Wasn't Pleased With Cabin Stewart

Sandytoes

Last year on the CB I did not feel my cabin stewart did not know our names..... He was not friendly like others I had previous. Rarely smiled or greet us with a friendly hello....

He did not bring us fresh ice everyday.... When I asked for an extra towel for my hair he never brought it. I had to take it off a cart.....I also asked for extra towels since we where going on a excursion and needed beach towels.... He did not provide us with any.... Told us to go to pool area to get one. No one was there when we went......

Also, I smoke on the balcony, the ash tray was never cleaned..... He did clean but he did not go out of his way for us at all.

I did not change the automatic tipping, plus DH gave him extra on the last day.... It wasn't the usual extra we give.

Is the gratuity of $10 per passenger, per day for dining and stateroom personnel still the going rate or has that gone up too?

I heard that tips can be adjusted in either direction who do you see about that?

I did not change the automatic tipping, plus DH gave him extra on the last day.... It wasn't the usual extra we give.............I heard that tips can be adjusted in either direction who do you see about that?
By keeping Auto-tipping in place and adjusting the amount of cash tip, you did about all you can do without punishing others for this persons shortcomings. You would see the Pax Services desk to adjust Auto-tipping amounts, but realize that you cannot single out a specific person for adjustment...any change applies to all who share in the auto-tipping pool.

We had a room steward who was less than stellar on our Coral cruise. He never remembered our pool towels or the extra bath towels that I had requested. We had to always grab those off of the cart or we'd have no towels at the pool. There were other little things as well that he neglected to provide.

We did keep the autotip in place, but did not tip any additional to him.

On the other hand, we did give an extra cash tip (in addition to the autotip) to our waiter and assistant waiter. They were wonderful!

This has happened to me only once it . In your case if at least if he (the steward) were competant, but not just outgoing, that would be one thing, but what you described is very different. I do like having friendly staff also, but as long as they are doing their job I can't fault them from not having a good personality.

I go on vacation to relax not complain and tend to overlook lapses that are bound to happen. However,in cases where someone is not doing their function a daily basis, I do think that the matter should be taken up the chain of command, while one is on the ship. First to try and get better service, and second to let management know that there is problem that needs to be addressed. They wont know its broken unless you bring it to their attention. If this is done in a polite businesslike way I think it can be useful and not get us (the guest) in a mood that would upset the vacation.

Jacqueline is correct. If your steward is not doing his/her job, you need to let their supervisors know and at the very least, fill out the comment card.

My daughter and her husband were taking an afternoon nap one day and their steward walked right in on them without knocking, even though the "Do Not Disturb" sign was out. Not only that, but he wouldn't leave even though they were yelling at him to get out. He stayed and walked right into the bedroom area and fussed with the TV. She immediately notified the Pursar's Desk and also told the Captain's Circle person. She didn't know what else to do to get this person to stay out of their cabin. She also wrote specifics of the incident on her Comment Card.

If you have a problem with any crew member, it's important to spell out what happened, what had been requested, what hadn't been done and when. Saying "He was bad" isn't going to tell the supervisor anything. The proof is in the details. :)

Last year on the CB I did not feel my cabin stewart did not know our names..... He was not friendly like others I had previous. Rarely smiled or greet us with a friendly hello....

He did not bring us fresh ice everyday.... When I asked for an extra towel for my hair he never brought it. I had to take it off a cart.....I also asked for extra towels since we where going on a excursion and needed beach towels.... He did not provide us with any.... Told us to go to pool area to get one. No one was there when we went......

Also, I smoke on the balcony, the ash tray was never cleaned..... He did clean but he did not go out of his way for us at all.

I did not change the automatic tipping, plus DH gave him extra on the last day.... It wasn't the usual extra we give.

Is the gratuity of $10 per passenger, per day for dining and stateroom personnel still the going rate or has that gone up too?

I heard that tips can be adjusted in either direction who do you see about that?

I honestly didn't think people actually called them "stewart", I always see people complain about it, but never actually saw it in print.

