Best Ship for Mexican Riviera

drush

We are plannng a cruise for early October and since it will still be hurricane season in the Caribbean we are thinking about a cruise to Mexico. We are considering the Princess Diamond, HAL Oosterdam (which we have sailed on before) and the NCL Sun (this ships does a 8 day cruise and goes to Acapulco).

Which ship would you recommend?

Thanks,

drush

Don't know about the others but we did the Oosterdam to Mexico last Oct and had a wonderful time. The art work, fresh flowers, service and food was superior to any other cruise I've taken.:)

You can find my review of it in with the HAL reviews.

Gee...... Can you guess what I recommend:D (look at my cruise history and future cruises)

Since I have only been on the Oosterdam I cannot fairly speak about NCL Sun or Diamond Princess but I know that the Oosterdam and her crew are the BEST in my book for the MexicanRiviera. But then you said you have been on the Oosterdam, you must have liked it to consider returning. My vacations are important to me and since we are not retired our time off is limited so I would hate to be on a different cruise spending the whole week wishing we were on HAL or especially the Oosterdam.

We also looked at all the options for our Mexican Riviera cruise and we ended up choosing Oosterdam for it's great reviews and also for the amount of time the ship spends at each port of call.

We were on the NCL SUN (but the Western Caribbean) last year. Didn't care for the ship/staff/service/food/etc. Don't get me wrong, we had a good time, but don't think I'd sail her again in the future.

We are plannng a cruise for early October and since it will still be hurricane season in the Caribbean we are thinking about a cruise to Mexico. We are considering the Princess Diamond, HAL Oosterdam (which we have sailed on before) and the NCL Sun (this ships does a 8 day cruise and goes to Acapulco).

Which ship would you recommend?

Thanks,

drush

Are you sure it's the Sun, not the Star? I only ask as the Sun? Either way I think, for Mexico you would like NCL. Freestyle alone keeps us coming back to NCL. I know, why am I on this board? Well, cause I love to try new things and we are about to cruise HAL (November) through the canal. Actually I guess it is 1/2 through the canal. For us, the itinerary plays the biggest role in what ship we sail. If I can get 8 days for the price of 7 and be on a nice ship, which the Star and the Sun are why not go for it? Also the age factor (your age that is) may play a role. The night life in HAL will be a little subdued as the passengers are inclined to be a bit more senior. To get a better idea of what CC contributors think why not ask this question on all three boards if you haven't already.NMNita

We've been on several Mexican Riveria cruises on five different ships--both the 7 and 8-day interinaries. I believe the Oosterdam is the best choice. It is an elegant ship with a fantastic crew, superb service, great food, with well-designed cabins that have the best beds ever!

IMHO, sailing from San Diego is superior to LA organizationally, logistically and scenically.

I want to thank everyone for all their input. I sailed on the Oosterdam last year and thought it was one of the best ships I had ever sailed on. I also really enjoyed the Grand Princess when I was on her a couple of years ago.

It has been over 15 years since I sailed on NCL and am really only considering the Star because of the different itinerary.

Decisions, decisions!

Archived