What to do with luggage in Vancouver

thepebblegirl

You could ask them at the Pan Pacific. Also, I believe there is a storage option at the cruise terminal. Seems I remember seeing it. Send an e-mail to the Port of Vancouver, or look on their website. I found it one time, although don't remember the e-mail. Google it. (the port you will be using - either Canada Place or Balantyne). Good luck.

We recently returned from our Island Princess cruise that disembarked in Vancouver. Not sure which line you're going on, but Princess offers an Onboard Check In program. For $15 per person, you can check 2 bags to your final (U.S.) destination. They put registration forms in your mailbox on the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise. We put our bags in the hall the night before disembarkation and didn't see them until we got off the plane in Orlando. We also had a late flight and spent the day in Stanley Park.

Our Princess cruise docks at 7:30 and our flight leaves Vancouver at 8:30. And although we could send the luggage straight through like they say, we'd still have our carry on luggage to lug around.

http://www.yvr.ca/guide/todo/rps_details.asp?id=10002

This is the Vancouver airport guide.

Since the transfers from ship to airport are part of the cruise price, I think we're going to go to the airport and put everything in baggage storage and then go see Vancouver. I think we're going to do the on-and-off trolley thing, probably ending in Granville Park.

By the way, we were advised to be at this airport three hours early. Maybe because of customs?

I'm following this thread with interest since this is my exact situation in late August. Please let me know how this works for you (assuming you go before I do). I've considered doing the same. Alaska Air told me to be at the airport 2 1/2 hours ahead, but Vancouver Airport told me (via email) that we would not have to clear customs since that's part of this program. Princess "clears" us on board.

I'm following this thread with interest since this is my exact situation in late August. Please let me know how this works for you (assuming you go before I do). I've considered doing the same. Alaska Air told me to be at the airport 2 1/2 hours ahead, but Vancouver Airport told me (via email) that we would not have to clear customs since that's part of this program. Princess "clears" us on board.

Princess may "clear" you on board, but once you step foot in Canada, touring, you will be clearing customs again at the airport.

The "clearing" via Princess , US direct, would take you directly- from the ship to the airport. NO stops in between. So if you are touring Vancouver, you do need at least a 2 hour window at the Vancouver airport.

Our cruise is Aug 26 to Sep 2. As Budget Queen says, there's baggage storage at Canada Place, but that would be another stop on the way back to the airport. We're too antsy for that. Once it's getting close to the time to be at the airport, we want a straight trip to it. Probably getting old. But that might be cheaper because then you wouldn't need transportation back into Vancouver from the airport. I have no clue if there's anything besides taxis available for that.

I "contact us"ed the Vancouver Airport to ask if I was still eligible for US Direct if my cruise ship docked at 7:30am but I didn't fly out until 8:30 that evening and toured Vancouver in the hours in between. Their answer:

"Yes you are still eligible for the US Direct Program as long as you are departing the same day as the ship arrives, are flying on a pre-cleared US flight direct to the US and are a US Citizen or have a Landed Permanent Residence."

I'd love somebody to help straighten this out. Canada Place baggage storage only goes until 4pm according to their website.

I "contact us"ed the Vancouver Airport to ask if I was still eligible for US Direct if my cruise ship docked at 7:30am but I didn't fly out until 8:30 that evening and toured Vancouver in the hours in between. Their answer:

"Yes you are still eligible for the US Direct Program as long as you are departing the same day as the ship arrives, are flying on a pre-cleared US flight direct to the US and are a US Citizen or have a Landed Permanent Residence."

I'd love somebody to help straighten this out. Canada Place baggage storage only goes until 4pm according to their website.

Yeah, it would be nice to hear from someone that's done this. If you did the above, though, wouldn't you still have your carry on luggage to haul around with you? I'm expecting to have two suitcases each to check, plus the carry ons.