I honestly didn't think people actually called them "stewart", I always see people complain about it, but never actually saw it in print.
Stewart is a person's name; a cabin steward is the person who maintains your cabin.

I certainly wouldn't give an additional tip for a job not well done. Why reward someone for not even doing what they are supposed to do? I have never adjusted the auto tip, but for the kind of service the op received, I might have considered it.

First, type-o -- Cabin Steward.

OuiOnboard -- what a great statement -- "By keeping Auto-tipping in place and adjusting the amount of cash tip, you did about all you can do without punishing others for this persons shortcomings."

Jacqueline -- "on vacation to relax not complain." That is why we didn't say a word. I didn't allow it to get to me.

Pam in MA -- On another ship, our Cabin Steward walked right in as I was coming out of the shower with my robe on. He covered is eyes (peaking) saying, "sorry, sorry, sorry". I had to laugh. He did not realize I was in the shower and didn't hear his knock.....He was one of the nicest CS we ever had.

Merion Mom -- Good one! LOL

I think I had the worst steward ever. Traveling (single mom) with my 2 teens, 3 of us in the cabin, 7 day cruise, and room was cleaned only twice!

The first day when he finally came by to introduce himself, I asked for ice. In the past, there is usually ice in the room. So the first day I got ice, but never again. The 2nd day, the room was not made up or cleaned. I was surprised but figuared he was busy. The door sign was on the door to make up the room. That night we went to bed with unmade beds and no ice. The next day, early I finally tracked him down with my ice bucket in hand and asked him if he could make up the room today. He said there was a teen in the room when he came by, I told him the teens may be in and out of the room and if they were in there watching TV or playing gameboy to please tell them that you have to clean the room. He then walked me over to a place in the wall where the ice was located and filled my bucket that I was holding.

That day, the room was made, but never again for the rest of the cruise until the last day.

As far the the ice, now I knew where it was, I helped myself every day. One day, the steward was chatting next to the ice with another and I said pardon me, and filled my bucket - they just stood there chatting!!

The room was cleaned again the last night. This was not automatic tipping. I had the envelopes - I had dividied up the tips and had left for dinner with the waitstaff tips. The stewards tip, I had left the minimum in the envelope for a double room - 7 days, but not a triple. I shorted it one person but I was mulling it over whether I should do this or not and wanted to sleep on it. I did not seal the envelope yet. When I got back from dinner, the unsealed envelope was missing and the room made up at last.

The last morning at quarter to six he charged in the room yelling to get up and leave - we have to leave right now. At first I thought is was a fire or something! Since we were given the late embarkation. I called the purser and explained that the steward wanted us out now and she said we should stay in our room until the annoucement was made - which is what they had told us originally. I told the steward what the purser said, but he just said I had to get out.

This was the worst steward I ever had.

Some real horror stories here. I've always had good to excellent service on all my cruises. I do believe the key to improving performance is to "right" the "wrongs" on day 2 of the cruise rather than let them fester for 7 or more days. This has always been accomplished by some professional, courteous discussions with our steward regarding our very meager requirements (I'm the kind who cleans my own hotel room before the maid arrives).

Sorry some of you have had lousy experiences. I cannot imagine giving an additional cash tip in any amount to someone who provided unacceptable service. That's just wrong.

Only once have we ever had serious problems with a cabin steward. Without the boring details, the poor guy was anxious to please, but totally incompetent.

I wrote a short note to the ship's hotel manager. The next day the steward was being supervised by two white coats. They were not berating him, but directing his work.

Within two days, he was your typically efficient and thorough cabin steward.

Sometimes all a guy needs is a little help.

If you're in a hotel and housekeeping is lax in cleaning and restocking your room, who do you call? - the hotel manager.

If you're on a ship and your steward is lax in cleaning and restocking your cabin, who do you call? - the hotel manager.

Seems very simple to me.

We've only been on one cruise. When we met the steward, DH explained that we would like extra towels daily, ice twice a day, water, etc., gave him $20 and we had over-the-top service for the remainder of the cruise. He only charged us for water for the first 2 days. ;)

IMHO, it's a no-brainer.

