Attn Walmart Shoppers - Phony Fendi

Jane110

Have you ever ask yourself why would a person work for a company that treats them so bad? Does it make sense? Before you make such a broad statement do a little research. Last time I checked McDonalds didn't start thier employees at a high rate of pay it's like any where else, you get payed more for longevity and loyalty. You have to put in your time. And also last time I looked it is free country. Have you ever worked for Wal-Mart in order to be such an expert on the subject.:)

Yes I have a good friend that works there and has for about 15 years. She went there when her hjusband who is self employed was diagnoised with diabetes after ending up in the hosp. with a coma and they could no longer get affordable health inusrance ontheir own.

She has a great stock-401K profolio-now she doesn't make much per hour-but her husband's business does well-she only wanted to work for health insurance-but she also has a bunch of stock they have given her-she is in her late fifties so retirement will be coming in less then 10 years. Because of Walmart they have a nice little nest egg as an extra besides her husband's business.

She likes Walmart very will and feel she has been treated very well-plus when whe went to work for them she was in her early 40's and had not worked in 20 years-where other companies felt she was a has been with no "current" skills-Walmart did not feel that way.

Now I do think Walmart is not the greatest place to shop-it is a major PAIN in the butt if you ever return anything-I have no desire to stand in line for 30 minutes plus like I did when my $75 iron died and it wasn't even 3 months old-that is my complaint about them-I do buy a few housewares from them and some groceries, no clothing except for my Hanes Her Way underwear and bras. I love them because they come in cotton which is wonderful for everyday wear.

as far as buying a diamond-I would only spend alot of money there if it has a gemnoligist certificate. I think too I might would have it apraised and if I did not like the apraisal I would return the diamond-but I have no plans to buy one anyway-I am content with what I have.

but you know things like that-there's tha told saying-"you get what you pay for"-so I guess I don't really expect much from them-I certainly would never spend $500 on a bag. I am wondering why anyone who would spend that much would go to Sam's Club or walmarts in the first place.

I happen to love SuperTarget, but there isn't one anywhere close, so Super Wal-Mart - here I come!

As far as employee practices, I have learned that anyone who hasn't learned their rights as an employee or what is proper and professional treatment can be taken advantage of, regardless of the industry or specific companies. I work for a large company (16000+ employees) and know of a director who did not inform one of their employees of their FMLA rights. The employee was clueless. That boss was documenting absences that would have been covered on FMLA had anything been filed. The employee ended up leaving of her own accord but it could have ended up differently. (I didn't know about this until after the person was gone.) This is NOT how our company is run in general, but there are always a few out there in management doing their own thing, and unfortunately will continue until they are caught and held accountable (can you say "lawsuit?"). These things happen everywhere including Wal-Mart.

As far as a living wage goes, IMO, minimum wage was not meant to support a family. It was meant as a starter job, where you gain skills and knowledge and are able to move upward. Getting education and training certainly helps. Does this mean that I think everyone working at Wal-Mart is unskilled and uneducated - NO! Some people choose to work there for the schedule flexibility and benefits, and then there are those who just plain like it. Don't even get me started on how illegal aliens relate to wages.....

And I don't know where most of you live nor the Wal-Marts you've graced, but the ones I see are not dirty - they are constantly being cleaned. Wal-Mart is Wal-Mart, you get Wal-Mart quality and the basic stuff (food, toiletries and such), and you can bet that it will be my very last stop the night before we leave on a vacation for just about anything I've forgotten (clothing aside).

Hi Ehpride, first good luck with your job hunting. You took the words out my mind. I was just thinking what you wrote when I read your post and had to say I agree. I never thought of looking for anything high end in any shop like Wal-mart.

Thank you. I've got an interview after I get back (still need to decide what shirt I'll wear with my suit) from vacation. So if mom and I aren't on much in the next couple of weeks, that's why.

Thank you. I've got an interview after I get back (still need to decide what shirt I'll wear with my suit) from vacation. So if mom and I aren't on much in the next couple of weeks, that's why.