I guess with the US Direct program, you can "clear" your luggage directly to the airport--thereby bypassing US Customs for your bags. I would assume if you spend the day touring Vancouver, that you would still have to clear US Customs with whatever you are still carrying that day however. I think we need to be clear on what exactly you are "eligible" for with US Direct.

I guess with the US Direct program, you can "clear" your luggage directly to the airport--thereby bypassing US Customs for your bags. I would assume if you spend the day touring Vancouver, that you would still have to clear US Customs with whatever you are still carrying that day however. I think we need to be clear on what exactly you are "eligible" for with US Direct.

Do you think this would work? Do the US Direct program for our four suitcases and use the Princess transfer to the airport. Then leave the carry-ons in the storage at the airport and go sightsee. This would reduce the cost of storing the bags. Or when you get off the bus at the airport, are you forced into some customs line and you're stuck?

We stored our bags at Canada Place ($5 per bag) and took the on-off trolley for the day. Canada Place is one of their stops. We had 4 bags and checked them all. Very convenient. There is a tourist information center at Canada Place as soon as you leave the ship. Also, there is an ATM to get Canadian money.

Our cruise is Aug 26 to Sep 2. As Budget Queen says, there's baggage storage at Canada Place, but that would be another stop on the way back to the airport. We're too antsy for that. Once it's getting close to the time to be at the airport, we want a straight trip to it. Probably getting old. But that might be cheaper because then you wouldn't need transportation back into Vancouver from the airport. I have no clue if there's anything besides taxis available for that.

The problem with storing your bags at the airport is time. It can take 45 mins. each way via cab since it is all congested city stop and go driving. Then you are backtracking back to downtown, if that is where your touring is from. It will also run you at least $60 in cab fares. So for a day visit before a later flight, I still think storing your bags at Canada Place, doing your touring, pick up your bags and then to the airport, is still the best use of time.

The problem with storing your bags at the airport is time. It can take 45 mins. each way via cab since it is all congested city stop and go driving. Then you are backtracking back to downtown, if that is where your touring is from. It will also run you at least $60 in cab fares. So for a day visit before a later flight, I still think storing your bags at Canada Place, doing your touring, pick up your bags and then to the airport, is still the best use of time.

Sounds like you're right, but it's annoying. I'll have to stop whatever I'm doing by probably 3:15 to pick my luggage up before 4:00 and go to the airport, but my flight doesn't leave until 8:30. Lot of wasted time sitting in the airport when I could be seeing a city. Thanks for your thoughts.

Have you considered a car rental? There are rental companies at Canada Place - put your luggage in and when you get ready, go to airport and turn in car. Your cruise line may refund the airport transfer charge. My TA says that Princess will - we'll see. If you compare baggage storage fee, taxi fee, loss of touring time, and all other factors - it may be your answer.

Have you considered a car rental? There are rental companies at Canada Place - put your luggage in and when you get ready, go to airport and turn in car. Your cruise line may refund the airport transfer charge. My TA says that Princess will - we'll see. If you compare baggage storage fee, taxi fee, loss of touring time, and all other factors - it may be your answer.

Thanks. Good idea.

Canada Place has kiosks for Avis, Budget, Hertz and National.

Without mobility limitations all downtown offices are walkable. There is Budget, Alamo, National, Avis, Hertz. I have rented from all except Hertz. There usually are NO cars at Canada Place anyway, you would have to shuttle anyway and it can be an extended time loading and waiting. Try all the above and see what you come up with pricewise. The repost if you need walking directions.

Pooflady,

I rented from Avis today a full size four door car for $45 CAN. Will get at near Canada Place & return Vancouver. Just wanted to follow up.

They will have shuttles at the dock, but expect about 45 mins. between trips. I most always walk, several blocks up Hornby.

If I stay with luggage and my husband goes to Hornby to get the car (which makes great sense) will he be able to get back into Canada Place to get me? I ask because Port of New Orleans had restrictions on this (pre Katrina, don't know about now.)

Archived