HAL- Is it true what they say about age?

tgmtgm

John, what I was really trying to advise is that if you don't want any surprises then book a specifric cabin.

Sometimes even then you get a surprise, but it reduces the chances.

If you book a guarantee and have your file marked "no upgrades" you may still be upgraded, but your request may be honored.

Agreed Ruth, solid advice:)

I just came home today from Westerdam to Alaska and the age range was huge - lots of young families. I was quite surprised. We found far older people on Oceania's Insignia last fall. There certainly were people in their 80's but I think the families outnumbered them on this cruise.

As for an upgrade: we were asked if we wanted to upgrade from our HH guarantee to a veranda for $100 each. I told my travel agent yes, but not on floor 8. Too noisy overhead. She got us 7092 which we loved. At first we were concerned being so close to the elevator but never heard it, nor were the passengers noisy. It was VERY convenient for eating. We could change clothes and go to the shows. Great location.

By the way, this ship has terrific stabilizers. We hardly felt a thing. Some folks had patches but probably didn't need them.

Tony,

I also booked an HH guarantee (obstructed view) on the same cruise. Like you, I'm hoping I DON'T get upgraded, at least not to an outside cabin on a deck other than the Lower Promenade. I've been in one of those obstructed view cabins on the Lower Prom twice, and they're great. The easy access to the Lower Prom wraparound deck cancels out the partially obstructed view, IMO.

Now if they want to upgrade me to a veranda, that's another story.....:D. I kind of enjoy the suspense of participating in the cabin potluck and not finding until a few days or weeks beforehand where exactly I'm going to be on the ship.

Roz

On our 10-day in March/April, we requested a specific room number and said no upgrade, and we got what we asked for.

Re: age, I knew & expected there to be many passengers over the age of 50. We were by far the youngest couple onboard (32 & 33) -I'd say ages ranged from 30's-90s, majority between 60-90, with only a few (5-10) kids & teens.

It was still a little odd to see, but everyone was so friendly, it wasn't an issue after the first initial shock. I was surprised that many were up late hours dancing and up early speed walking on the Lower Promenade!

Last year we were on Zaandam for a Western Carb. the average age was 75 or above. I may have seen 100 passengers under under the age of 75. On this particular cruise the ship was dead by 10pm because I guess everyone was in bed.

This year when my hubby suggest Holland America for another cruise I wasn't very excited but was willing to give it another try just in case it was a repeat of the previous cruise. Well we just come back from Alaska on the Oosterdam and its passengers were from 1 year to 99. It was a good mix and we had a great time.

By the way, the Oosterdam which is my fifth cruise has the best entertainment. Vuk Rajcevic, the cruise director and his funny staff kept everyone entertained. They interact with passengers, wheather its golf by the pool or a game show at night. Also the ship singers and dancers were wonderful, not to leave out Joel Mason who I could sit and watch every day. Can you tell I didn't want to leave.

Missygirl:)

Archived