Have a good time- I already told your mom to!

but what you said about Walmart-I totally agree-it is wrong for something to be represented as something it isn't but heck I really can't believe anyone who would spend $500 on a pocket book would be shopping at walmart or Sams anyway.

but what you said about Walmart-I totally agree-it is wrong for something to be represented as something it isn't but heck I really can't believe anyone who would spend $500 on a pocket book would be shopping at walmart or Sams anyway.

We always do :)

I can't imagine that either. If I could afford to buy a $500 dollar purse (which I can't!), I probably wouldn't buy a lot at Wal-mart. But if Wal-mart is your only choice or you're on a limited budget, I don't really see why you shouldn't shop there.

Originally Posted by momofmeg

I can't imagine that either. If I could afford to buy a $500 dollar purse (which I can't!), I probably wouldn't buy a lot at Wal-mart. But if Wal-mart is your only choice or you're on a limited budget, I don't really see why you shouldn't shop there.

An aquaitance of mine is very wealthy and buys her clothes and shoes at consignment shops, high end stores, flea markets, ebay etc. Most fashion junkies shop everywhere.

I bought a broomstick skirt at Walmart I saw in an editorial shoot in US Weekly.

Yep but you are paying $10-25 for a purse there- not $500. I usually buy my pocket books at Marshalls and I spend around $50 for a purse that would retail for $100-150-I have never thought of even wanting one that would cost more.

I like Aigner. An old quality brand-that lasts forever. I have donated many an Aigner to good will just because I was sick of it-but it still looked good!

and I don't buy clothes at Walmart-outside of my cotton Hanes bras.

An aquaitance of mine is very wealthy and buys her clothes and shoes at consignment shops, high end stores, flea markets, ebay etc. Most fashion junkies shop everywhere.

I bought a broomstick skirt at Walmart I saw in an editorial shoot in US Weekly.

But a broomstik skirt is very casual and most are inexpensive. Although I have seen a few like at Parisian I felt were high for what they are, for the most part even at Macys they are only around $25.

Marshalls and Ross are closer to me then Walmarts and I get better quality there then Walmart for no more money.

Walmarts is where I buy my Hanes cotton bras-I used to buy them at Goody's, which is near the Marshalls, but Goody's no longer carries them. I shop Walmart like twice a month for groceries and household items-that is it. to be honest I have not even looked at their clothing in like 5 years. (outside of the underwear department)

I also will buy nicer stuff at consignment shops-it is a good way to get classic stuff that has been gently used-quality made for less.

This one consignment shop knows how small my daughter is and whenever they get in size double zero stuff they call me so we can look at the stuff first.

I don't want to get into the discussion of why or why not shopping at Walmart is a good idea...I'm curious WHY they would do this.

Do they not have a legal department who can say, "Hey guys...this is a really bad idea and may lead to litigation if Fendi finds out." ?!?

I just feel like Walmart...being a corporation with big bucks and has had its share of bad publicity, would try not to put themselves in the position of going head-to-head with the largest luxury goods group.

Did someone at Walmart HQ have a brainfreeze? :confused:

~e

I have found certain Wal-Marts to be "dusty" because "dirty" seems a bit harsh. And yes, Target is usually sparkling. But I believe the difference is that Wal-Mart has many, many more people inside than a Target generally ever has. Either way, I would love to stop by a Target or a Wal-Mart anytime I wanted. Here on my island the only thing available is a horribly overpriced, filthy K-Mart.

But I would have questioned a Fendi bag at Sam's - I find you can generally tell a knockoff so these must have been really good knockoffs or really uninformed shoppers.:rolleyes:

I shop at Wall Mart and the store is very clean. The prices are much lower than the Kroger chain which is the other choice in my area and the selection is better too.

I can't imagine what effect my NOT shopping there is going to have on the employees except maybe put them out of a job if the store goes out of business.

And anyone who would buy a $500 purse from Wall Mart would have to be brain dead.

Hi,

If you are really interested in trying a " Walmart" store, there are 2, within 10 to 15 minutes of Old. Montreal.

