Cruise tips for a Panama Canal Cruise?

chrismch

Posted this request on the ports section and got no response, but lots of views. Hoping to get response here as the Panama Canal seems to be a popular place to cruise... We're doing the full transit from FL to CA at the end of the year. For past cruisers, what was your best experience on the Panama Canal cruise (other than the joy of just relaxing on sea days)? What was your favorite excursion? What excursion do you think you could have missed? What do you wish you had done but didn't? What's your favorite souvenir or memory of the trip? :p

If Cartagena is a port - Emeralds! And, leather goods...

Locally hand crafted gold filagree with gems of the 98th+ percentile quality make for heirloom quality souvenirs (with emeralds, think clarity then color, light are less than darker; the locals sell loose ones accordingly by the carat there's plenty to compare!). You ought to be able to get 25% or so off from a reputable jeweler on set jewelry if you ask the right way. I'm sorry I didn't buy an ore rock with stones in it as a curio.

Well tooled leather is also available at good prices.

Beats the junk in most ports.

The best thing we did was to sit on the balcony with a nice bottle of wine during the transit through the locks. It was great to hang out and watch the process. On another cruise, we took a small ferry through the first set of locks to experience it from a smaller view. The contrast was awesome.

As for excursions, we were on HAL and the ports probably aren't the same. We made a stop in Nicaragua and ended in Costa Rica.

Enjoy!

Patricia

Best tours were the Costa Rican Traditions in Puntarenas. Had a great guide that passed on lots of information about the country and the traditions.

Also the glass bottom boat ride in the Grand Caymans was well worth the time. They had a diver that even brought the fish up to the side of the boat for a good look. I think they now have a submarine you can do the same sort of trip on.

Worst tour was the Appleton Estate Rum tour. Takes 2 1/2 hours each way on poor roads for a 30 minute tour. Save you money and time on that one.

Enjoy the cruise. It was one of the best ones we have been on.

Ralph

One of the best tips we received from previous cruisers was not to remain on the balcony (or in any one place) while going through the locks, but to move around the ship to get different perspectives. Go up high at the front of the ship for the views approaching and entering the locks, and go sit out on the deck at the stern (or on an aft balcony) to get close-up views of the locks closing behind you. Walk around to get the views from both the port and starboard sides.

The best viewing spots up at the front are usually crowded for the approach to the first set of locks, but the crowds thin out considerably by the time you approach the second and third set.

Go out on the helicopter pad for a while. When it gets too hot out there, head back up to the air conditioned indoor lounge at the front with the wide panoramic views. Spend some time there just relaxing and enjoying the scenery unfolding before you in cool comfort as you cruise through Gatun Lake and the Gaillard Cut. It can be helpful to have a map of the canal with you so you can track your course as you cruise along, and plan where you want to take breaks for meals or other activities.

Go down to the lower decks to get entirely different views of the locks from below. You can practically reach out and touch the walls of the locks from there, and get really close views of some of the mules at eye level. The whole experience is amazing.

One of the best tips we received from previous cruisers was not to remain on the balcony (or in any one place) while going through the locks, but to move around the ship to get different perspectives. Go up high at the front of the ship for the views approaching and entering the locks, and go sit out on the deck at the stern (or on an aft balcony) to get close-up views of the locks closing behind you. Walk around to get the views from both the port and starboard sides.

The best viewing spots up at the front are usually crowded for the approach to the first set of locks, but the crowds thin out considerably by the time you approach the second and third set.

Go out on the helicopter pad for a while. When it gets too hot out there, head back up to the air conditioned indoor lounge at the front with the wide panoramic views. Spend some time there just relaxing and enjoying the scenery unfolding before you in cool comfort as you cruise through Gatun Lake and the Gaillard Cut. It can be helpful to have a map of the canal with you so you can track your course as you cruise along, and plan where you want to take breaks for meals or other activities.

Go down to the lower decks to get entirely different views of the locks from below. You can practically reach out and touch the walls of the locks from there, and get really close views of some of the mules at eye level. The whole experience is amazing.

Yes. Move about the ship as it transits the locks.

You may want to be at the front of the ship as they enter and exit the last set of locks.

As you are making the westbound transit.

There may be a roadway bridge they use for cars to go across and this moves just before the locks open.

We had it in out Galaxy transit out back into the Atlantic.

