this was not a problem, the coral was great!!!!

I seem to remember a long time ago (probably almost 20 years ago now) renting a deck chair when I first got on board the old Oceanic when it was with the Home Lines. You paid a price for the chair for the entire cruise and it was yours for the entire cruise. You had a deck steward that pulled them out in the morning, made sure they were clean, got you towels, drinks, etc., then stacked them all up at the end of the day. If someone sat in your chair, he made sure they knew it wasn't their chair. He was one of the envelope recipients at the end of the cruise, and did a heck of a job!

With cruise lines looking to find new revenue streams all the time, this seems to be a great way to do it and also end the "chair hog" issue at the same time. I, for one, would welcome its return!

The ones that make me mad are the ones where there is like 5-8 chairs saved right next to the pool FOR HOURS. Once I watched the chairs that were being saved, and no one ever showed up.

I seem to remember a long time ago (probably almost 20 years ago now) renting a deck chair when I first got on board the old Oceanic when it was with the Home Lines. You paid a price for the chair for the entire cruise and it was yours for the entire cruise. You had a deck steward that pulled them out in the morning, made sure they were clean, got you towels, drinks, etc., then stacked them all up at the end of the day. If someone sat in your chair, he made sure they knew it wasn't their chair. He was one of the envelope recipients at the end of the cruise, and did a heck of a job!

With cruise lines looking to find new revenue streams all the time, this seems to be a great way to do it and also end the "chair hog" issue at the same time. I, for one, would welcome its return!

If it was the Oceanic it was morfe than 20 years ago. I remember that too. It took away the "chair hogs" problem.

They also "dressed" for dinner. If you didn't you didn't get in the dining room.

Those were the days when cruising was an upscale thing to do.

If it was the Oceanic it was morfe than 20 years ago. I remember that too. It took away the "chair hogs" problem.

They also "dressed" for dinner. If you didn't you didn't get in the dining room.

Those were the days when cruising was an upscale thing to do.

hmmmm....well it was in the early 80s and it was definitely the Oceanic...man, this means I'm getting old! :eek:

Nope.. Here on the Cruise Critic, and for the longest time, CB is Caribbean and CP is the Coral

Wrong!The official PRINCESS designator for Sea Princess is CP(I received an email from an officer there yesterday and his email begins with CP ).CB is Caribbean and CO is Coral.You can call it what you want but these are correct.Its like Personal Choice being used to describe Anytime dining.Personal choice is Traditional,Anytime,Buffet,Specialty restaurant or in room dining.

This is too funny...When we were in Florida this weekend, the hotel that we stayed at charged for the chairs on the beach, & I thought what if the cruises started charging for the chairs? It was a little disturbing that they charged for them, but on the other hand, it was nice not to have to get up early to make sure that you get a chair. We picked 2 chairs & prepaid for the entire weekend. They only remove the umbrella & the chair pads in the evening, so your chairs were always in the same spot. I was a little skeptical, but it worked out just fine.

No - for all the whining about kids, they NEVER hog chairs... And of course, on one hand folks want kids closely supervised poolside, but on the other, just try to get a chair there amongst all the Harlequin Romance novels...

Hogs! They ought to be sliced into bacon! Or at least have an apple stuffed into their mouths!

The weirdest twilight zone experience I had was on Summit. After 3-4 hours a German dude saving an additional seven chairs adjacent the pool for friends that never did show up began to start WWIII when pax started to shoplift from his furniture store. The hog even had the twisted sense to call on security to report the "theft" of "his" chairs!

Archived