One is right off the Champlain bridge & the other near Blue Bonnets.

I agree with the other posters about buying cotton underwear! great prices.

If you haven't read about it yet.........

On Friday, Fendi took Walmart to court for selling illegal counterfeit goods in many of their Sam's clubs stores.

The stores had a variety of the fraudulent items like handbags, wallets and key chains. Customers were told that the items were the real thing and selling a copy of a $930. handbag for over $500.

Thanks, I haven't read that yet.

Every time I go into Sam's, I look in the locked cases at the Fendi's and Prada purses and such. And all of them were in the $500-600 range. I'll reconsider any large expensive purchase (jewelry, watches, handbags, sunglasses, etc.).

I don't think these items will be in a local Walmart, but at their Sam's Warehouse.

I live in Arkansas - the land of Wal-Mart. Within a mile of me, there is a Sam's, a Wal-Mart, and a Target (all within 2 blocks of each other). I do most of my shopping at Target. I only go to Sam's to buy gas, because it is the least expensive in my area. The Wal-Mart and the Target were built around the same time. The Target still looks brand new. Target's aisles are wider and easier to navigate. The Wal-Mart looked dirty from the beginning and has gotten worse. The Wal-Mart is also hard to get into and out of. There is a brand new Super Wal-Mart that is about 15 minutes away from where I live. The prices are even higher than the Wal-Mart that is closer to me and the Krogers that I have to pass to get there. The aisles are just as closely spaced as the Wal-Mart near me. The funny part to me is they actually have less of a selection than Target or Krogers do.

A few years ago some of my co-workers said they couldn't believe I shopped at Target instead of Wal-Mart because Target was so expensive. I took a list of everything I buy regularly each month and compared prices at both Target and Wal-Mart - Target came out over $20 cheaper.

That being said both Target and Wal-Mart have some decent casual clothes, but their prices have gone up so much. In the last couple of years, I've actually found that is just as inexpensive to shop at Dillard's, JC Penneys, or Kohl's as it is to shop at Target or Wal-Mart.

You know, just because FENDI filed suit against Wal-Mart and alleged that Wal-Mart was selling "illegal counterfeit goods" doesn't mean squat. You can file a lawsuit and pretty much allege anything! I've not read the complaint so I'm not familiar with the allegations except for what I read here and in the newspaper. Wal-Mart has not filed their Answer yet and you an expect it will deny they did anything improper. Did they really puchase thousands of dollars in fakes from China or did they simply buy from an indirect source at cheaper prices so they could sell them at cheaper prices? Let's not pass judgement until the facts have been presented. Of course, this is what Wal-Mart has to contend with....people that will be on a jury that have already made up their mind without knowing anything but the allegations. In the court of public opinion they have already lost this case where if the same allegations had been made against Target or Kohl's, people would want a lot more information before deciding.

BobK/Orlando

And anyone who would buy a $500 purse from Wall Mart would have to be brain dead.

The post indicated that the purse was being sold at Sam's - NOT Walmart. They are very different stores. But I have a hard time believing that the company would be that foolish. We'll see how it turns out.

As far as the "dirtiness" of Walmart stores, yes I agree they tend to be messier and dirtier than Target. But, you won't find better prices than in Walmart, and that is why they have much heavier traffic, ergo more dirt.

That said, the newest one around here, about 2 years old, is always clean - in fact it rivals Target in how it kept up. It is in a very nice rural area - very VERY high income neighborhoods, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I would never wait in line at a line at Walmart - I only shop there very late at night, or at "off" times. I can't stand waiting in line to shop anywhere - it's just "one of those things I try to never do. CHristmas might be the only time I have to grin and bear it.

And as far as the "too many people are willing to work hard... for a decent wage!", what is a "decent wage"?? Do you mean a "living wage"? If so, I would never ever expect to find that in a position at WalMart. Or a gas station. Or McDonalds for that matter. Certain jobs are really better suited for students, retirees, part-timers, etc., simply because they ARE low-paying unskilled jobs. I don't see the problem there.

