Cruise Directors

julinue

Simon's vacation recently ended. He is now Hotel Director on the Mercury.

Where you on Mercury recently.?

When we cruised just before Christmas there was a new Hotel Director mid cruise but not Simon.

Do you know when the change occured?

Where you on Mercury recently.?

When we cruised just before Christmas there was a new Hotel Director mid cruise but not Simon.

Do you know when the change occured?

No, we haven't been on the Mercury, but he told us during our 10/29 Millie cruise that after his vacation ended, he would be on the Mercury as Hotel Director in January.

No, we haven't been on the Mercury, but he told us during our 10/29 Millie cruise that after his vacation ended, he would be on the Mercury as Hotel Director in January.

Thanks... I think it's a shame for cruisers. He was a fantastic CD.

• 3 years later...

I've never thought that much about Cruise Directors but that was before STUART TURNBULL from Canada. He has such a great sense of humor and personality. He can make you laugh just by the way he stands on the stage. I think he would make a great Stand-up Comedian. When the Mercury was plagued by the Noro Virus...he made it fun to "WASH YOUR HANDS". Now that the Mercury has been sold, I hope that Celebrity keeps him!!

I would put Simon Weir at the top of the list of CDs.

We were on the Millie in March in Arica. I not sure if any cruise director has been as tested as he was on this cruise. If you remember, this was the cruise where 12 passingers were killed on a shore excursion. Simon did a fantastic job keeping the ship informed to the situation. He had to balance the grieving of a large group with whom these passingers were members as well as continue to support the "fun" that people expected on a vacation.

He did a fantastic job. We would sail with him anytime -- anywhere again.

Simon Weir will be on top of my X CD list. Maybe we were just not very lucky, not having a good CD during our 15 Celebrity cruises.

Have just been on the Century sailing round the Mediterranean. Sue Denning is the Cruise Director. She is the best one we have seen on any cruise and we have done over 70. I am not saying this because she only lives 30 miles from us. Many other guests confirmed that she was brilliant. Most days she would be welcoming guests back as they returned to the ship. She also attended the various parties and walked round the ship during the day.

Refeering a water polo match between the ship's officers and passengers, she bent the rules to the amusement of the spectators. We have never seen this on any ship.

I haven't been through all 84 posts in this thread, but when I saw it, I knew immediately I had a place to compliment our latest CD. We were on Celebrity Solstice a few weeks ago and had the great pleasure of meeting Paul Baya. He is new with Celebrity, although he is not new to cruising or the position of CD. We have been on 50+ cruises, and I can say without reserve that he was the best Cruise Directors we have encountered. There have been other good ones, but Paul has to top the list.

In addition to being good at the usual CD duties (like planning activities and bringing on good entertainment), he is a performer. He doesn't just think he can sing, he can really sing - and dance. It was so much fun to see him join in with the party band and other musicians. Some CDs are so stand-offish and act like they're very superior; some are friendly and visible. Paul is definitely the latter. My DH stopped to compliment him early on in the cruise, and Paul remembered his name the rest of the week. That's a talent in itself when there are over 3000 passengers on the ship in any given week.

Paul Baya was so good, I would choose a particular trip based on the fact that he was the CD on that ship. He is a great addition to the Celebrity family.

I've never thought that much about Cruise Directors but that was before STUART TURNBULL from Canada. He has such a great sense of humor and personality. He can make you laugh just by the way he stands on the stage. I think he would make a great Stand-up Comedian. When the Mercury was plagued by the Noro Virus...he made it fun to "WASH YOUR HANDS". Now that the Mercury has been sold, I hope that Celebrity keeps him!!

I totally agree. Stewart is the best! It is because of Stewart that we have booked two more cruises on the Mercury before she is retired, including the farewell cruise. I hope he lets us know where he is headed after February 2011.

Archived