Photographers

picklebongo

I'm sorry for bringing this up if it has been discussed before, but what hasn't after this board has been around for years. I don't like having my photo taken, even after losing 160 pounds. I have tried politely to avoid the photographers when they take pictures upon initial boarding, dining, etc., but I find on Carnival they tend to be rather pushy. Has anyone found a polite, diplomatic way to avoid all the photos? I particularly dislike being cornered when attempting to disembark at ports.

I'm sorry for bringing this up if it has been discussed before, but what hasn't after this board has been around for years. I don't like having my photo taken, even after losing 160 pounds. I have tried politely to avoid the photographers when they take pictures upon initial boarding, dining, etc., but I find on Carnival they tend to be rather pushy. Has anyone found a polite, diplomatic way to avoid all the photos? I particularly dislike being cornered when attempting to disembark at ports.

They are sort of like the street vendors in Jamaica - persistent. Just smile, say no thank you and keep on walking.

I'm just kidding, but not...

Here are ways:

#1 Really and truly, just keep walking and ignore them. Pretend you are deaf if you need to, but just ignore and keep moving.

#2 Say "no thank you", and if they keep snapping, use the old Hollywood deterrent - put your hand up in front of your face, a bag, pull your hat down, etc. It's a wasted picture, and either they won't print it, or they'll soon learn not to bother you.

#3 For somebody else (maybe not you), make a sign that's small enough to carry folded up in a pocket or something, but big enough to read in a picture:

"I asked this jerk photographer not to take my picture, but they did anyway".

Hold it in front of your face at any embarking, disembarking.

CJW

:D

I understand you not wanting your picture taken I am that way myself. However, I think about other family members, especially my children, that would want a picture of me later in life.

If you don't have a picture taken by the photogragher on the cruise make sure that someone with you takes a couple of snap shots. Later, when your daughter gets older she will want these pictures. Plus it will bring back great memories of the cruise experience.

To avoid the photographers, be firm with a stern "NO THANK YOU" and keep walking. Its hard to get a good shot of someone that is moving when they have the camera set to take still shots.

I'm just kidding, but not...

Here are ways:

#1 Really and truly, just keep walking and ignore them. Pretend you are deaf if you need to, but just ignore and keep moving.

#2 Say "no thank you", and if they keep snapping, use the old Hollywood deterrent - put your hand up in front of your face, a bag, pull your hat down, etc. It's a wasted picture, and either they won't print it, or they'll soon learn not to bother you.

#3 For somebody else (maybe not you), make a sign that's small enough to carry folded up in a pocket or something, but big enough to read in a picture:

"I asked this jerk photographer not to take my picture, but they did anyway".

Hold it in front of your face at any embarking, disembarking.

CJW

:D

LOVE the idea of the sign. Let's start a movement------HA! LMAO!:D

Just a hint.

The continuous ovoidence of having your picture taken can be a "red flag" to security personnel Yes, it's profiling, but hey, it's reality. The normal vacationer is laughing, having a great time, and getting their picture anywhere and everywhere, especially at ports of call. The person avoiding any and all pictures is acting out of the "Norm" and is therfore suspicious (a mule smuggeling drugs, etc,etc).

Having said that, I don't like having my picture taken all the time either. Usually when I do get a picture, it's because my wife told me to. (If mamas happy, everyone's happy:rolleyes: ) If I can get away with it, I just say "No Thanks" and move on.

I particularly dislike being cornered when attempting to disembark at ports.

In Grand Cayman on our last cruise, we were late for an excursion. I simply walked around the photo people. They tried to corral me back in for the photo, but I just kept walking and said "sorry, I'm late for an excursion!".

Sometimes on the ship, I enjoy having our photos taken, but other times I don't want to be bothered. A polite but firm "no thank you" seems to do the trick.

