Cape Liberty - Driving vs. Being Dropped Off?

For those of you who have sailed out of Bayonne (Cape Liberty), would you recommend driving or being dropped off? We're within easy driving distance so it's just a matter do we hire a car or do we drive ourselves? What are your experiences and thoughts?

Thanks!

For those of you who have sailed out of Bayonne (Cape Liberty), would you recommend driving or being dropped off? We're within easy driving distance so it's just a matter do we hire a car or do we drive ourselves? What are your experiences and thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm just back from the Explorer out of Bayonne. I have to say embarkation at the port was seamless and driving I thought was a great idea. 10 days later I changed my mind. Leaving took longer than getting there, on the ship, and lunch combined. Mass Chaos is all I can say. I'm certain having someone drive you (hired or not) and getting there earlier to pick you up would make the process I lot less painful. Luckily I was still in vacation (nothing's gonna get to me) mode but there were a lot of people not sharing the same notion.

Hope that helps!

Hi bride and groom...

We have done Bayonne and NY and always have a driver....limo service.

For us the service is a bit more $$ than parking but we've had a cruise that was delayed in coming back. *We got in at 4PM vs.7AM... Therefore, spent WAY too much time at the pool bar and would not have wanted to be driving anywhere when we docked!!!

We're going on Explorer in Oct (Bayonne) w/5 people. We would need 2 vehicles w/luggage so the cost of the limo is about the same vs' parking two cars...

Guess it all depends on your situation..if your ship was really late coming home, would someone be willing to pick you up? (not talking limo, but family/friends).

My son was on his honeymoon cruise on 5/28 and they had lots of problems leaving and coming back...I'm glad we paid for the limo for them...(along with the cruise!!) Saved us aggravation, not to mention Jersey Shore traffic to get them to the ship and back...let the limo driver deal with it...

Pam

hey sgttami, i was on that 5/28 EOS too...i think you were on our roll call at one point..

anyway...traffic is a bit wacky there...we stayed at a hotel nearby and cabbed it. left the car at the hotel. getting dropped off ws a breeze.....plus a cabbie or limo guy will help lift your bags.....

i would get a car service, taxi or bribe a friend.

We parked our car at the port in April for our Constellation cruise and had no trouble getting on the ship or off. We were home in half an hour after getting off the ship. It is your decision, just enjoy your cruise. Pat

Get dropped off if you can and save the parking fees!

But then you have to factor in the cab costs to get there and back, and if it takes 2 hours to get off the ship and the cab is waiting for you, it could be pretty expensive.

But then you have to factor in the cab costs to get there and back, and if it takes 2 hours to get off the ship and the cab is waiting for you, it could be pretty expensive.

Parking in Bayonne is $12 per night. It costs a fortunate to hire a car around here. Too much hassle. Drive yourself.

Parking in Bayonne is $12 per night. It costs a fortunate to hire a car around here. Too much hassle. Drive yourself.

Its up to $15.00 I believe...used to be $12.00 but for this area its still a bargain $18.00 in Brooklyn $22.00 for Manhattan.

Its up to $15.00 I believe...used to be $12.00 but for this area its still a bargain $18.00 in Brooklyn $22.00 for Manhattan.

Hi Sid. Long time no see. Would love to visit Bermuda again. I didn't know they raised parking fees at Bayonne. Last year it was still $12.00.

When we first sailed out of Cape Liberty in 2004 parking was $8.00 per day if I'm not mistaken. Then it went up to $12.00 and now $15.00 according to Smeyer. If this keeps up I may eventually get dropped off and picked up also. At this rate they'll be as expensive as Manhatten in a couple of years.

Archived