Attn Walmart Shoppers - Phony Fendi

Jane110

If you haven't read about it yet.........

On Friday, Fendi took Walmart to court for selling illegal counterfeit goods in many of their Sam's clubs stores.

The stores had a variety of the fraudulent items like handbags, wallets and key chains. Customers were told that the items were the real thing and selling a copy of a $930. handbag for over $500.

As of today, Walmat's lawyers said "No comment".

Walmart has been trying to attract a higher end consumer for awhile now and has been going more upscale in their merchandise selection to include department store level fragrances as well as diamonds.

After this fiasco, would *you* buy a diamond from them? Wouldn't you fear that the designer perfume you buy from them is really "grey market" goods?

Just one more reason for me to avoid that store! We have one nearby and I REFUSE to shop there. When one store got brave enough to vote the union in, Walmart shut that store down rather than pay their employees a decent wage with benefits. They have a horrible reputation in our town for the way employees are treated.

Have you ever ask yourself why would a person work for a company that treats them so bad? Does it make sense? Before you make such a broad statement do a little research. Last time I checked McDonalds didn't start thier employees at a high rate of pay it's like any where else, you get payed more for longevity and loyalty. You have to put in your time. And also last time I looked it is free country. Have you ever worked for Wal-Mart in order to be such an expert on the subject.:)

Just one more reason for me to avoid that store! We have one nearby and I REFUSE to shop there. When one store got brave enough to vote the union in, Walmart shut that store down rather than pay their employees a decent wage with benefits. They have a horrible reputation in our town for the way employees are treated.

Don't get me started on Walmart. I'm absolutely with you. I will go without or drive 50 miles to an independent business or Target before I set foot in WM or Sam's Club. Thank goodness we have a Costco within 50 miles! Regardless of their pay scale, their dealings with those on their supply chain is changing the face of American manufacturing - and not in a good way.

OH I for got toask WHAT HAS THIS GOTTO DO WITH CRUISING?????????????:rolleyes:

I understood that Jane110 was warning all of us that Walmart is selling fraudulent items, in which case we should spend some time scouring the stores in Port to find authentic Fendi bags, and diamonds.

You may notice that there are many "Off Topic" posts on this board. The common thread is that they relate to fashion. Unlike several of the other boards, no one bashes other posters here and we tend to have a civilized exchange of information about fashion and shopping. This clearly falls into those categories.

we do get some off topic stuff sometimes but most will pertain to fashions.. if everything is in good nature and no bashing we won't pull it unless it really belongs on another board .. Jane's heads up is fine . hey I might have bought one of those

fendi's for my next cruise :)

After this fiasco, would *you* buy a diamond from them? Wouldn't you fear that the designer perfume you buy from them is really "grey market" goods?

Just to clarify, grey market goods are not knockoffs or fraudulent copies, both of which are outright illegal. Grey market goods are authentic goods that are legally manufactured abroad with the intention of being sold abroad. They are then imported into this country through unauthorized (but legal) distributors.

Have you ever ask yourself why would a person work for a company that treats them so bad? Does it make sense? Before you make such a broad statement do a little research. Last time I checked McDonalds didn't start thier employees at a high rate of pay it's like any where else, you get payed more for longevity and loyalty. You have to put in your time. And also last time I looked it is free country. Have you ever worked for Wal-Mart in order to be such an expert on the subject.:)

All you have to do is watch the news and see how many times they are being sued (and how many of those lawsuits they lose) for their unlawful employee practices.

After this fiasco, would *you* buy a diamond from them?

Well, I have to admit that I did buy a beautiful ring a few years ago, tanzanite, boulder opal and diamonds. And a terrific gold necklace, and beautiful gold earrings. The ring has been appraised and insured - no problems. And I have no concerns about the other. But - I probably would NOT buy a major diamond item there.