I will also smile & say no thank you if we don't feel like it. Sometimes though it's fun to make really funny faces...the photographer laughs, the crew member in costume laughs, you laugh (especially when looking for your photos in the photo gallery!).:p

Just a hint.

The continuous ovoidence of having your picture taken can be a "red flag" to security personnel Yes, it's profiling, but hey, it's reality. The normal vacationer is laughing, having a great time, and getting their picture anywhere and everywhere, especially at ports of call. The person avoiding any and all pictures is acting out of the "Norm" and is therfore suspicious (a mule smuggeling drugs, etc,etc).

Having said that, I don't like having my picture taken all the time either. Usually when I do get a picture, it's because my wife told me to. (If mamas happy, everyone's happy:rolleyes: ) If I can get away with it, I just say "No Thanks" and move on.

That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. I don't want my picture taken, therefore I may be taken for a drug smuggler?

On our cruise last year, we were docked in Costa Maya as one of the ports of call. There was a Royal Caribbean ship next to us and I remember their photographers actually running up in front of the passengers, jumping in their path yelling "Let's have some fun". One woman who was emphatic about not having her picture taken started walking in a zig zag pattern. Everytime the photog tried to take her picture she just kept changing directions. The photog did his "run & jump" routine once more and the woman started screaming "No, leave me alone" and ran off. :D

I looked around and our ship was the only one who had the photog's dressed up in costume (Aztec warrior) and they weren't running after people. After that I actually thought that Carnival's photog's were more professional than some of the others I saw.

All in all, I say it's a necessary inconvience. Not only to try and sell you a photo later on, but also if something happens to you while you are in port a current photo would be invaluable for identification. It only takes a few seconds and you're never obligated to purchase any of these photos.

The only time that I didn't enjoy the photo op is when they sent the pirate around to each person in the dining room holding his plastic swashbuckling sword up to everyone's throat. I thought that was a little tacky. For kids....maybe, but not for the adults.

Oh, just thought of a funny photo. We were perusing the photos before dinner one night and we saw this photo of a guy who had his photo taken at one of the ports. I don't know the scenario but either something just scared the crap out of him or he was in the middle of a sneeze because he had this facial expresion that was to die for. I so wanted to buy that picture because it was the funniest one I saw all cruise. :p

The first cruise I didn't get any pics taken except beofre dinner. I mean I was on a drug mule mission so it was a good thing I didn't. (end sarcasm)

If you must get your pic taken, act like an idiot. I flexed my "muscles", I made it look like the photog caught me and the Vegas showgirl making out.

My friend got his pic taken with the Aztec Warrior on the Conquest and we were on the Elation.

But to avoid them just no thanks and if they are persistent make a face.

What's really annoying is when the line gets backed up trying to get off the ship for people taking photos. Knowing I don't want mine taken, I can't really get around the line without being rude. It would be nice if they had two separate lines. Maybe I have just gotten some overzealous photographers, but they have not wanted to take no for an answer.

I will never forget the second cruise I went on with my husband. I can't recall what port we were in, but this woman approached my husband, dressed creatively with a basket of fruit on her head. She asked my husband if he wanted to take a photo with her. My husband stood next to her and I took the picture. We thanked her and proceeded to walk off. That woman screamed bloody murder. We had no clue what was expected of us or what we had done wrong. Finally somebody else, another cruiser, laughingly told us what was expected, a tip! We tipped her and had no more problems. We laugh everytime we see that picture.

When we were on the Victory, we just walked past them. We had decided to get the one formal pic taken and that was it. I never had any problems, even in the ports. There are plenty of people wanting to stand in line (we didn't even get the first getting on board pic taken). Not my thing......

What is crazier is in Hawaii this guy came up with parrots and left my daughter and son look at them. Next thing we know the parrots are on m kids and he is suggesting we take pictures..........yes he wanted money (after the fact). Although this was an awkward situation, it is one of our most fun pics (BTW the birds were just like babies).

That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. I don't want my picture taken, therefore I may be taken for a drug smuggler?

