Westerdam Cabin

Crazy

I logged on to Hollland America and found my cabin assignment and it was 4185. This was the first time I had booked a "SZ GUAR" and it looks like I am got a "SC 4185". Looks good but I would appreciate anyone's comments.

Emily

So Happy For You. That Is A Great Upgrade.

We Also Had A Sz Guarantee For June 4.

We Finally Got Our Cabin And We Got An Ss Which We Are Thrilled About.

Have A Great Cruise. We Will Be Getting Off When You Are Getting On. Sad For Us And Good For You.

Happy Cruising

Shirl

CONGRATULATIONS CRAZY!

You were blessed with an awesome upgrade...you've got one of those amazing aft corner balcony "suites" with a wrap-around verandah! We specifically booked one of them for our upcoming cruise...never did I imagine we could get one booking a lower category guarantee. When do you cruise Emily?

We've never sailed with HAL before, it is those aft corner suites with the wrap-around balcony that made me book with them. The only thing that I've discovered in my HAL WESTERDAM research over the past 15 months that might be a concern is that the passengers on the balconies above yours will be able to see down into yours...if that doesn't bother you, it isn't a problem. See the VISTA CLASS SHIP picture (of the Zuiderdam)I've "attached" and you'll get a rough idea of what I'm talking about. (Let me express my apologies to the person who took the picture, as I can't give them credit.)

Debjo

WESTERDAMResearchStarAftCrnrBalconiesZuid.jpg.5dd324ac6b1d2bfdd7e2514449f1ab95.jpg

I will be cruising in the next couple of weeks. I went back to the web site to check again to make I actually had that cabin. I was certainly surprised and I play the lottery every week so maybe I am having a good week.

It looks like a great location and I will be sure and let everyone know when I get back. This will be my first on the Westerdam. After this cruise my next one is the Panama Canal in February 2007 on the Volendam.

Emily

Congratulations on an awesome upgrade! We have that very same room booked for the 10/22 Western Caribbean cruise. PLEASE post a review when you get back. I'd really love to hear your impressions, good and bad, of the room. Have a great time!

For Crazy...

Got a question for you...I was looking at my WESTERDAM brochure at the "SZ" Category and noticed two things: 1. There is only ONE "SZ" cabin on the WESTERDAM and 2. The brochure didn't show any pricing for the "SZ" Category...listing it as "NA". When I checked through all the "copies" that I made of the HAL pricing on their website (that I have "copied" on a regular basis since I first booked my Oct '06 cruise back in Aug '05) I noticed that that "SZ" pricing has always remained constant at $3,167.88 and almost always was labeled as "closed". The "SC" cabin that I booked was $2,067.88 at the time of booking and has gone down since then. So, what "is" the advantage of booking the "SY" Guarantee at the "higher" price?

Debjo (always curious and trying to understand things better)

For Crazy...

Got a question for you...I was looking at my WESTERDAM brochure at the "SZ" Category and noticed two things: 1. There is only ONE "SZ" cabin on the WESTERDAM and 2. The brochure didn't show any pricing for the "SZ" Category...listing it as "NA". When I checked through all the "copies" that I made of the HAL pricing on their website (that I have "copied" on a regular basis since I first booked my Oct '06 cruise back in Aug '05) I noticed that that "SZ" pricing has always remained constant at $3,167.88 and almost always was labeled as "closed". The "SC" cabin that I booked was $2,067.88 at the time of booking and has gone down since then. So, what "is" the advantage of booking the "SY" Guarantee at the "higher" price?

Debjo (always curious and trying to understand things better)

The guarantee price I got was $2,029.00 "SZ GUAR" -- Alaska on the June 11 sailing. I always check their web site before booking and I also had a "promo" from Holland America -- I use the same TA and I never did notice that the price dropped because if it had I would have called my TA. I am happy with my "SC" cabin.

Happy Camper I am.

CONGRATULATIONS CRAZY!

You were blessed with an awesome upgrade...you've got one of those amazing aft corner balcony "suites" with a wrap-around verandah! We specifically booked one of them for our upcoming cruise...never did I imagine we could get one booking a lower category guarantee. When do you cruise Emily?

We've never sailed with HAL before, it is those aft corner suites with the wrap-around balcony that made me book with them. The only thing that I've discovered in my HAL WESTERDAM research over the past 15 months that might be a concern is that the passengers on the balconies above yours will be able to see down into yours...if that doesn't bother you, it isn't a problem. See the VISTA CLASS SHIP picture (of the Zuiderdam)I've "attached" and you'll get a rough idea of what I'm talking about. (Let me express my apologies to the person who took the picture, as I can't give them credit.)