There are many people that would RUN to a store that was selling a $900. handbag for $500. Fendi's are classic and their styles don't change much from year to year, so I can easily understand why people would go there to buy one.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Fendi bags, but if I were, I'd be going there if they had a store near me. I'd expect that something that was bought by the Walmart Corporation would not be a counterfeit.

"Limited Budget" is a relative term. If your budget is $500. for a handbag, then getting a $900. one for that price would be quite a score!

I don't want to get into the discussion of why or why not shopping at Walmart is a good idea...I'm curious WHY they would do this.

Do they not have a legal department who can say, "Hey guys...this is a really bad idea and may lead to litigation if Fendi finds out." ?!?

I just feel like Walmart...being a corporation with big bucks and has had its share of bad publicity, would try not to put themselves in the position of going head-to-head with the largest luxury goods group.

Did someone at Walmart HQ have a brainfreeze? :confused:

~e

Yes, these are my thoughts too.....not about how much they pay employee's or what their benefits are.

I almost forgot that I started a topic about a huge corporation that's buying and selling counterfeit luxury goods. Thanks for reminding me! :D

As I read more about it in the trades, I'll post for those that are interested.

I find it incredible that someone in the corporate HQ had....as you say....a brainfreeze! This is going to cost them tons in penalty's and legal fee's I'm sure.

But I would have questioned a Fendi bag at Sam's - I find you can generally tell a knockoff so these must have been really good knockoffs or really uninformed shoppers.:rolleyes:

I don't understand why you'd question the authenticity of a designer handbag at Sam's/Walmart? They're not a little "fly by night" corner store. They've got a board of directors, key executives and millions of stockholders to think of.

Sure, I'd assume that the style was out of date by a couple of seasons, but still authentic.

Buying and selling counterfeit goods is illegal and can cost them millions of dollars. Why you think they would risk that to make a little profit?

Thanks, I haven't read that yet.

Every time I go into Sam's, I look in the locked cases at the Fendi's and Prada purses and such. And all of them were in the $500-600 range. I'll reconsider any large expensive purchase (jewelry, watches, handbags, sunglasses, etc.).

I don't think these items will be in a local Walmart, but at their Sam's Warehouse.

Yes, the items are at Sam's, but it's the Walmart Corp - the parent corp - that will be in the lawsuit.

As you say, when you see these items in the locked case and told they are authentic Fendi handbags, how will they retain any credibility now? In my opinion, they blew it. Who's going to trust that the luxury items are real.

Aside from the zillions in legal fee's, how much will they lose in revenue from the consumers who will no longer buy jewelry, sunglasses, etc from them. This is going to be huge and has nothing to do with dusty shelves.

You know, just because FENDI filed suit against Wal-Mart and alleged that Wal-Mart was selling "illegal counterfeit goods" doesn't mean squat. You can file a lawsuit and pretty much allege anything! I've not read the complaint so I'm not familiar with the allegations except for what I read here and in the newspaper. Wal-Mart has not filed their Answer yet and you an expect it will deny they did anything improper. Did they really puchase thousands of dollars in fakes from China or did they simply buy from an indirect source at cheaper prices so they could sell them at cheaper prices? Let's not pass judgement until the facts have been presented. Of course, this is what Wal-Mart has to contend with....people that will be on a jury that have already made up their mind without knowing anything but the allegations. In the court of public opinion they have already lost this case where if the same allegations had been made against Target or Kohl's, people would want a lot more information before deciding.

BobK/Orlando

Bob,

You're 100% right and I posted it because I felt it was an extremely interesting topic for a fashion board. Instead, it went onto a discussion about employee benefits, dirty stores and what kind of underwear people wear. :D :D

As a person in the fashion business, who also has been in fashion licensing, I find this to be a very interesting case that I'll be following.

Of course I think that Walmart initially will say they did nothing improper. But once the goods are examined and if it is determined that they are counterfeit, it will be interesting to hear their comments. If the goods are authentic, it'll be interesting to see what Fendi has to say.:)

Thanks for your interesting comments.