I'm sorry, did I say YOU would be? All I said is it raises a red flag. They'll take other considerations into affect before apprehending you.

Personally I don't like to send up red flags if I can stay away from it. I try not to say "Bomb" or "explosives" when I'm in the airport or when I'm talking on my cellphone. I never buy a one way ticket anymore. I always take luggage with me when flying, even if I KNOW I'll be flying back home that night. If somebody wants to take my picture while I'm getting off the ship, so be it. Or, occasionally, No thanks and move on.

All I was trying to do was share information.

Thank you for your time and consideration. It make people feel good when you invalidate someone elses thoughts, ideas and/or suggestions. Oh, to be so powerful and mighty.

I'm sorry, did I say YOU would be? All I said is it raises a red flag. They'll take other considerations into affect before apprehending you.

Personally I don't like to send up red flags if I can stay away from it. I try not to say "Bomb" or "explosives" when I'm in the airport or when I'm talking on my cellphone. I never buy a one way ticket anymore. I always take luggage with me when flying, even if I KNOW I'll be flying back home that night. If somebody wants to take my picture while I'm getting off the ship, so be it. Or, occasionally, No thanks and move on.

All I was trying to do was share information.

Thank you for your time and consideration. It make people feel good when you invalidate someone elses thoughts, ideas and/or suggestions. Oh, to be so powerful and mighty.

I didn't find your information ridiculous. I think that not wanting your picture taken would be a piece of information in profiling someone though. If I were suspicious because of this, I would definitely be looking for other observable behaviors to draw a solid conclusion.

So while standing in line at embarkation I shouldn't be talking on my cell phone saying that the cruise is "going to be the bomb"?

I rarely had the deck photographers take any pics of me the first cruise. I guess I didn't look like I was having much fun. :confused:

What's really annoying is when the line gets backed up trying to get off the ship for people taking photos. Knowing I don't want mine taken, I can't really get around the line without being rude. It would be nice if they had two separate lines. Maybe I have just gotten some overzealous photographers, but they have not wanted to take no for an answer.

Luckily this usually only happens during the first hour or so. I have noticed that Princess uses 2 lines, one is normally for getting back on, but if I want to avoid the photo line-up, I'll use the inbound line, as there is usually no one coming back on.

Cheers,

Peter

Just a hint.

As long as the cruiseline has the official photo of me on the Sign and Sail card, I don't think I need to worry about cheesy photographers from the ship.

What, are they going to count how many times I avoid the pool games, too? And I'm sure not eating lobster is a very suspicious sign! :rolleyes:

If my passport and my S&S card are in order, then I'm sure the security officers are happy.

Lisa

This type of behavior is exactly part of what the terrorists wanted to achieve with 9/11.

If I don't want my picture taken, I say so, if I need a one way ticket, I buy it, if I don't have luggage for a flight, so be it! If I am to be apprehended for that, I will certainly deal with it at that time.

...your thoughts are only invalidated if YOU allow them to be, just because somone has a counter opinion, that opinion is just as important as yours, you don't have to be a jerk about it - be an American, grow a spine, stop changing your behavior because the sky is falling or you are worried red flags are being raised - good grief!!!!

This type of behavior is exactly part of what the terrorists wanted to achieve with 9/11.

If I don't want my picture taken, I say so, if I need a one way ticket, I buy it, if I don't have luggage for a flight, so be it! If I am to be apprehended for that, I will certainly deal with it at that time.

...your thoughts are only invalidated if YOU allow them to be, just because somone has a counter opinion, that opinion is just as important as yours, you don't have to be a jerk about it - be an American, grow a spine, stop changing your behavior because the sky is falling or you are worried red flags are being raised - good grief!!!!

BRAVO!

After our first few cruises, we skip all the pictures. We just tell them we're not going to buy them anyway.

I take hundreds of pictures on cruises so I don't need theirs.

Archived