I'm not saying that the pre-tip was a necessity, but that's our way of doing things. DH has a degree in hotel management and just "get things done" whether we're in a hotel or on a ship. If the steward would have been lax after the $20, there would have been no additional tip at the end of the cruise.

We could care less if the steward remembers our names or shows up 5 minutes or 5 hours after we've entered the cabin. Once we've met him/her and had a nice dialogue, if we get those little extras and see that our cabin is clean, cared for and stocked with the items it should be stocked with, we're happy campers. Any extras are a major plus. ;)

I didn't know there was a hotel manager even though I have been on 10 plus cruises. I never had anything to complain about, everything was always fine. This is good information to know if I ever get an incompetant steward but I am sure I will never run across one like the one I had again.

There you go, so now you know. Just remember, everyone reports to someone somewhere.

Just like training a puppy, (please no flames, it's just an analogy and I'm a major dog lover) if you don't handle the situation immediately, your point is moot.

Never wait until after your cruise or vacation is over to verbalize your complaints. Deal with them right then and there and your voice will be heard. Hey, when you buy a car, as soon as you drive off that lot........;)

I didn't know there was a hotel manager even though I have been on 10 plus cruises. I never had anything to complain about, everything was always fine. This is good information to know if I ever get an incompetant steward but I am sure I will never run across one like the one I had again.

I think I had the worst steward ever. Traveling (single mom) with my 2 teens, 3 of us in the cabin, 7 day cruise, and room was cleaned only twice!

The first day when he finally came by to introduce himself, I asked for ice. In the past, there is usually ice in the room. So the first day I got ice, but never again. The 2nd day, the room was not made up or cleaned. I was surprised but figuared he was busy. The door sign was on the door to make up the room. That night we went to bed with unmade beds and no ice. The next day, early I finally tracked him down with my ice bucket in hand and asked him if he could make up the room today. He said there was a teen in the room when he came by, I told him the teens may be in and out of the room and if they were in there watching TV or playing gameboy to please tell them that you have to clean the room. He then walked me over to a place in the wall where the ice was located and filled my bucket that I was holding.

That day, the room was made, but never again for the rest of the cruise until the last day.

As far the the ice, now I knew where it was, I helped myself every day. One day, the steward was chatting next to the ice with another and I said pardon me, and filled my bucket - they just stood there chatting!!

The room was cleaned again the last night. This was not automatic tipping. I had the envelopes - I had dividied up the tips and had left for dinner with the waitstaff tips. The stewards tip, I had left the minimum in the envelope for a double room - 7 days, but not a triple. I shorted it one person but I was mulling it over whether I should do this or not and wanted to sleep on it. I did not seal the envelope yet. When I got back from dinner, the unsealed envelope was missing and the room made up at last.

The last morning at quarter to six he charged in the room yelling to get up and leave - we have to leave right now. At first I thought is was a fire or something! Since we were given the late embarkation. I called the purser and explained that the steward wanted us out now and she said we should stay in our room until the annoucement was made - which is what they had told us originally. I told the steward what the purser said, but he just said I had to get out.

This was the worst steward I ever had.

Remember next time when you cruise that if you turn the knob on the bottom of the door next to the handle nobody can enter the room without a different key. You should be using that knob when you turn in for the night too.

Sorry some of you have had lousy experiences. I cannot imagine giving an additional cash tip in any amount to someone who provided unacceptable service. That's just wrong.

Sorry I can't imagine giving any tip whatsoever in the cases that were outlined. Talk about being rewarded for nothing.

Cheers,

Peter

Stewart is a person's name; a cabin steward is the person who maintains your cabin.

Has anyone ever had a room steward whose name was Stewart? Wouldn't that be something like Vonnegut's Major Major?:D

Sorry I can't imagine giving any tip whatsoever in the cases that were outlined. Talk about being rewarded for nothing.

Cheers,

Peter

I agree, sometimes the only way to get through to them that they are doing wrong is if you do not tip.

Just like a shop that you get bad service in, you complain ASAP and get it sorted.

Archived