Just a lot of interesting things to watch.

If Puntarenas Costa Rica is on the itinerary, skip the river tour on the Tarcoles river unless you are thrilled at seeing shore birds and crocodiles. We took it because the tour description mentioned tucans, parrots and howler monkeys. Never saw any of those. We asked the river guide and he said they are very rarely seen and couldn't understand why they were specifically mentioned in the tour guide. This is basically a slow boat ride through the flats passing many sandbars where crocs come out of the water to sun themselves.

In Aruba we loved renting a jeep and taking our own self guided tour of the island. Very easy to do.

In Acapulco, everyone wants to see the cliff divers. Most of them end up standing out in the sun watching from viewing platforms in a standing room only mass of people. It really looked hot and uncomfortable from our viewpoint inside the La Perla restaurant where we were in AC with a ringside seat, drinking ice cold beers. We had access to a balcony if we wanted to step outside to take photos or we could just watch from our picture window. We just took a cab to La Perla and asked for a table to watch the show. $12.50 pp, drinks included. We got to meet the divers after the show too. No tour necessary.

The shotover jet boat (which is fun) in Acapulco will get you wet, and the water smells nasty. Everyone that did that rushed back to the ship to take a shower after. Just be aware.

Definately move about the ship as you trasit the canal. You won't regret it.

You never know what you might see! After all it is a tight fit. In transit aboard Ocean Princess in May '01 the ship was carrying a bit too much fuel. At one point, an over hanging bridge observers station took out a set of tall lockside light polls then peeled off a good chunk of the roof of an adjacent canal administration building. You wouldn't have known unless you saw it happen (barely scratched the ship) or noted the damaged building in passing as we did. How'd that happen? OOPS!!

Late in the day, we made an unscheduled stop for a few hours in Balboa adjacent the Bridge of the Americas. Local indians had been given ealier notice of the stop and were on hand to peddle stuff.

The ship's officers mumbled about a stop being needed "due to fuel" - too much rather than too little wasn't mentioned... In retrospect, the stop was almost certainly required because we were briefly under arrest while the canal authorities calculated the fine (for topping off their building) and awaited wire transfer of the fine to the authority. The authority is used to wire transfer, it receives the ship's toll by wire as the ship approaches the first locks; the typical cruise ship toll is on the mid to upper side of $100,000 - $200,000 (ours in '01 was $146,000 and change). The first M-class ship to pass set the record (at least at the time) with a single toll topping $200,000.

The canal is fascinating!

I agree with the others to run around the ship when you go through the locks to see them from every angle. To be part of the convoy as the canal narrows is something you'll never forget.

We were on the HAL Oosterdam and arranged all of our own shore tours with the exception of Cartegena, where after my ship tour we hired the same gentleman to take us into the old city--this was a wonderful experience but I don't know how you would find a safe guide on your own, we were just lucky.

From the port boards I hired Mo in Puntaranus and saw incredable animals in the rainforest. For Alcapolco we interviewed several of the taxi tour people on the dock and had another fabulous time, seeing parts of the city we were interested in and had the best view of the cliff divers (ya gotta do it once!!). The trick there is that you don't have to go with the first person who pounces on you, you can pick who you like.

We were in Cabo for whale time and again picked a whale watch in a little boat at the dock. We had a choice of big boat, little boat or Zodiac. The little boat was incredable and we saw tons and tons of whales.

On a partial transit we toured with Oscar Brown on the other side of Costa Rica, but I don't think full transits stop there.

This was the cruise of a lifetime--well so far, we're going to the Med in October.

Oh I almost forgot--read David McCullough"s The Path Between the Seas before you go. Yes I know that I'm assigning a history book, but as you approach the canal and then see the remains of the old French canal you will understand what people did to make this possible. If you have a canal expert on board he/she will probably be reffering to the book. Yes its long, but try to read it!!!

This is why I love these boards - great suggestions! Would never have thought of moving around the ship to get different aspects of the canal cruising...thanks for the info on the river cruising - we want to see more than crocs (get to see them in FL when I visit my brother). It sounds like we might need to do a rainforest tour - to see the monkeys & the colorful birds?...And watching the cliff divers in a/c instead of the hot sun is much more appealing to me! Thanks...other ideas are still welcome!:p

There was also a PBS NOVA episode on the building of the canal. You can rent it through Netflix and some larger video stores, or order the DVD online (search on "NOVA Canal")

You'll pass the French Cut going in from the east and might miss it if you didn't have in mind the huge significance of having locks instead of a straight cut like Suez.

