upgrade possibilities??

albertiger

here are the facts...i have deposited for Zuiderdam 11/11/06 cruise for a specific cabin. i have filled out my immigration form and on it is printed my cabin number.

The question is:

Is it now still a possibility that i could be upgraded by HAL at a future date, and would it be reflected on the immigration form if i keep checking?:confused:

The Upgrade Fairy, (or Wizard, or whatever) is like The Shadow....no one knows what lurks in the heart of the Magical Upgrade. Short answer to your questions: Yes. Yes. But it might not occur until shortly before either sailing date, or boarding, whichever comes last!

Have a good time! And we all hope you are visited by the Magic Upgrade Fairy!

pax who book gty cabins seem to be upgraded more then those pax who book a specific cabin ---there have been postings on this board where pax have turned down and "upgrade" becasue they felt the location was not as good as the one originally picked

Besides booking a guarantee cabin rather than a specific cabin I think the relative category has a big impact on upgrades. It's not rocket science to figure that if you're in one of the higher categories there are fewer cabins to be upgraded to, thereby reducing your chances. I actually saw a guarantee for an S category cabin on one of the S class HAL ships. The only cabin left above the S is the one and only penthouse suite (PS)....and it was not available to be booked!

BasenjiMom (Cute pix of your babies, BTW)

I've been giving this some thought, and I remembered that if you are working through a TA, I think there is a space on your reservation form that they submit to HAL where the TA can indicate that the client will or will not accept an upgrade. Just tell your TA that you will not accept one. I think that should take care of it.

As a TA I can varify you have a better chance of getting an upgrade if you are booked in a guarantee cabin and the longer it takes to get a cabin assignment the more likely you are to be upgraded. This doesn't mean you won't get an upgrade a week after you book, nor does it mean, just cause you don't have an assigned cabin 6 weeks out you will get upgraded. I am very much generalizing. BTW, we almost always do the gty thing. I like to gamble and believe of not, I do not travel using TA discounted rates. It isn't worth the hassle most of the time. The only time I would is if I decided to cruise just a few weeks out. NMnita

If you don't want an upgrade, make sure your TA has marked you for no upgrades. I don't know if our TA made an error or not, but that is what we had communicated with her beforehand and still got an upgrade. We had to speak with the people who were assigned the cabin we specifically booked and they did have the option to keep it. Luckily, they wanted the upgrade we got, so it all worked out.

If you are willing to accept an upgrade, make sure that is known, too.

Good luck getting whatever will make you happiest! :)

Archived