6 single guys 40-50 cruising 1/20/07 Mex Riv have question

dancemachine

Hey everyone,

I just talked 5 of my divorced & single buddies into a cruise to celebrate one of their 40th birthdays. We have all cruised before wth wives or girlfriends but this is the first time as singles. (HAL Oosterdam 1/20/07 Mexican Riviera).

As much as we all like each other we don't want to spend 7 days dining as 6 guys. What I am saying is we have a set late dining time right and we want to be able to dine with other women and guys as well so we can be social and have fun. Can we ask to sit with others? Will they seat different people with us. I am having trouble conveying my concern aren't I? If any guys have gone as a group before how do we mix it up for dining arrangements?

Ladies are you joining us? We want to dine, dance, party & relax with fun women. 2 firemen, 1 restauranteur, 2 Medical Consultants,1 computer geek (sorry Joe) and 1 "Kramer" we have no idea where he gets his money but he has a lot. Whose joining us on this cruise?:cool: :) :p :rolleyes:

Howdy dancemachine, and welcome to Cruise Critic! 05.gif

To get some answers to some of your questions, you might want to try the Roll Call for your cruise. It is where you can post with other Cruise Critic members that will be on your cruise, before the cruise. I'm sure they will welcome you & the other guys as well, and be glad to hear from y'all.

It is always fun to have others "in the same boat" so to speak, to help in that looooong countdown time until embarkation day. You can exchange info about the ship, ports and tours. Plus, most of the Roll Calls set up some sort of face to face meeting on the ship too. Most Roll Calls start off slow, but gain momentum with new members joining in as the sail date nears. You and your fellow Roll Call members will need to post often to keep it on the first page so others looking for it will be able to find it easier.

Click here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=278297

Wishing you and all the guys lots of 080402gudl_prv.gif & hope y'all have a wonderful cruise!

042202_1319_92_prv.gif Happy trails to you... 042202_1319_92_prv.gif

Kat 50.gif

Sorry, but you picked the wrong cruise line for playing table hop scotch. Ships are sailing full, which means the dining rooms are fully booked and all tables are taken, so that's why you're assigned to a specific table. There's no way to just join another table whenever you'd like to, so I guess you're stuck with your buddies for dinner each night unless you go to the buffet for dinner. Next time you cruise with the guys, go with a cruise line that has open seating (RSSC, Seabourn, Silversea, Sea Dream) or one that has personal choice (Princess) or Freestyle (NCL) dining where you don't have an assigned table every night and can dine with whomever you like. Also, don't count on a lot of single ladies in your age group on HAL. At that time of year, on that cruise line, the average age tends to be quite high and the single ladies tend towards retirement age. For singles, you need to go on lines like Carnival or RCCI, which have much lower average ages and attract a younger single.

Request a table for 10 that way there will be four other people at your table. As a single lady, just a smidge older then 50, I always request a large table if I want to meet others. I am going on the Freedom of the Seas in Oct 06 and Voyager in Jan 08.

There will be a singles party the first night, usually around 11:45 pm. Go and meet the staff and other singles. before then bar hop a bit, you never know who you will meet at the bar.

As above HAL at that time of year is more for the older crowd. RCCL and Carnival are younger and active. Princess has anytime dining and so does NCL.

Good luck and have fun.

Kitty9

No way would we do Carnival. We don't want the college kids or the beer guzzling 20 somethings that go on Carnival. Royal Carribean is out because 2 of us went on Adventure of the Seas and it was just awful. If older women are on the ship so be it maybe they will like dancing with younger guys?. We are looking to dance and dine and just have a lot fun. Princess was on the radar but the timing for all 6 of us worked best with this cruise. Hey we are a fun group of guys and if their are fun ladies on board thats all that matters. Thank you all for replying.

No worries, there will be plenty of 30-40something women on that ship. I've been discussing this trip with several of my girlfriends and there is a good possibility that we will be joining you gentlemen!

It looks like a good time and it's in our own backyard, which is quite convenient

Couple of things. Sometimes ships put all the singles together at dinner seatings. That's a possibility you could explore, or contact HALs customer service for a request. Also this is a singles cruise by a TA, so there's bound to be many 40+ singles on board. Have fun!

DanceMachine,

Where were you guys earlier this year? Actually, last year a friend (late 50's) & I (late 40's) went on NCL Sun (my first cruise) and I was surprised how few older singles there were. Plenty of 20-30's then the rest couples. This year, we were on Golden Princess - plenty of families & 20-30 somethings, but again, no older singles to dine & dance with. Though we enjoy each other's company, it's still nice to have other people near your own age to socialize with. We tried the martini bars, the pool bars, the "disco" & the sports lounge, but still no single, older, men.

Personal Choice & Freestyle are definitely the way to go for dining, though. That way, you can ask to be seated with other singles. We're also going to the Mex Riv (11/30) but on NCL Star. Keeping my fingers crossed that there might be some men we can dine, dance & laugh with.