Also, if you are in an inside or ocean view (e.g. no balcony), the outside deck near the lifeboats offers shelter from the sun and great viewing. Plus, this area may have little/no background music -- you'll be able to hear the birds chirping.

In Costa Rica, we took the Poas Volcano tour, and it was fine, except we didn't get to see the volcano because of clouds/fog. A similar problem happened on another cruise. So be reasonable in your viewing expectations.

When we did the canal transit on the Veendam last year, the PBS Nova documentary was on sale in the gift shop. This may also be true on X ships. We bought it and it's a wonderful souvenir as well as providing incredible archival footage of the building of the canal. And they even sold it at the list price!

Ok, we haven't done this yet, we are booked on the Coral Princess for next February, but I saw this on the Costa Rica board. If you are doing the rain forest canopy, bring insect repellent as it is very buggy. I'm glad I saw this as I usually have severe reactions to weird bug bites.

We did a Florida to LA cruise on Oceania a year and a half ago. Wonderful. I'm not sure what ports Celebrity goes to, but my favorite destination on O. itinerary was Guatemala - Antigua. You can still see fairly authentic looking costumes, women carrying wash on their heads, and things like that. The port that was a bit disappointing was Costa Rica (Puntarenas, I think). I think it's just too far to the "real rain forrests" from where you dock to see what I think of when I think of Costa Rica -rain forrest, birds, flowers. I have to admit that the Panama Canal was more interesting than I thought it would be - and the scenery going through was very pretty.

We were on the Century in Jan.2006 although we did not transit the canal, we did do many of the excursions. We did take an excursion on a smaller ship 1/2 thru the canal it was WONDERFUL, but bring your own lunch; the box that they gave you left much to be desired. We also took a canal/river tour in Costa Rica on a smaller boat. Saw Monkeys,many birds,turtles,sloths and beautiful flowers.The guide was very informative and the photo ops were great!

We have gone through the canal two times on two different cruise lines. All of the replys above are very good. Read the book mentioned above or you can listen to it on audio book from Audible.com. Take a look at the live cams of the canal at:

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

Do you take pictures? TAKE A RAIN COAT for yourself.

It will rain, take something to protect your camera.

Have fun.

Everyone has given you some great recommendations. Make sure and read the book. I got a copy and took it on the trip. I finished it on the day we went through the canal.

We went east to west so we may have seen a few things that you won't. And since you are sailing X you should have the same stops we did.

I can tell you we did the following:

Aruba: We rented a jeep. You can find hundreds of them within about 25 feet of the pier. We drove the entire island including the stretch between the Natural Bridge and the California Lighthouse on the beach. It was outstanding.

Panama City: Infinity was only there in the evening for about 5 hours and so we stayed aboard. Friends who went ashore said it wasn't worth it.

Costa Rica: We did the Rain Forest Canopy gondola. What a waste. X's shore excursion said "flora and fauna." We saw lots of flora but the only fauna we saw was one little grasshopper. Friends of ours did the river tour and saw a ton of monkeys, gators, crocs, etc.

Hualtuco, Mexico: We went horseback riding. The worst shore excursion ever. I won't explain why but if you want to read the entire story, you can read it here (along with my entire Panama Canal review) at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=142757

Acapulco: OK, how adventurous are you? When we did this cruise we were in our early 50s. Kind of still are (53). So, if you are adventurous, try the best shore excursion we have ever been on. Shotover Jet Boats is like a 30 minute long Disney ride. We loved it and are now trying to visit the 3 other Shotover Jet Boats around the world. In 2007 we will get to try the one in New Zealand. If you have never done, do it! And we went and had lunch and watched the cliff divers. Kind of cool.

Cabo: We did the snorkel and sail fiesta. You sail, you snorkel, you sail, you fiesta. On a really smooth catamaran. I can recommend the sailing but not the snorkeling unless you are an experienced snorkeler. I am not and neither is my bride. Snorkeling off a boat in deep water is not the way to start. But the sailing was really nice.

And I don't know if it works when you go west to east but we got up at 5:30 am to see us start the journey through the canal. Was really worth it.

Archived