I just wanted to voice to other side of the coin, alot of people rely on Wal-Mart and Sam's Club for there day to day needs ie..lower prices in most cases, It is a shame that such practices happen in retail but Wal-mart is by no means is the only offender maybe just because they are a huge corporation they get more attention. Do you remember when all K-mart execs sold all of their stock an left their longtime workers with nothing. To group Wal-Mart by themselves as doing illieagal acts is unfair. Like I said before it's a free country and be glad that you have a choice where to shop. :) I am for down south (I am not a redneck woman either:) ) and I have never seen a Fendi purse so I would'nt know a real one from a fake one how do you tell? I shop at the shops when we cruise. :)

Have YOU proof otherwise?? I had a friend whose sister worked for Wal-Mart, as an Asst. Mgr. and chose to take a lower paying job for that exact reason! I thought everyone, at least in this 'FREE COUNTRY' already knew that. Guess not, so consider yourself informed. Please remove your panties from your crack, you will feel better!:eek:

I think the whole thing is a shame,really, too many people are willing to work hard... for a decent wage!

I, too, avoid WalMart at all cost. Just another reason.

This will be my last post about this subject I think you are the one with your panties in a wad. Thank you for informing me of something a friend of you sisters said and did. Now for my qualifications........I have worked for Wal-Mart for 10 years in Management we have several associates that have worked for Wal-mart well over 20 years and some have over a million dollars just in profit sharing that came strictly from the big bad Wal-mart company I have personally seen their profit worksheets. Do you really think all Wal-Marts are run the same way? Every store has a different set of personalities. Would you like it if someone said that everyone from where ever you are from didn't treat people well, would you consider that a fair statement?

I'm really ready to drop this whole conversation. I respect your views why don't you do the same. Not everybody feels the same. :)

With all the stores in my area, I would never think to go to our local WalMart to buy a handbag, diamond or anything expensive. Sometimes I go there to buy TP and lightbulbs, but I honestly don't care for the store, it's way too big and dirty. A shame, since it's only a few years old.

We bought our patio furniture there a few years ago at clearance, $150 for the whole set, including the umbrella. We just replaced the chair cushions and umbrella, they ended up costing more than the original set! The DH takes good care of the stuff, taking it in from the rain and covering the table with plastic.

Some of the people I work with buy knockoffs, I can tell the difference from a distance. I'd much rather buy a cheaper designer bag, like Liz Claiborne, than to try and pretend I have a high end bag. The same thing with shoes.

I think if they can sell the original for a discount, great, but in breaking the law they should be held accountable. No matter how large a retailer they are. I can't imagine how the women who may have purchased these items must feel, spending $500 for an item probably worth a 10th (or less) of that.

Well, I shop at Wal-mart and I wouldn't expect to find a designer anything there. I'm not shopping there for designer goods, but for inexpensive/trendy items that I don't expect to last very long, why not? For groceries, books, paper goods, I shop at Wal-mart. If I want something where quality really matters, it probably won't be my first choice.

Just a note, I do buy my flip-flops there for $3 a pair and I have some that have lasted 4 years! If they break, so be it :)

As far as the Sam's thing goes, I definitely think it's wrong to say something is authentic when it's not. Had to edit to write that because I figured it was a given :)

I recall an article that said that Wal Mart was one of the best places to work as far as pay (according to demographics,) benefits, vacations, hiring of the handicapped etc...

Sam's Club is a subsidiary of Wal Mart. I just can't imagine a chain that large taking a risk and selling knockoffs of anything.

I'll shop at the local WalMart on occasion for non-apparel items. Plants, books, candles, greeting cards etc... but if a Fendi bag was advertised for sale at Wal Mart at any price, I'd be skeptical also.. I got one ( a real one) as a gift one year and know that WalMart does not sell handbags in that price range.

The bag was too small for my taste and I returned it (Nordstoms) $350.00 store credit.

Your'e not going to see that at Wal Mart!!!

Sam's Club is a subsidiary of Wal Mart. I just can't imagine a chain that large taking a risk and selling knockoffs of anything.

Exactly!

I'll shop at the local WalMart on occasion for non-apparel items. Plants, books, candles, greeting cards etc... but if a Fendi bag was advertised for sale at Wal Mart at any price, I'd be skeptical also.. I got one ( a real one) as a gift one year and know that WalMart does not sell handbags in that price range.

Well yes they DO sell handbags in that price range and they are saying that they are authentic.

I'm not a WalMart fan and certainly did not intend for this to get into a discussion - or rant - about their employee practices. This is about fashion and information.

I don't think we have a Walmart here in NYC, but if I was in one of their stores and saw a $900. designer handbag selling for $500. I wouldn't be skeptical....I shouldn't have to be. They are a huge corporation with tremendous buying power and I expect that they would not be selling counterfeit goods and that's not an unrealistic expectation. Sure, I might expect that these are perhaps last season's bags that were unsold and so can't go into a Neiman's type store, but I expect them to be the real deal.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in court.

