HAL- Is it true what they say about age?

tgmtgm

Greetings everyone!

I am contemplating taking my first HAL cruise, ten day southern carribean on the Volendam on Nov. 13th. Is it true what they say about the majority of fellow passengers being in their 70's and 80's? I personally don't care what a persons age is, as long as their attitude is positive and fun loving. My concern is that when I mention my interest in taking a HAL cruise to my friends and family, they say that I will definetly feel out of place because of my age(37). Will I feel out of place, or is today's HAL more diverse in the ages of people that it attracts. Thanks!

Tony.

I started sailing with HAL when I was 33; I've never felt out of place. Can't just be "that's me".

A 10-day cruise will tend to have an older crowd than a 7-day. A Caribbean cruise is slightly younger than average. The R-class ships (the Volendam is one) will have a slightly older crowd than the Vista's.

In none of these is the majority in the 70's or 80's, though. Many, yes. But there will also be many in the 40's, 50's and 60's. And a smattering of even younger.

A few cruises ago I was assigned a roomie with quite a few years on me. When I came toddling in at 2:00 AM she was still out playing.

Go and have a good time.

I am 49 years old, have been sailing HAL for well over 20 years and found it to be my cruise line. Is it true that you will encounter some older guests onboard, absolutely. But I have always found everyone very friendly and very well rounded travelers. Remember, some people are old at 20 years old. I think you will enjoy the Volendam, I have been on her 3 times and loved each cruise.

Age is relative. If the experience of classy, elegant cruise on a beautiful ship is what you are looking for, without all the frenetic activities offered by some other cruise lines, then age should have very little impact. Our son was 21 when he took his first cruise with us on HAL and he had a ball! When I asked him if he felt out of place, he said NO WAY. When I asked where he wanted to cruise next year (after he comes with us to the western carribean on the Veendam) he said, without hesitation: "Alaska on HAL".

Tony,

I've started a roll call for the Nov. 13 Volendam cruise. If you decide to book, come on over and sign up.

I'm in my early 50s. Last year I took my first 10-day cruise. It was in December on the Veendam. It was a much older crowd than was on my 7-day Caribbean cruise the year before. That said, having a older crowd onboard worked in my favor in a lot of ways. Never had trouble finding a chair near the pool. Plenty of seats at the late show. A relaxed atmosphere.

If you're looking for a more sophisticated, adult experience, I think you'll enjoy HAL. The only way you're going to know if HAL is for you is to give it a try.

Roz

I remember worrying about that :)

But I wanted to sail on the Oosterdam, so I figured I had to give it a try - I couldn't have been more comfortable!

The newer Vista-class ships will attract a bit younger crowd than, say, the S-Class or Prinsendam will, but I've felt extremely comfortable on all the HAL ships I've been on. In fact, looking at Alaska this year, we looked at a couple different lines but went with HAL again because it's just so d*mn good!

That's baloney. Unfortunately, HAL has this reputation as a retirement home on the high seas. I find the passenger makeup is one which enjoys a subdued and classy trip - with a bit of fun on the side - but that has nothing to do with age. I'm 41 and thoroughly enjoyed my last cruise with HAL and currently rank them as #1 in my books. The average age of the passengers was likely in their fifties but there were many below and over that on the last cruise.HAL does have quiet young singles and couples and does have facilities for children and teens. It's just not a party cruise line which I think causes the stereotyping to the other extreme.

I just wished I had found HAL when I was in my twenties.

Age demographics certainly can vary, depending up itinerary, season, length of cruise, etc., but I don't believe that the age average has been as high as 70s on any cruise on any line that I have taken. (30+ cruises and counting.)

50s/60s I would believe for HAL, and I am comfortable with that, even if that puts me above average!

