Are there irons on Zenith?

PattiCake

I bring downey wrinkle spray. It works great! I do not think anyone should bring a iron on a ship, there is to0 much of a fire risk. Who wants their trip ruined by someone who forgot to shut the iron off. I'm all for a fire free trip. Use a wrinkle spray it may save a life.:eek:

A long time ago I got a fantastic packing tip from these boards. The tip was to hang each garment that can wrinkle in its own plastic bag, like the kind you get from the dry cleaners or the kind I've seen at dollar stores for storing out-of-season clothes (they cost me $1.00 each). Then, I put everything on these hangers into a large rolling garment bag that we have. When I get on the ship I pull everything out of the garment bag and hang it straight away in the closet. The plastic bags not only pad out the fabric a little, but they also help the garmets to slide against each other so they don't crease and wrinkle while in transit. I've done this on four cruises now, and it seems to work really well. It also solves the issue of running out of hangars on board.

Leela's tip is a great one, although I used the cleaner bags instead of the others because they are thinner.

I bring a travel iron but other frown on that.

To have a linen shirt washed and pressed on the ship is about 1/2 the price I have to pay on land, so I do use X for laundry.

I am probably going to get flamed for this but I just have to have my say. This is directly from the the U.S. Fire Administration website:

"The home appliances most often involved in electrical fires are electric stoves and ovens, dryers, central heating units, televisions, radios and record players."

It also states "Home electrical wiring causes twice as many fires as electrical

appliances."

I am sorry but an iron is no more of a fire hazard than a overheated TV set or hair dryer.

Cruiselines do not want irons because they want customers to use their service. This is a revenue game not a concern for safety. If it were then I guess they really should remove all the TV's and hair dryers from all the cabins.

I am probably going to get flamed for this but I just have to have my say. This is directly from the the U.S. Fire Administration website:

"The home appliances most often involved in electrical fires are electric stoves and ovens, dryers, central heating units, televisions, radios and record players."

It also states "Home electrical wiring causes twice as many fires as electrical

appliances."

I am sorry but an iron is no more of a fire hazard than a overheated TV set or hair dryer.

Cruiselines do not want irons because they want customers to use their service. This is a revenue game not a concern for safety. If it were then I guess they really should remove all the TV's and hair dryers from all the cabins.

Just so you won't feel disappointed about not being flamed.:D It really doesn't matter what you think their reasons for the ban on irons is all about. The plain fact of the matter is that RCCl does not permit irons in the cabins of any of the ships in the RCI or Celebrity fleets.

You can also find statistics that most accidents occur within a few miles from home, so I guess that as long as you stay hundreds of miles away, you will be pretty safe.:D

Actually, the obvious difference between an iron and say, a radio or TV, or other electrical appliances that can catch fire would be the large, hot surface meant for pressing, heating and releasing wrinkles from fabric.

Let's see........ships...waves.....large, hot surface now in contact with carpet. Seems to me if the radio falls to the floor........oh nevermind.

Don't think it's the 'electrical' part that's in question. JMHO.

Has anyone had any luck with a travel steamer? I am considering getting one, but the only friend I know who has one hates hers.

Any recommendations?

Has anyone had any luck with a travel steamer? I am considering getting one, but the only friend I know who has one hates hers.

Any recommendations?

I have seen several people comment about travel steamers that say they work great. Also...guess what...they are allowed by most lines.

Any recommendations?

We have one from Philips and it works well. That being said, you can hang the item in the bathroom with the shower steaming, and achieve somewhat satisfactory results.

I am also in agreement that irons should be left at home. It just is not worth it if the worst possibility should occur. I will get flamed for this, but there are some people who lack common sense, are just too stupid or who could care less and leave a hot iron active. Therefore it makes more sense for the cruise line to ban irons. Why take a chance?

Most people know that you aren't suppose to take a travel iron on board. Those that do bring one on-board (myself included) just don't care. I don't mean this in an argumentative way - I am just being honest. We're not suppose to save chairs, bring on alcohol or smoke on the wrong side of the ship either. The bottom line is I am a big girl and I don't like walking around in wrinkled clothing. Downey wrinkle release doesn't work (at least not for me - I have tried) and I am not about to send out all of my clothing to be pressed. Let's not turn this into a can we bring irons on board thread. The OP asked if their are any on board and the answer is no - she can decide if she wants to bring one on or send it out.

Most people know that you aren't suppose to take a travel iron on board. Those that do bring one on-board (myself included) just don't care. I don't mean this in an argumentative way - I am just being honest. We're not suppose to save chairs, bring on alcohol or smoke on the wrong side of the ship either. The bottom line is I am a big girl and I don't like walking around in wrinkled clothing. Downey wrinkle release doesn't work (at least not for me - I have tried) and I am not about to send out all of my clothing to be pressed. Let's not turn this into a can we bring irons on board thread. The OP asked if their are any on board and the answer is no - she can decide if she wants to bring one on or send it out.

She asked if there are irons onboard. A complete answer is not only "no" but also that Celebrity does not allow passengers to bring them onboard. It isn't her, or your, decision whether or not to follow their rules. By providing the complete answer we eliminate the need for the obvious follow up question and don't encourage her to break the rules.

Saying that you know the rules but "just don't care" seems pretty argumentative. I didn't realize it was okay to pick and choose which rules we should follow, especially those which could involve the safety of others.

How long in advance do you have to send things out to get pressed? ie: If I want my wrinkled drress for dinner when do I have to send it out. Thanks

If you send it out in the morning, it will be delivered to your cabin the next day in the afternoon. You can pay rush charges (rate and a half) and get it back the same day.

Archived