Seeking Effective Way to Get Free Cabin Upgrades

Carl in Tampa

In various forums I've seen references to getting free cabin upgrades.

I don't understand how this is done.

Do you simply ask for it?

If so, who do you ask and when do you ask for it.

Insight would be appreciated.

In various forums I've seen references to getting free cabin upgrades.

I don't understand how this is done.

Do you simply ask for it?

If so, who do you ask and when do you ask for it.

Insight would be appreciated.

I can only tell you about Carnival, as I have not sailed on the other lines. The only way I know to possibly get an upgrade is to book a guarantee in the cabin level of your choice. For instance - if you want a balcony cabin - you can book a balcony guarantee. The price is lower for a guarantee - then when they are assigning cabins - close to cruising time - they will put you in a remaining cabin equal to or better than the level that you paid for. You will not know what cabin you are assigned until embarkation.

For instance - we booked a balcony guarantee on the Glory - 8 gtee - we did not know our cabin number until embarkation. They assigned us an 8I - which was on the Panorama deck. This was a great upgrade - and now I am spoiled.

However - there is no guarantee you will be upgraded. It is the luck of the draw - and depends on what cabins have not been booked and paid for - and I am guessing that they take into consideration how much you originally paid, how often you cruise with them, how many are in your party, etc.

Do not book an inside room hoping to get an OV or balcony. You would most likely be very disappointed.

However - there is no guarantee you will be upgraded. It is the luck of the draw - and depends on what cabins have not been booked and paid for - and I am guessing that they take into consideration how much you originally paid, how often you cruise with them, how many are in your party, etc.

Do not book an inside room hoping to get an OV or balcony. You would most likely be very disappointed.

Our group- three women, two of whom were repeat Carnival cruisers, were repeatedly told by the Carnival agent that we would probably be upgraded and we shouldn't book a more expensive cabin. We were never upgraded. However, a friend who decided at the last minute to go with us booked a cabin and got an immediate upgrade to an outside cabin. He paid about the same for his cabin as we did. We suspect that part of it depends on how much you spent on previous cruises and how well the agent you go through advocates for you. That's why we think it's better to go with a private travel agent than to book directly through Carnival.

However, a friend who decided at the last minute to go with us booked a cabin and got an immediate upgrade to an outside cabin. He paid about the same for his cabin as we did. We suspect that part of it depends on how much you spent on previous cruises and how well the agent you go through advocates for you. That's why we think it's better to go with a private travel agent than to book directly through Carnival.

This post reminded me of another way to get a free upgrade. I always book with a Carnival PVP - not a TA - and Carnival often has sales that include several cat upgrades. My PVP will watch the sales (and so do I - on the Carnival web site) and if something comes up for reduced fare or upgrade all I have to do is call him. I was already booked in the cabin I wanted for my 1-6-07 sailing, so when the prices dropped - I got the credit. About $250/pp. Not bad.

It could be that your friend happened to book when there was a sale going on. If that happens again - contact your TA and ask them for the special.

I've learned that there is absolutely no rhyme nor reason to getting a "free" upgrade. We got one on an Alaskan cruise - HAL - first time ever sailing with that line, so no "history" for them to check. We had gotten our luggage tags, etc., for our oceanview cabin - at check-in, they told me we were booked in another cabin. I argued for a bit that, no, my papers said cabin XXXX, not YYYY, but ended up just accepting the change. Found we had been upgraded to a lovely balcony room. Never did find out why, but we were spoiled from then on.

I've learned that there is absolutely no rhyme nor reason to getting a "free" upgrade. We got one on an Alaskan cruise - HAL - first time ever sailing with that line, so no "history" for them to check. We had gotten our luggage tags, etc., for our oceanview cabin - at check-in, they told me we were booked in another cabin. I argued for a bit that, no, my papers said cabin XXXX, not YYYY, but ended up just accepting the change. Found we had been upgraded to a lovely balcony room. Never did find out why, but we were spoiled from then on.

That happened to me once and ever since I must have my balcony cabin. I think there is your answer to "why". :D

I almost always cruise solo and last minute (3-7 days before sailing). I almost always book a 1A guarantee on Carnival. I have been upgraded 4 out of the last 6 cruises, sometimes at the last minute (had to go through the entire process once using someone else's cabin number until being assigned my sail'n'sign card just before the security pic and boarding :) ).

Incidentally, I don't consider it an upgrade if I'm merely moved "up" to a higher deck. I actually prefer the lower decks. I have been upgraded from a 1A to a 4A (still inside but larger cabin), from a 1A to a 6A (inside to an oceanview) and from a 4A to a 5A (inside to an oceanview with French doors, no balcony, but obstructed view by lifeboats).

Also, incidentally, I NEVER book with a Carnival PVP. Always book online. Everything is e-mailed in BLACK AND WHITE all monies go directly to Carnival and a lot of the Carnival PVP's BS is eliminated. I frequently get cabins when Carnival shows "sold out". I'm guessing [operative word] that the online agencies that buy blocks of cabin are unloading them the last few days.