I've been cruising with HAL since I was 48 and have never felt out of place.....meaning I never felt like I'd been thrown in a floating retirement home. I initiated my DW to cruising when she was 38 and she loves HAL. Yes, there are some older passengers but there are some younger passengers too. I'd also say, though there are fringe exceptions, that the vast majority of passengers get around pretty well, without regard to age. In my opinion too much is made of cruising being the vacation of choice of the old, that's simply not true, at least not today.

I'm 36 and did my first HAL cruise in March. I had a great time largely b/c I was on a brand new ship and the itinerary was great. I agree with other posters that demographics will vary from cruise to cruise, but my cruise definitely skewed much older (I knew this would be the case going in), and some of these people did not have a "positive, sun loving attitude." But that's true of folks all around.

I feel there are other more suitable cruising choices for me, so while I will sail HAL again, it would only be under certain conditions. Overall, I don't think you will feel out of place. If you go, just make sure you are flexible enough to deal with folks of all ages and a generally more subdued crowd and set of activities.

On our Alaskan cruise with HAL, there was quite a mixture of age groups - I think you will find that with all lines going to alaska, since it seems to be a very popular intinerary.

On our Westerdam 7 day Caribbean cruise, also a good mix of ages, even though it tended towards over 50 - but definitely not a senior's 70-80 cruise.

Now when we were o n Half Moon Cay - 2 very interesting conversations came up...

1- While swimming in the ocean, began talking to a 30-something girl who was on the 10 day Maasdam (both ships were docked at HMC the same day)...she did say that the age average tended to the 60's - probably closer to 70 - and I would tend the chalk that up tp the fact that it was a 10 day cruise....

2-A few of us got talking while sitting on the beach under our clamshells (I REALLY MISS THAT!) and this same conversation of HAL and age came up... This 40-something guy menioned he had been on a Celebrity cruise to Panama (full crossing) and he swore the average age was 75!!!! He said there were so many wheelchairs and quite of the few elderly taking spills and breaking bones....So my second thought is that longer, more expensive, exotic itineraries will attract an older crowd (both for monetary reasons and for ability to take longer vacations/or being retired) NO MATTER WHAT LINE you choose....

with that being said, I prefer to be surrounded by the luxuries and amenities that are a signature of HAL (artwork, fresh flowers, COMFY beds, BREAD PUDDING -haha!) -

CJcruzer

Tony,

I was about your age when I made my first cruise on HAL.

Yes, I've seen a lot of "seasoned citizens" aboard damships. But I've never felt out of place and have seen lots of people from all across the generational demographic spectrum.

It is not the age, it is the attitude and the attitude is subdued and traditional. I went with my husband but I didn't think it would be a good cruise for a young single who wasn't expecting a subdued, traditional experience.

Thanks everyone for your quick replies and insights. I am confident that I would have no problems fitting in on HAL. Although I do like some nightlife, I am kinda past the all-night party routine. Give me a good martini and some good conversation, and my evening is set! I notice that some people mentioned a more "subdued" atmosphere onboard. Does that mean that people keep to themselves more? That would be kind of disappointing if true.

The itinerary of this cruise as well as the excellent price for a single person really has me interested. I most certainly will decide within the next day or so if it is a go. Once again, thanks for the help.

Tony.

For "subdued" you could possibly substitute a word like "dignified" or "grown-up." What I think my fellow HAL fans are referring to is that you won't see activities like hairy-chest competitions around the pool or hear incessant, intrusive announcements on the public address system all day long on sea days.

And I would add, on the topic of age, that when you do see an elderly person getting about on board with the aid of a walker or a scooter, just think how much easier for him/her it would be to stay home. These folks are intrepid travelers who love to cruise.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide.

We just finished our 1st HAL cruise and we are late 40s. We loved it and will be back. While we did have 70-80 year olds on board, our ship to Canada/New England seemed to have a majority of 40-60 year olds. What amazed me most was the crew.... do they put some type of happy pill in their food? Amazing people, amazing service (with the exception of the Pinnacle Grill - but the food made up for it :( ).

