Help...I cannot believe I did this

Oh no... I cannot believe I am in this situation.

Nick(great husband) and I leave for a 4 day cruise in a day. I took a new job as controller, and have been working under a lot of stress. When I was hired, they understood I had vacation planned.

So with all the stress of a new job did not think so much about what to wear on the cruise. I did not bother to go shopping because I have a closet of formal wear and I was sure I could just pull something out of the closet for the cruise. So here it is Sunday night..nothing fits. Put on a good 20 LBS since the last cruise.

So trying to leave the office early tommorow to find a formal dress. So tonight I tell Nick...What to do, nothing fits.....So he says, hey dont worry about the formal, we will just go casual and go to the buffet for dinner on formal. night.... Hey one of the reasons I love to cruise is to do formal....

What do you think ladies, can I pull this off in a few hours before a cruise????

Hi, I have been on a 3 night cruise before and it is much less formal than 7 night or longer......If a 4 nighter is also "less formal" then you might not need to go searching as far....just a suggestion. I love dressing up too so I am not trying to sound negative.
Just letting you know, a pretty pants suit can look just as good:)

Have a wonderful time!

Check out the thread entitled 75% off at Dillards. Lots of great sales! Many of us in the past few weeks have picked up incredible bargains. I got 2 formals....both were originally close to $200/each and I bought them BOTH for about $55! If you don't have Dillards try Foleys, Younkers, Bergners or JCPennys. Now that prom season is over they are all drastically reduced.

Good luck! You can do it!

Yoou can buy a really nice basic black dress and pair it up with beautiful earings and shoes and hand baag and Voila you will look beautiful and if you gained 20lbs this will even slenderize you. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Seriously, lots of the department stores have their formal stuff on 50% off or better. And, the selection is still great !
I went to browse on Saturday and found all kinds of clothes for my cruise in August at great prices !
I think you can do it !!

- Yvette

Yes you can do it!

I once picked up a formal at dry cleaner for a party that night. You guessed it, the dress was ruined. I had to go to work. I went out at lunch time to buy a formal. Nothing fit & I started to cry in the dressing room. The sales lady felt so bad for me the store did my alternations -- rush -- for free. When I came back at 5 pm to pick up the dress, the saleslady had collected every thing I could possibly have needed: underwear, shoes, jewelry, handbag so I would be on time. When I realized the dress had been ruined, I detoured home & grabbed the accessories so I didn't need any extras. The girl at the makeup counter did my face & I was out of the store w/ a new formal in 1/2 hour, fully dressed.

Good luck & have faith. You'll be OK. Plus, the 4 day events are less dressy than the longer ones, so you have more room to improvise.

Whew.... Did it!

Snuck out of work a few hours early, headed right to Filenes. Found a very elegant but basic 3/4 length black dress, criss crosses in the front. With my pendant diamond necklace, and my simple post diamond earings, I do believe I have formal wear!! Walking by the hosery dept... my eye caught black fishnets....that should spruce it up. Already had great pair of pointy black shoes at home, fancy with a strap around the ankle.

Then of course on my way to the register, spotted the capris...found a few pairs that I just loved. I am trusting you all that I will not be too casual on a 4 day cruise in capri's...This is all I have guys, shorts, capris and my black dress!!! Oh and of course a pair of shoes for each day!!

Ok time is a ticking....Now I am ready to pack, sleep and catch a 6:00AM flight!

Janet

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All.
Returned home from our cruise, and thought I would give you an update to my fashion issues!!!

So I walked on the ship with just one little black very simple formal dress, and capri's. I was so concerned that I would be underdressed with my Capri's.

I did feel right at home in my Capri's. On the casual nights they were perfect.

And then on formal night, my simple black dress with a few diamonds to spruce it up was just perfect.... Went to the salon, and had a great french twist done....I felt wonderful and was dressed just right. So I guess you can shop one day before the cruise, and still have a great time.

My hubby and I compete in ballroom dancing, and dance is high on our list of enjoyment. At the captains party, we danced away, and it was on the TV for a few days after......So lucky me , I was able to see the dress on TV!!! Even my husband commented on what a great dress it was....For HB to notice is big!!!

Thanks all for the good advice. Now I just need to loose the 8 ILS I put on in 4 days

Janet

Archived