A friend I had met on another cruise (tablemates) just booked a 1A guarantee for herself a week out, called me last nite asked if I wanted to share a cabin with her, I said sure, we were then both immediately upgraded to a 4A for the same price (I don't think they like to put 2 adults in a 1A :confused: ). Leaving for NYC Monday night on the redeye for the VICTORY cruise out of New York to Nova Scotia. :)

I don't think there is any rhyme or reason for upgrades. I do think having cruised with a cruiseline often could be a factor, but I certainly have no proof of that. My roomy and I are both Platinum (10 or more) cruisers with Carnival.

There was a thread a couple of years ago on the Carnival Forum about a young newlywed couple on their FIRST cruise that were upgraded from an inside to the Owner's Suite (a suite on Fantasy Class ships that is never sold and traditionally only used by the big wigs) ! ! The pics were fantastic: 2 bedrooms, dressing area, bar, dining area, and on and on, all overlooking the Lido pool ! ! I repeat this was their FIRST cruise, so go figure ! ! :rolleyes:

its luck of the draw --happened to me once and was upgraded to a full suite on hal -----if there was a guaranteed sure way to get an upgrade and i knew how to do it do you think i would share that info with you guys

• 3 months later...

GLrounds--what a timely topic. My son and his wife went on their first cruise last week to celebrate their 13th anniv., Carnival to the W. Carib. (Not sure which ship) They had booked the cheapest cabin possible, expecting twin beds and a porthole. Not a guarantee--they had a cabin number on their luggage tags.

Imagine their shock when they were informed at check-in that they had been upgraded to a suite! :D King-size bed, balcony, jacuzzi--they are now doomed, as I would be if it happened to me. The cheapy cabins will not suffice. They said they now know why we like cruising so much, even without the suite upgrade, and they haven't experienced RCI or Celebrity yet. Of course, on the latter they probably wouldn't get an upgrade because almost all those cruises sell out.

My sister and her DH got an unexpected upgrade, also to a suite, on their 3-night E. Carib. on CCL a month ago.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

I have cruised more than 50 times on a variety of lines and itineraries, and have only received ONE upgrade, so I really do think it is luck of the draw. Have booked everything from inside to balcony and junior suites..sometimes there are promos going for a particular category on a particular sailing....Years ago, when NCL was a different product than what it is now, I cruised frequently with them, and after 27 cruises with NCL, I never got an upgrade. Royal Caribbean gave a so-called upgrade once, but it was the same cabin only 3 decks higher....to me, that is not a "real" upgrade.....the only REAL upgrade we ever got was our first cruise on Celebrity........we booked at the last minute and our TA recommended an inside guarantee....we were upgraded to an outside on our very first cruise with Celebrity.....of course it is now our favorite line (and the upgrade had NOTHING to do with it at all). One would think you could get a better deal booking directly with the cruise line "because the cruise line would not have to pay the travel agent's commission" - however, it is usually to the contrary and you get much better deals booking through an agent - especially one who does cruises only and is a well established seller of the particular line you are cruising...they have blocked "group" space. Establish a relationship with your agent....I used the same agent for years until she got out of the business and quickly found another and have been using him for 10 years!!! A competent and experienced agent is hard to find, so keep them once you find them!!! Once they know you and know what you like and are looking for, they will keep an eye out for you and inform you of any specials that may be of interest.

Suggest you consider what seems to be a clue in several posts to this thread. I have a firm belief that the first time you cruise with a line you will have the greatest chance of an upgrade. Not a sure thing mind you, but a better probability. How better to win your affection and future loyalty? It happened to us once, on our first cruise on Celebrity. Upgraded from an standard outside to a Sky Suite. It hooked us on having to book a balcony cabin! I've spent oodles with Celebrity since then and never an upgrade. It pays to move around apparently. :p

We have always booked a balcony since we started cruising in 2002. In April of this year we booked an outside cabin with HAL to Alaska because that was all that was available. Guess what? Upon arrival at the pier we had been upgraded to a balcony. Maybe what an earlier poster said was true - we are hooked on balconies so maybe HAL was concerned we would not spend as much money in the future if we booked a lower category! LOL. Our upgrade occurred with cruise #5 with HAL. Probably a once in a lifetime event IMO!

• 2 weeks later...

We have gotten a number of upgrades from Princess by booking an inside and getting upgraded to an OV Obstructed. That is a pretty common upgrade. We have been upgraded within catagories (inside / OV) where were we just moving up decks, so I do not consider those a true upgrade.