Good Luck -

Dancemachine,

Are all your reservations linked together for dinner? :confused: If they are perhaps your TA can have them unlinked if you will and maybe that will increase your chance of being seated at different tables (just a thought).

Good luck and as it has been said, ask for large tables.

• 3 weeks later...

Dancemachine, what ship will you be traveling the Mexican Riviera on? My friend and I have seriously thought about taking a cruise after Christmas. Yall sound like a great bunch of guys and we'd love to meet you if we do decide to take a cruise. Thought I'd check out the availability and perhaps we might wind up on your cruise ship. We are both divorced. I'm 49 and I believe she is 45. Neither too old to have some fun though.

Hi, I believe they are sailing on HAL's Oosterdam...if you check

back in the Original Poster's first paragraph:)

"I just talked 5 of my divorced & single buddies into a cruise to celebrate one of their 40th birthdays. We have all cruised before wth wives or girlfriends but this is the first time as singles. (HAL Oosterdam 1/20/07 Mexican Riviera)".

Hope everyone has a good time!

Sorry to burst your bubble, I was on the Osterdam Halloween Week. Myself and my cousin. Both single 42, and 45. What a mistake. I think we were the two youngest on the cruise. Which I didn't have a problem with but all lights out by 10. There is no one around. The people that were on that ship were either using a walker, wheel chair or oxygen tank. NO JOKE.

I work in the medical field so I am hip with that, except being two party girls--looking for fun forget it there was no one around and no one in the clubs. (When you go there and you specify a specific vodka they just pour you bar vodka. Watch them.)

We also asked to sit with single people. They put us with a married couple that did not speak English. We were hysterical laughing. This so couldn't be happening to us. We had a large suite on the back of the ship so we endend up partying there with some of the crew. We went to the Consierge who told us there weren't many singles on the ship. That would have been fine if there were fun couples on the ship. I always plan my cruises and have always had fun, she planned this one-- was all excited about the suite travel agent told her this was the one for us.

That will never happen again. I would have jumped off my balcony if there wasn't a deck below me. Being serious I am not here to complain but it was the vacation from hell. Also our air conditioner broke and they brought us a dryer that dries the carpet. They would come and check our air everyday and said yes it's broken. That was it. It was funny but not fun. We met up with another ship docked where we were that was a gay and lesbian cruise, the fun we had with them for the day. I would have done anything to get on that ship. Good Luck and bring your own fun. A trip is what you make of it. There will be enough of you to have your own fun.

I didn't think they existed. I've been on Carnival and RCI. I agree, Carnival is very young (in my opinion). I was on Carnival in the late 80's/early 90's. I saw enough things put in bathing suits as "contests". That was enough for me. My friend Barb and I cruise everywhere and the only single men we've met are "coupled" themselves.

In due time I guess. Have a great trip. We are schedule for the Medit. Oct, 2007. Have a great trip. Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

My sister and I (we are single ladies) just returned from a cruise on the Crown Princess July 11, yep the one that listed so badly that 240 people were injured! We wanted to meet single men so the first day I went up to the maitre d to ask him to assign us to a large table with single men. Well, that evening when we arrived at our table we were delighted to see 2 men sitting at our table. When I sat next to one, he was so happy.....to let me know that they just had gotten married the week before and they were on their honeymoon! The rest of the cruise we just gave up on trying to meet men and we came to the conclusion that single men do not cruise period, when they do, it's because of their girlfriends or wives.

I would be delighted to be on the ship with you guys!

Laiminga,

Sorry that happened to you but there are single men who cruise and I am one of them. I had a similar experience several years back on the Carnival Fascination. I asked to be seated with some single women if possible and guess what, they actually seated with a table full of women. I was the only guy and all the women were married and there is more to the story that I just won't mention here. I made the best of the situation but the women were shocked that I stayed at the table for the entire cruise. It was only a 4 day cruise and I didn't eat dinner in the dinning room while we were in Cozumel so I made it. Sorry you all didn't have better luck meeting some other singles. Hopefully I will meet a few singles on my next Princess cruise.

• 10 months later...

I had to read this post because I was getting the idea from this website all the single people must take Carnival and RC. I must be a little slow huh..... I was surprised to see Holland mentioned in a title.

I did meet a single guy on an NCL cruise (barely single), but I didn't meet any on Holland. However, that didn't stop me. I am taking Holland again, solo. Honestly, while I would like to meet people, I book for the itinerary. Their Alaskan cruise sounded really neat, and I can mesh with just about anyone. I just booked it about a week ago for August 3. However, at 42, I was one of the "younger" ones for the Panama Canal last Christmas.

I will be back with NCL for Hawaii in May. Again, I just liked the itinerary and times in port. Guess.. I am destined to cruise alone. ;) Oh well, I will enjoy the natural scenery of Alaska I guess....

Archived