Debjo

We were in 4180...believe me...the only folks that have a view of the 4185 are the ones directly above you. If you hang out on the wrap around side, it is completely private. Completely AWESOME! You totally hit jackpot.

I believe you will think you got the hottest piece of real estate on the ship.

It will be memorable!

For Crazy...

Thanks so much for helping me understand how the "guarantee" works...we've always booked by cabin number and "hand-pick" our cabins from the very beginning.

Well, it sounds like you DID get a great deal...I hadn't realized you were on an Alaskan Cruise...the only "book" I have from HAL for the Westerdam is for Caribbean trips. From everything that I've read, Alaska trips always seem to be much more expensive than the Caribbean ones. I'll look forward to hearing how you enjoy your aft corner suite with the wrap-around balcony after you return...June 11th isn't too far now. HAVE A TERRIFIC TRIP! (Alaska is the next cruise on my "list".)

Debjo

I loved 4185 on Oosterdam for my second Alaska cruise - I had to book it 18 months in advance so that I could have it!

One of the best things is lying in bed at night, looking at the wake of the ship through the glass doors as you drift off to sleep...

...then having breakfast in bed the next am!

The only thing that could make this better for you is if you find that you have friends in the stateroom next door :)

Congrats and enjoy!!!

CONGRATS!!! What an excellent upgrade. My DH and I just returned from the Westerdam 6-5. We were upgraded to an aft stateroom as well, not a suite granted, but we felt just as lucky. We were in 4176. You might also notice that the aft verandah's are twice if not more deep as the port and starboard ones. Having room for loungers makes for perfect napping.

Yes verandahs above can see onto yours but it was never a problem for us. We often exchanged good mornings with the folks one floor up over coffee at the railings. On the plus side, the back verandahs are also shielded from most of the wind. AND you get to see both sides of the passing scenery. One suggestion would be to have the Steward bring in dry cushions and keep them on the covered portion or inside when you aren't on the deck. All that Alaskan drizzle, you know.

I wonder if people are hesitant about the back because so many posts mention the movement of the ship. We actually found it much more pronounced at the front, and at higher levels than the 4th floor. To me it was like being rocked gently to sleep. Considering we had rough seas, a gentle rocking was a good thing.

I agree wholeheartedly with Brian. Opening the curtians to watch the soothing wake was a delight. It was interesting to watch the way the Captian used the engines and thrusters. When he spun the ship 180 degrees in glacier Bay it was fascinating.

Needless to say, the only cabins we were envious of were the suites at the corners............ Enjoy!

OH!!! Word of advice........ALWAYS use the back elevators or stairs....Walk to them before your floor or you get the ENDless HALLWAY!!!

We board the Westerdam on Sunday and our aft cabin assignment (it, too, was a guarantee) is amazingly close to the cabin that you occupied.

Do you feel that you were able to view the glaciers sufficiently well from the aft or do you recommend that we co-opt a place on deck?

Thank you!

Thanks for all the nice comments. I keep going to the Holland America website and log in to see if my stateroom had changed. I have printed out my immigration form and am ready to go. I have no idea how I got this upgrade but I am a happy camper.

I will be sure and post when I get back. In the past my nephew has traveled with me and we have brought my computer and uploaded pictures everyday. I am not taking my computer but I will post pictures when I get back.

I think everyone who have read my posts know that I only cruise on Holland America -- I love the "Dam" ships.

Emily

n.b. My girl friend is going with me -- this will be our second time to Alaska -- we went ten years ago on I believe on the old Noordam.

We board the Westerdam on Sunday and our aft cabin assignment (it, too, was a guarantee) is amazingly close to the cabin that you occupied.

Do you feel that you were able to view the glaciers sufficiently well from the aft or do you recommend that we co-opt a place on deck?

Thank you!

We did Glacier Bay and opted to go to the sheltered deck just outside the Crow's Nest ( a bar NOT to be missed by the way). We wanted to enjoy the Glacier Baileys - hot chocolate with Bailey's Irish cream. Our full back view balcony wouldn't have given us the greatest view, but a corner on the glacier side would have been heaven.

We also lucked out and had one of the 4 monthly sunny days at Glacier Bay......People were shedding coats and getting sunburned. Great Fun!

CONGRATS!!! We were in 4176. You might also notice that the aft verandah's are twice if not more deep as the port and starboard ones. Having room for loungers makes for perfect napping.

Thanks for the heads up on that cabin. I'm holding it for 24 hours (until I can get in touch with my traveling DH) for the spring eastbound TA to Rome. Your post just cemented the deal for me.

Thanks a bunch!

Terri

Archived