Back to Back to Alaska - Which Ship?

CrusinAgain

Seattle is our closest port we could drive to, but the ports that the ships go to show limited time and so is the glacier viewing.

If we left out of Vancouver the North/South trips look really appealing and now I am starting to think of the back to back trip instead of paying the $700 airfare each.

If you were to do a back to back cruise, which ship would you choose or would you go on 2 different ships?

We just returned from back to backs on the Island. We prefer the size of the Island and Coral. However, we have done the Sapphire and had a

great time too.

We live only 30 minutes from the Seattle port but prefer to go out of Vancouver since the ships going out of Seattle cruise the western side of Vancouver Island. We prefer the more sheltered and more scenic eastern side and what we consider to be the true "Inside Passage". If you want a 7 day 'round trip' you go out of Seattle...if you want a one-way or a back to back...Vancouver is your choice.

Next year we are going to go up on the Pacific Princess, rent a car for a week and a half drive to Skagway, Valdez, Seward, etc. and then return on the Sapphire. We do Alaska in some way almost every year and obviouisly love cruising and love Alaska!!

We just returned from back to backs on the Island. We prefer the size of the Island and Coral. However, we have done the Sapphire and had a

great time too.

We live only 30 minutes from the Seattle port but prefer to go out of Vancouver since the ships going out of Seattle cruise the western side of Vancouver Island. We prefer the more sheltered and more scenic eastern side and what we consider to be the true "Inside Passage". If you want a 7 day 'round trip' you go out of Seattle...if you want a one-way or a back to back...Vancouver is your choice.

Next year we are going to go up on the Pacific Princess, rent a car for a week and a half drive to Skagway, Valdez, Seward, etc. and then return on the Sapphire. We do Alaska in some way almost every year and obviouisly love cruising and love Alaska!!

I'm on the June 6, 2007 Pacific Princess...and you? Did you really mean drive to Skagway?

Perfect back to back in Alaska would be the “Voyage of the Glacier” itineraries. Of course I would do back to back for 20 total days out of San Francisco, but that’s just me.

Perfect back to back in Alaska would be the “Voyage of the Glacier” itineraries. Of course I would do back to back for 20 total days out of San Francisco, but that’s just me.

Which one does Voyage of the Glaciers?

And on the Regal do their balconies or mini suites have a divider curtain or not? Does it sail under the Golden Gate? Might even consider leaving out of SF if the Regal is as good as you say it is.

We are on the Diamond for a b2b out of Vancouver in Sept. Hoping for a great trip. The airfare was also a consideration for choosing the b2b.

Do you get to stay in the same room or do you have to move? Balcony or inside room? The airfares are far spendier than I imagined especially when we are already in the Pacific Northwest.

And on the Regal do their balconies or mini suites have a divider curtain or not? Does it sail under the Golden Gate? Might even consider leaving out of SF if the Regal is as good as you say it is.

For 2007, Sapphire/Diamond, Coral/Island, and Pacific do the Voyage of the Glaciers. The Regal isn't sailing to Alaska next summer.

I like the Coral/Island Princess class myself.

I would suggest looking at the Pacific Princess because it does 2 different routes but that is sort of pricey.

Maybe look at one way on HAL and back on Princess? This way you can go to different ports and different glaciers.

Seattle is our closest port we could drive to, but the ports that the ships go to show limited time and so is the glacier viewing.

If we left out of Vancouver the North/South trips look really appealing and now I am starting to think of the back to back trip instead of paying the $700 airfare each.

If you were to do a back to back cruise, which ship would you choose or would you go on 2 different ships?

Veendam. HAL's S class ships have marvelous forward viewing decks perfect for Alaska.

Here's a link to my review. ignore the Club HAL comments. Since the SOE upgrades, HAL has added dedicated facilities for the kids.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=892

OK. I know this is Princess, so I'll start ducking now!:o

I believe Diamond and Sapphire are doing the Voyage of the Glaciers – Vancouver to Whittier or Whittier to Vancouver – for the 2006 season. Balconies and mini’s on all Princess ships do not have divider curtains. Regal Princess does sail under the Golden Gate – any ship leaving from San Francisco must sail out of the Bay and the only way out is under the Golden Gate.

Regal Princess is as good as I say it is, but note that my tastes differ from a good percentage of the rest of the crowd on this board. I’m not looking for a mega ship full of amenities, MUTS, discos suspended above the sea, Anytime Dining, etc. I like a good solid traditional cruise experience and that’s what Regal offers…she’s not for everyone.

I believe Diamond and Sapphire are doing the Voyage of the Glaciers – Vancouver to Whittier or Whittier to Vancouver – for the 2006 season.

Diamond, Sapphire, Coral and Island Princess are doing the Voyage of the Glaciers for 2006 and 2007. Pacific Princess is doing the route one way and a different route coming back in 2007.

Diamond, Sapphire, Coral and Island Princess are doing the Voyage of the Glaciers for 2006 and 2007. Pacific Princess is doing the route one way and a different route coming back in 2007.

The Pacific Princess is waitlist only for ALL of the 2007 southbound cruises. The difference is in glaciers: Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm, and College Fjord northbound, and Glacier Bay and College Fjord southbound.

The Pacific Princess is waitlist only for ALL of the 2007 southbound cruises. The difference is in glaciers: Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm, and College Fjord northbound, and Glacier Bay and College Fjord southbound.

That doesn't surprise me. What a fantastic ship to do that route on!