On Royal Caribbean it takes 24 cruises to have a diamond plus rating. Since reaching that we have been upgraded quite a few times. If there is an upgrade available they are more than willing to give one to those of us who are true repeaters

Mocorobabe

your chance of scoring an upgrade depends on many things - luck being the biggest. Each cruiseline has a different policy. NCL for example as an upsell desk that calls pax and offers upgrades to higher categories for a fee if those cabins are not selling. HAL is almost impossible to score an upgrade as their line attracts alot of loyal customers that book the PS and S categories so they are not usually plentiful for upgrade consideration. the best advice i can give is book the category that will ensure you will enjoy your vacation and don't count on an upgrade. If the upgrade fairy touches your booking, it will be a very pleasant unexpected surprise. happy sailing!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on 12 cruises and only "upgraded" once. My very first cruise. Had a mid ship cabin and was "upgraded" about two decks to the very front of the ship next to the anchor! Was dumb and didn't know to say "no" to that upgrade. When the TA called she made it sound as if there wasn't a choice. Now I would tell them to take a hike if I didn't like the upgrade. Had a great cruise anyway. It was annoying when we would get into port. Between the thrusters and the anchor there was no way to sleep.

Live and Learn!

• 1 month later...

we've been on many cruises and we have only been up graded once, our very first cruise, now i book the room i want where i want it, and ask for no upgrade. it is important to us to get the room that is in the middle of the ship and mid deck( we always get the deck 4) because i have MD and don't know when i might go out of remission.. best thing is get that room from beginning if it's important to you to be a certain place, other wise, just enjoy the ship, don,t worry about the room.

Guess I have been lucky. I have been ugraded 3 out of 4 cruises- with 1 cruise I chose the stateroom and got what I paid for.

The first cruise I paid for an inside guarantee and got upgraded to an outside cabin with porthole. The second cruise I opted for a specific room, and that's what I got- what I had chosen. The third cruise was DH's first cruise and also our anniversary- I paid for an inside guarantee and got a balcony with obstructed view and french doors. The cruise I'm going on in a few weeks, I paid for an inside guarantee, and when I got my docs this was what I was getting, however, after hearing my DH's comments of our previous cruise and wanting to be able to hear the ocean from the stateroom, I decided to upgrade to a balcony guarantee (8) and was upgraded to yes a balcony, but with wrap deck, which is considered to be 4 levels higher and $300 pp more that what I paid....... so I guess it depends on what you're willing to spend and what is available and luck of the draw.... I lucked out twice when paying for an inside cabin guarantee and getting bumped to an outside cabin- but I'm sure if one keeps buying the lowest fare, one is bound to get it.

As most of the people allued to, spend the lowest amount of money on the cabin grade (a guarantee) that you're willing to "live in" for the time of your cruise. It is the rare that you pay for the lowest room and get a suite!

A note: each of my cruises have been with Carnival and have not yet tried any other cruiselines.

• 2 weeks later...
I've learned that there is absolutely no rhyme nor reason to getting a "free" upgrade.

I've heard that it is more likely you will get upgraded if you book your cruise directly through the cruise line, rather than through a TA. I always book through TA's and I've never received a significant upgrade, yet I have friends who routinely book directly through an inside HAL representative, and they routinely get nice upgrades. But, of course, they may be paying more to begin with since a TA can often get you better deals.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have often been upgraded from a cheaper inside to higher deck inside but only once on Celebrity did I get a true upgrade from on outside to a balcony. That was my TA taht got that for me as they let her know just before we sailed that the ship was only 50% sold & did she have anygood clients aboard who should be upgraded.

Teh bad part was taht we already had our luggage tags etc and our luggage ended up in the wrong room - but we went and found it OK.

• 3 weeks later...

I have only cruised on Carnival, but so far I am getting more than my money's worth. I book a year ahead of time. If you have a good PCP, they will call you when a good opportunity comes up, but also keep your eyes open, for the price to go down. We went from an 8A guarantee to an 8I balcony that is bigger than the stateroom this year. Plus they knocked $200 off the price, and this was 4 months out from sailing.

Just keep in touch with your PCP, you see a good sale going on, call them, and see what they can do with your reservation.

It's worked for me so far.

The time I didn't get an upgrade, it was with a TA. They are paid on commission, PCPs are salaried.

Leeotampa

April 2008 Freedom

May 2007 Legend

Thanksgiving 2006 Sensation (I don't recommend this one)

March 2006 Miracle

We were "upgraded" once from an unobstructed ocean view to a cabin on a higher deck that had the window washer parked outside it! We complained and were told that the cruiseline considered it an upgrade since it was on a higher deck and anyway, "the window washer isn't always there." We asked when it wasn't there, and they said it moved when the ship was in port and the windows were being cleaned! :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

I think I'd rather do without "upgrades" like that! The ship was full, and it was halfway through the cruise before they finally moved us to a better cabin. We eventually got some compensation in the form of future cruise credit, but who needs this kind of aggravation?

• 3 weeks later...

Our first cruise with Disney they upgrades us about two weeks out from a oceanview to a balcony. It was about a 1600 upgrade because it was for their mexico sailing. Now I am totally spoiled. Good luck!