Wasn't Pleased With Cabin Stewart

Sandytoes

My kids (both teens) had an awful steward a while back (RCI). Please note that I spoke to their steward and told them that if the kids were sleeping in to let them and not worry about cleaning the room in the mornings. He said OK.

My DD was sleeping and the cabin steward came in and realized she was there. He asked her if she was leaving....he left but the phone started ringing off the hook. She'd answer and no one would be there. She went back to sleep. He came back in again and this time my son was there too and he chased him out. Finally she got up and went to eat and he cleaned. Later when she was napping around 5:00 he came in again to turn down the room. She told him she wasn't leaving and he would have to come back. Normally they don't take care of the room until your at dinner and my DD knew that.

They reluctantly told me the incidents later that night so the next morning I visited their steward and told him if he did it again I'd make my complaints to the proper authorities. No more problems after that until the last morning when their phone started ringing at 6 AM.

Needless to say his tip envelope was lighter then normal. I did write his name on our survey and he probably got into trouble for it but I didn't want him to do this to another passenger.

I guess we have been pretty lucky and have had wonderful service from all but 2 of our stewards.

I will also agree that you MUST use the dead bolt while in your cabin. I have a few thoughts on several concerns that were posted. First-you just can't tell a steward to not clean a cabin-they are followed and spot checked and will get into a lot of trouble if a cabin isn't cleaned. then, they are not allowed to clean when the cabin is occupied. Also, keep in mind that they are now up to 18 cabins each and if everyone is sleeping in, it messes them up-granted-this is not our problem but a Princess issue. This can also be the cause of the less than friendly attitude some may have encountered-it doesn't make it right, but it might explain it.

I've always found the stewards to try very hard to meet each of their passengers' schedules, but we must keep in mind also that those folks work from 6 am to late evening and are entitled to take a few hours off in the afternoon. Passengers who spend all day in their rooms napping or whatever (;) ) do present a challenge for the stewards to get all the rooms done and still get their few well-deserved hours off. They are truly hard-working folks and I really admire their work ethic and dedication to making my vacation a memorable experience.

on our last cruise our room steward,was competent,and did ok job nothing special,but i found out later on that he had gout in his foot,and was in pain,then i understood why he wasnt real chipper,felt sorry for him and gave a lil extra at the end even tho he wasnt super friendly:rolleyes:

We have asked Cabin Stewards before to allow our kids to sleep and it's always been fine. They had just come off exams and earned the extra sleep. None of our previous cabin stewards had an issue with this and I've spoken to several hotel directors that have told me that if that's our wishes then they will be granted. It's my kids vacation too.

Once less room to clean in the morning gets them to their lunch time quicker. I've never had a cabin steward complain to me about that.

Didn't Catch 22 have a Major Major?
Major Major Major Major' date=' to be precise!:D

Bill, I think that Patty was gently trying to tell you that Catch 22 was written by Joseph Heller, not by Kurt Vonnegut.
nice catch, Patty and Mom...you're Good as Gold!;)

• 3 weeks later...

On my last cruise, the male steward was extremely rude and left personal hygiene paper items outside our door instead of leaving them in the bathroom! We did not complain onboard (didn't want the toilets to be scrubbed with our toothbrushes!). When we got back, I mentioned the incident to my TA, who was appalled. He contacted Princess who responded with a written apology, an assurance that they would look into the matter, and a $50 shipboard credit for our next cruise.

Just like training a puppy, (please no flames, it's just an analogy and I'm a major dog lover) if you don't handle the situation immediately, your point is moot.

So if I am getting bad service from my Steward named Stewart.........I am suppose to swat his butt with a newspaper......:)

Archived