We actually interacted with more people on HAL then on our Princess cruise to Alaska. Got to know all the Black Jack Dealers and several other passengers. I think you'll do just fine.

You will find pax of all ages on HAL. My wife and I are in our 40ties and started sailing with HAL in our 30ties. They are without a doubt our favorite line after trying others. You probably won't find as much nightlife on HAL as you will find on Carnival and/or RCI (allthough Caribbean cruises tend to be more "younger" than Alaskan and European ones) but you can still have a great time and find good company, especially on the formal nights. Have a good time!

Just a quick update, went ahead and put my deposit down on the Volendam cruise. Thanks for all the positive feedback, it helped with my decision.

I booked a cat. HH grty., but was wondering if it would be better to pick a specific cabin in that catagory. I don't mind not having a view, but I definetly want to be on the lower promenade deck. If an upgrade comes along, what are the chances of being relocated on another deck? I certainly do not want to be upgraded into those cat. g cabins at the very front of dolphin deck. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Tony.

we are young (25 & 32) and did not feel out of place on the HAL ship (westerdam), I had heard that too and was pleasently surprised.

I had also heard I mide get snide comments and "looks" for brining a kid on board- neither happened, in fact people were quite the opposite.

I booked a cat. HH grty., but was wondering if it would be better to pick a specific cabin in that catagory.

If you book a guarantee you have to be prepared to accept any (and all) cabins in that category or higher. If there's anyplace(s) on the ship that you do not want to be, or specific place(s) that you do want to be, then it may be better to book a specific cabin.

You can ask your TA to have your file marked "do not upgrade", but there's no guarantee (:confused: did I say that?) it won't happen.

If you book a guarantee you have to be prepared to accept any (and all) cabins in that category or higher. If there's anyplace(s) on the ship that you do not want to be, or specific place(s) that you do want to be, then it may be better to book a specific cabin.

You can ask your TA to have your file marked "do not upgrade", but there's no guarantee (:confused: did I say that?) it won't happen.

So...... allow me to have a stab at this:eek: What you're saying is, if you have your TA have your file marked "do not upgrade" there's no guarantee that you will not not get an upgrade even though you have a guarantee! Did I get that right?;)

Tony,

I'm glad to read that you booked the cruise. Have no fears about meeting people for conversation. I have found that it is easy to strike up a conversation anywhere that people are having a bite to eat or leaning against the rail admiring the scenery. Be sure that you ask for a large table at dinner so that your chances for great dinner conversation are enhanced.

The one place I have felt uncomfortable as a solo has been in the Explorer's Lounge. The people seem to congregate there as groups or couples, and the conversations are usually rather quiet because people are enjoying the music. Still, I'd rather enjoy my Spanish coffee solo and hear good music than be in a noisier bar elsewhere, so it works for me.

John,

I speak from experience. We specifically said "No Upgrade" for one cruise and were surprised with a supposed five category upgrade, H to C. (same size cabin, same deck further forward - but under the noisy area of the kitchen!) No chance to change back as the ship was full and our cabins were reassigned to others.

John,

I speak from experience. We specifically said "No Upgrade" for one cruise and were surprised with a supposed five category upgrade, H to C. (same size cabin, same deck further forward - but under the noisy area of the kitchen!) No chance to change back as the ship was full and our cabins were reassigned to others.

No problem! Ruth gave out some good advice. As long as you let your TA (or HAL) know what you want or don't want in the way of an upgrade(s), there should not be any surprises!

No problem! Ruth gave out some good advice. As long as you let your TA (or HAL) know what you want or don't want in the way of an upgrade(s), there should not be any surprises!

John, what I was really trying to advise is that if you don't want any surprises then book a specifric cabin.

Sometimes even then you get a surprise, but it reduces the chances.

If you book a guarantee and have your file marked "no upgrades" you may still be upgraded, but your request may be honored.

Archived