The purses are being sold at Sam's not Walmart, which is the parent company of Sam's. I read this article last week and was shocked at the allegation as they have been selling them for years.

Like Costco, Sam's Warehouse sells a variety of merchandise. They sell everyting from food, small household items to high end goods such as Lalique crystal, Plasma tv's, Royal Doultan, Concord, Rolex watches, ect. If you go to Sam's website, they have some jewlery that sell in excess of $250,000. I personally have purchased 7 high end handbags over the past three years including Fendi, Prada and Ferragamo. I also saved a bundle on a Dunhill wallet and briefcase for my husband. We have even booked two cruises with them, on Crystal and Holland America.

I have been a member for 17 years, and have purchased everything from food items to a Cartier Tank Watch. When I purchased the handbags, 4 of which are Fendi's, all came with the authorization card and number. Yesterday I called my local Sams and than the main office in Ark. I was told, they are authentic Fendi handbags and stand behind that, but if I was not happy, I could return the handbags, and they would refund my money.

Today I took two of the handbags to the Fendi store in the Galleria for verification. I was told as they are under a lawsuit, they were limited in what they could tell me. They would not confirm or deny there authenticity. They told me, they would only confirm the bag was authentic if it was purchased at a Fendi store, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales or an Authorized Fendi Dealer. I asked them about Costco and was told they are not authorized to sell them either. When I asked why they waited so long to bring the lawsuit, He stated they just found out they were selling them. He also made a comment I thought was quite interesting, that sam's was selling them well below there retail value. For now I will keep the bags and wait to see how this pans out.

I must say I am really surprised that so many of you think because one may be somewhat affluent, they would not stoop to shop at Sam's or Walmart. The reason they typically have money, is they spend it wisely and like to get a good deal.

The purses are being sold at Sam's not Walmart, which is the parent company of Sam's. I read this article last week and was shocked at the allegation as they have been selling them for years.

Like Costco, Sam's Warehouse sells a variety of merchandise. They sell everyting from food, small household items to high end goods such as Lalique crystal, Plasma tv's, Royal Doultan, Concord, Rolex watches, ect. If you go to Sam's website, they have some jewlery that sell in excess of $250,000. I personally have purchased 7 high end handbags over the past three years including Fendi, Prada and Ferragamo. I also saved a bundle on a Dunhill wallet and briefcase for my husband. We have even booked two cruises with them, on Crystal and Holland America.

I have been a member for 17 years, and have purchased everything from food items to a Cartier Tank Watch. When I purchased the handbags, 4 of which are Fendi's, all came with the authorization card and number. Yesterday I called my local Sams and than the main office in Ark. I was told, they are authentic Fendi handbags and stand behind that, but if I was not happy, I could return the handbags, and they would refund my money.

Today I took two of the handbags to the Fendi store in the Galleria for verification. I was told as they are under a lawsuit, they were limited in what they could tell me. They would not confirm or deny there authenticity. They told me, they would only confirm the bag was authentic if it was purchased at a Fendi store, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales or an Authorized Fendi Dealer. I asked them about Costco and was told they are not authorized to sell them either. When I asked why they waited so long to bring the lawsuit, He stated they just found out they were selling them. He also made a comment I thought was quite interesting, that sam's was selling them well below there retail value. For now I will keep the bags and wait to see how this pans out.

I must say I am really surprised that so many of you think because one may be somewhat affluent, they would not stoop to shop at Sam's or Walmart. The reason they typically have money, is they spend it wisely and like to get a good deal.

Thanks so much for your input. Really interesting! I've never been in a Sam's Club and had no idea they sold such luxury goods. Even more reason for a customer to believe that the handbags are authentic.

I agree and as I said in an earlier post, if I were a Fendi fan and had a Sam's near me, I'd run to buy one at a 40% discount and assume that it was authentic.

The discounter Loehmann's sells the Fendi bags for a big disount too and they are out of season models. But with such classic styles, a Fendi fan wouldn't care.

Archived