country club casual

sacway

We are booked 12/21 Regatta and I'm wondering if DH will be overdressed at dinner. He has only two looks -- jeans & t-shirts & sneakers and suit & tie & wingtips. Neither seems to be "country club casual" He doesn't own (nor could I get him to wear) any polo shirts or khakis. Ideas?

While my DH was happy in golf/polo shirts and slacks at dinner on Insignia, there were enough gentlemen wearing jackets to make your DH comfortably at home. Of course, if you choose to eat in Tapas, the dress code is a little more relaxed and he could probably wear his jeans.

I think a full suit might be over dressed. My husband is bringing a sport coat and khakis or the like. Even if he doesn't wear the sport coat on board much, I think he will need it going out at night in Istanbul. It's light and very packable and wrinkle-free. If you cruise a lot, it's a very handy item of clothing to have along. If it weren't for me, my husband would also live in tee shirts, jeans and/or shorts.

We typically wore dress slacks with a pressed shirt. Sometimes with a sportscoat, but more often not. One night we were wild and even put on ties! Also we found that wool slacks held up better during the cruise than cotton.

Buy a couple of pairs of Dockers!!! They're not all that expensive, they're comfortable...and you can wear a variety of shirts--from Golf shirts to sports shirts to even dress shirts--but leaving the top button unbuttoned...and you will come off as casual enough...

I have no problem with this as "Casual" has become the regular mode of dress in my office the past several years...

IMHO, you don't want to pack a few suits and dress up every night...NOT on ANY cruise line...

And no cruise line I know of really allows jeans in the Dining Room for dinner...

So, it's time to expand that wardrobe just a little!

I've been going back and forth on bringing a sports coat...and probably will because it seems I might need one in Istanbul for my nice evening out there...But I'll bring a sports coat that matches with my khaki Dockers...and I won't bring a tie...

And, if it's as hot, generally, as I think it will be (July in the Med), I won't wear a coat very much if at all...

The problem (not that it's really a problem) is that Oceania dioesn't really define "Country Club Casual" well...and there's no real long-established definition...

So, in my view, it means tuxes, suits, coats and ties NOT necessary...but don't dress like a slob either...Dress like you're going out in public to eat at a decent establishment where you might have to run into these people again...so, you're not dressing so tacky as to be wearing your swimming trunks or tacky T-shirts or slip on beach sandals...

But, a pair of nice slacks and a shirt with some sort of collar should do it...

Dress with a little dignity, just not necessarily with a whole lot of formality...

And, if you don't already own clothes that fit that bill, go shopping...because you should anyway...

We typically wore dress slacks with a pressed shirt. Sometimes with a sportscoat, but more often not. One night we were wild and even put on ties! Also we found that wool slacks held up better during the cruise than cotton.

Exact same mode of dress as my husband. (except the tie)

Dh brought a sportcoat only because he was going to need it for a pre-cruise dinner with friends in London. So he wore it on the ship once or twice simply because he had it with him.

He also brought a pastel linen sweater to wear a couple of nights over his linen shirts just for a more "finished" look.

thanks for the replies.

maybe - maybe - if I took a pair of his trousers to the dept. store and bought him a pair of dockers and packed them in my luggage -- maybe he'd wear them! In sixteen years together i have never seen him in a sportscoat.

Ed & Jim - I think this is the strategy for him. he's got a good range of pressed shirts and lightweight wool trousers.

thanks for the replies.

maybe - maybe - if I took a pair of his trousers to the dept. store and bought him a pair of dockers and packed them in my luggage -- maybe he'd wear them! In sixteen years together i have never seen him in a sportscoat.

Ed & Jim - I think this is the strategy for him. he's got a good range of pressed shirts and lightweight wool trousers.

a couple of pairs of his suit pants and a jacket or blazer or sport jacket would do.

I wouldn't sweat it.

As long as he doesn't wear jeans or shorts to the dining room for dinner he will be fine.

thanks for the replies.

One of the things I like best about "O" is that you can wear what you want. I certainly would not be dressing as your husband usually does while on the cruise, but if HE wants to, let him. (I think the last time someone else worried about my clothes was my mother many decades ago! LOL)

Right you are, digby.

I admit to having cringed a few times when he's waltzed into places (including some of the finest country clubs and hotels in the nation) in casual attire yet he seems never uncomfortable in a suit, either. I think he likes to push social expectations.

I am just so happy to get him out of the office so to speak, and he loves our cruising vacations, too.

Archived