Well, I shop at Wal-mart and I wouldn't expect to find a designer anything there. I'm not shopping there for designer goods, but for inexpensive/trendy items that I don't expect to last very long, why not? For groceries, books, paper goods, I shop at Wal-mart. If I want something where quality really matters, it probably won't be my first choice.

Just a note, I do buy my flip-flops there for $3 a pair and I have some that have lasted 4 years! If they break, so be it :)

As far as the Sam's thing goes, I definitely think it's wrong to say something is authentic when it's not. Had to edit to write that because I figured it was a given :)

Hi Ehpride, first good luck with your job hunting. You took the words out my mind. I was just thinking what you wrote when I read your post and had to say I agree. I never thought of looking for anything high end in any shop like Wal-mart.

It's a big drive for me to get to a Wal-mart so I don't shop there often. I go to Costco. I don't have a Sam's Club (don't think there are any in Quebec). I did see a Prada bag at Costco a few years ago in their "high end cabinet" at a "discount" and I just knew it was from seasons past.

I also agree with Jane on the comment that it probably was a "leftover" from seasons past and they bought the leftovers at a discount and are selling them at a discount.

Many people don't like stores or manufacturers or whatever for many different reasons, I can think of many people who don't like Microsoft, still Microsoft made many people millionaires with stock options. Just like any job or company not everyone will enjoy working for a certain company.

Let's look at Starbucks, people complain about the price of their cup of coffee (well I've heard that people complain), but he really treats his employees well from the documentary I saw on the owner. So I don't think it's easy to judge a company.

Consumers want low prices and good deals (no criticisim here) and rightly so the employees want good saleries with benefits (again no criticisim) so it's hard to say how a company should be run, financially it's hard to do both. I believe Wal-mart is a public company so that means they have an obligation to their shareholders as well to deliver profits. And who are those shareholders? Everyday people probably are shareholders, your mutual fund (by your I'm not referring to anyone in particular just in the general population) may have shares in Wal-mart. I'm not defending Wal-mart, I'm just trying to point out that any company could probably be faulted for some particular thing.

Jane I appreciate the post as I hadn't a clue, had not heard this and the info is most appreciated.

I have worked for Wal-Mart for 10 years in Management we have several associates that have worked for Wal-mart well over 20 years and some have over a million dollars just in profit sharing that came strictly from the big bad Wal-mart company I have personally seen their profit worksheets. :)

OHHHH... I KNEW that was coming!!!!

Funny, as I was originally posting, 'I thought she probably works there or something..' but laughed it off. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I too shop for incidentals and such there, but do not enjoy the store at all. I feel it is dirty, and poorly set up.However on some things, you can't beat the prices, so I go.

As far as the bag ordeal.... I too would have been skeptical.Still, others rely on the store reputation and trust they are being told the truth.

If you haven't read about it yet.........

On Friday, Fendi took Walmart to court for selling illegal counterfeit goods in many of their Sam's clubs stores.

The stores had a variety of the fraudulent items like handbags, wallets and key chains. Customers were told that the items were the real thing and selling a copy of a $930. handbag for over $500.

As of today, Walmat's lawyers said "No comment".

Walmart has been trying to attract a higher end consumer for awhile now and has been going more upscale in their merchandise selection to include department store level fragrances as well as diamonds.

I took this to mean that the Fake Fendi's were sold at Sam's Club, not Walmart. Having shopped at COSTCO I am familiar with the fact that, as a previous poster I think mentioned, you will see last years designer purses, so I can imagine Sams's Club might be the same. I cant, however, imagine that a Walmart store would carry them. Just a thought, I could be wrong, it has certainly happened before. ;)

I agree as well as other posters mentioned, Walmart is so dirty! We have a Target and a Walmart within a mile of eachother. The Target is clean, well organized and the people that work there are fun and helpful. I went in to the Walmart one time when I was in a hurry and I couldnt get out fast enough. The whole vibe in that store was chaotic, unorganized and, as mentioned, just dirty. I wonder why that is...cant they keep it clean? Really foul was that they have a whole grocery section. I could never purchase edibles in a dirty store.....flip flops, for sure, but food, no way!

:D

Have a great day all!

M.

Archived