Go Coral Princess, she is a great ship, and you can do more excursions. Also you can 'window shop' going up, and buy coming back. The entertainment in both theaters is excelient too. Good luck. john

:D I'll be on the northbound! :D

I contacted my TA to do the Northbound because it would be different compared the route I have done many times with Princess. After I saw the prices, I told her not to book me. If I hadn't been back to Alaska the past 4 years, I would probably have booked it.

We did the north/south bound voyages aboard the Star Princess a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed the two weeks we spent on the cruise. We did differrent things in each port (because the ports remained the same), and in Seward, my husband had enough time to go deep sea fishing for halibut (something you may be hard pressed to do there unless you stay there).

We were given the opportunity to remain in the same cabin, and found the ship's amenities to be excellent. Suffice it to say, I would go again in a heartbeat. We paid for an inside guarantee for under $600pp one way (2004) and got bumped up to an outside cabin the entire voyage. The ship did our laundry free of charge when we got into Seward while we were in port, and came back to the cabin to find a tray of appetizers and a bottle of champagne! Our room steward even brought us in a huge bouquet of flowers (probably left over from the last voyage) and treated us quite well. We were never rushed out of our stateroom; I slept in while my husband raced off to catch the fishing boat (he almost missed it) - we didn't have to go through US Immigration or Customs either. Just a simple visit to the Purser's desk for new cards.

I have to say, I swam laps just about every day and really enjoyed the ship that day my husband was out fishing (while in Seward). Staff really made me feel special. Also, my huband was able to bring back some fish, though we had to consume it before we got back into Vancouver. The dining room did an awesome job with it.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I contacted my TA to do the Northbound because it would be different compared the route I have done many times with Princess. After I saw the prices, I told her not to book me. If I hadn't been back to Alaska the past 4 years, I would probably have booked it.

The prices for an inside were only $83 more per person on the Pacific Princess (June 6, 2007 NB sailing) than the inside I originally booked on Radiance of the Seas (June 8, 2007 SB sailing), and that was from a discounter. And balcony cabins on Pacific were about $225 LESS per person than on Radiance! Check with a different TA!

We did the north/south bound voyages aboard the Star Princess a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed the two weeks we spent on the cruise. We did differrent things in each port (because the ports remained the same), and in Seward, my husband had enough time to go deep sea fishing for halibut (something you may be hard pressed to do there unless you stay there).

We were given the opportunity to remain in the same cabin, and found the ship's amenities to be excellent. Suffice it to say, I would go again in a heartbeat. We paid for an inside guarantee for under $600pp one way (2004) and got bumped up to an outside cabin the entire voyage. The ship did our laundry free of charge when we got into Seward while we were in port, and came back to the cabin to find a tray of appetizers and a bottle of champagne! Our room steward even brought us in a huge bouquet of flowers (probably left over from the last voyage) and treated us quite well. We were never rushed out of our stateroom; I slept in while my husband raced off to catch the fishing boat (he almost missed it) - we didn't have to go through US Immigration or Customs either. Just a simple visit to the Purser's desk for new cards.

I have to say, I swam laps just about every day and really enjoyed the ship that day my husband was out fishing (while in Seward). Staff really made me feel special. Also, my huband was able to bring back some fish, though we had to consume it before we got back into Vancouver. The dining room did an awesome job with it.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sounds like a great cruise! All of the Princess ships that sail one-way go to Whittier now rather than Seward.

Go Coral Princess, she is a great ship, and you can do more excursions. Also you can 'window shop' going up, and buy coming back. The entertainment in both theaters is excelient too. Good luck. john

Actually, Coral Princess has a good fare in August which was why I was considering it.

On the CB Princess they served lobster at the buffet the same nite as the formal dining room. Do they do this on the Coral and is the buffet good on the Coral? I ask because we would probably eat more at the buffet than in the formal dining room this time.

Veendam. HAL's S class ships have marvelous forward viewing decks perfect for Alaska.

Here's a link to my review. ignore the Club HAL comments. Since the SOE upgrades, HAL has added dedicated facilities for the kids.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=892

OK. I know this is Princess, so I'll start ducking now!:o

lol.....I looked at HAL ships because I heard the itineraries were really good BUT they require you to dress up even for the buffet which defeats the purpose of having an alternative dining room to those who don't want to dress up every night....that is unless their web site is wrong.

The prices for an inside were only $83 more per person on the Pacific Princess (June 6, 2007 NB sailing) than the inside I originally booked on Radiance of the Seas (June 8, 2007 SB sailing), and that was from a discounter. And balcony cabins on Pacific were about $225 LESS per person than on Radiance! Check with a different TA!

I probably should say - I have done the majority of my cruises for $3XX - $4XX pp to Alaska. The trick is I go in May and book last minute (Pacific is not sailing in May to Alaska). The thought of paying regular fares for Alaska just doesn't appeal to me. When I looked at the fares and realized I could easily go to Europe for less - after going to Alaska on 6 cruises the last 4 years - I am not willing to pay a lot of money to see something I know I can see for far less. I would have loved to see Alaska on a small ship but I am not going to pay a premium to do so. The early booking rates are pretty high IMO. My TA does discount, heavily.

I agree the rates are similiar to the going rates for the other lines. The difference is that the rates for the Pacific probably won't be reduced while the other ships will likely get a price reduction. The Pacific Princess sailings will probably just sell out.

I think you will have a fantastic time on the Pacific Princess. If Alaska was a one time cruise for me, I would jump on the ship because I really think this will be the best ship in Alaska next summer. Have a great trip!

Archived