Climbing the Falls at Ocho Rios

shirljean

I seem to remember there were lockers at the Falls. You will love it there...it is so much fun, and really beautiful. when you leave, there is a small market area....keep hold of your kids. the Jamaican's will come right up to them and try to sell them all sorts of stuff! they are harmless, but annoying. Enjoy!

There are lockers, actually when I was there two years ago they were wooden with pad-locks. I think that they cost less than $5.00. We carried a small amount of money in a water wallet around our neck. The guides suggest holding hands and forming a human chain to climb, but some of the climb was much easier going solo. We wore water shoes, you can buy them at Walmart or rent them there at the falls. We also saw others wearing old sneakers. I can't imagine that being comfortable. You didn't say how you were getting to the falls, we hired Peat Taylor and got there very early in the morning. I think that we were the second tour bus in the parking lot. I think that it would be harder if it was crowded. Have a wonderful time, this is one of my favorite cruise memories.

Darlene

We were in Ocho Rios last summer and climbed the falls. It was beautiful and we had a fabulous time. We used the lockers--can't remember how much it cost but, they were pretty big and held two tote bags with changes of clothes, towels, etc. We also used a water wallet to put money and our ID's, etc., and carried that with us. There were a lot of people who had camcorders and nice cameras however, we took a waterproof, disposable camera because I was scared I'd drop the camera or get it wet. The guides will actually take the camera from you and take pictures for you. We used Peat Taylor for a tour as well, and were early getting there. As we were leaving, it was getting VERY crowded! Hope you enjoy your trip.

I agree with the other posters. We were there just a few weeks ago. There are lockers available for about $5. They are quite large. But be aware that there is not much of a place to change clothes. They basically send you into a darkened room with slats on the windows. You should try and change in the bathrooms near the parking lot and not near the lockers.

Also I would recommend a disposable waterproof camera if you are wanting to bring a camera. Leave the digital/expensive one on the ship (or in the locker). Even though the guide will hold your camera, it can very easily get wet.

On the way out, walk quickly through the market area. They are agressive, but just be polite and say "no" and keep moving. Don't be surprised if they try to sell you drugs. (They did to us.)

The falls are definitely a lot of fun, but be advised that the climb is more than most people expect. You need to be in pretty good shape, and able to walk on uneven hidden slippery rocks! It's not as bad as it sounds, but it's quite easy to twist an ankle or scrape yourself. There are a few places you can get out before the actual exit if you want.

Give it a try, and have fun!

We also used Peat Taylor and had a wonderful time climbing the falls. We took a disposable waterproof camera as we didn't want to risk damaging our digital camera. Just so you know (our experience) after the climb was done the guide came up to us and asked us for his tip and also a tip for the videographer/photographer. We didn't mind tipping and had brought the cash for that purpose, but were a bit surprised at the face to face request. We also shared a locker with a couple we had met at the meet & mingle - plenty of room for what we brought with us. Have a good time and "watch your step". :p

I am a very big wimp and I climbed the falls in April. We did it last time on our honeymoon 20 years ago. You will have no problems. Bring water shoes or rent theirs for $5.00 and when you leave, instead of going to the right through the market, go left- back the way you walked in! We had a few ladies tell us we were not suppose to go that way, but we said " yea, o.k." and went that way anyway. ( I learned that from this CC board):)

If I can climb the falls, honestly, anybody can!!! Go first thing in the a.m. before the crowds. Enjoy!!:)

Yes, you'll need to have some money with you. The guides do expect to be tipped for taking you up the falls, even if you exit early. Can click the review link to read of our family's experience on this excursion for more detailed info. The falls were beautiful.

We also used Peat Taylor and had a wonderful time climbing the falls.

Is Peat Taylor a company name or just a person? How did you find this? How was the price of the tour compared to the ship's price?

Can't wait to do this in February.

My youngest is 11 -- he's pretty athletic -- no problem, right?

My brother's kids are younger (5 and 8) -- they probably shouldn't be climbing, agree? Is there a place he (or probably his wife) can hang out with their kids, play in the water, etc., while the rest of us climb the falls? Is it easy to meet up with them again?

How long is the climb? How long should we plan to spend there? How far ahead should we call Peat? (I'd much rather book this separate from RCCL).

Thanks for all the information. This will be a new port for me and I am really excited about the Falls.

We also used Peat Taylor and had a wonderful time climbing the falls.

Is Peat Taylor a company name or just a person? How did you find this? How was the price of the tour compared to the ship's price?

Peat is THE Man. tour is great.

You can find him at

http://www.peattaylor.com/

His prices are a lot cheaper and more personal than the cruise ship.

He is very aware of the ships time in port so you need not to worry.

We used him last year and I think it was about $ 35 per person, which included Dunns River Falls, a tour of Ocho Rios, shopping and if you like he will drop you off at a local restaurant and come back for you after you had lunch. Or, he will take you back to the ship for lunch and pick you up to do some shopping if you like.

If you do get Peat make sure you ask him to sing a few songs for you.

I think the best thing was Peat got us to Dunns River before the crowds so when we were done the hoards of people were just arriving.

i am sure you will not be disappointed.

Can't wait to do this in February.

My youngest is 11 -- he's pretty athletic -- no problem, right?

As they say in Jamaica No problem man

My brother's kids are younger (5 and 8) -- they probably shouldn't be climbing, agree? Is there a place he (or probably his wife) can hang out with their kids, play in the water, etc., while the rest of us climb the falls? Is it easy to meet up with them again?

That is you call but I did see young kids climbing and had a great time. You can meet them at the top of the Falls when they are done. there is an observation area about half way up the falls. At the top of the falls there is a quite water area where they can hang out as well.

How long is the climb? How long should we plan to spend there? How far ahead should we call Peat? (I'd much rather book this separate from RCCL).

Our climb took about an hour or so. We booked Peat via e-mail as soon as we decided to use him, he books up pretty quick.

http://www.peattaylor.com/

On the way out, walk quickly through the market area. They are agressive, but just be polite and say "no" and keep moving.

Or better yet, do a little shopping! We found a couple nice paintings a a carving, it's all part of the vacation:) Yes the sellers are aggressive, but they won't bite:D

As for the kids, our 7 year old daughter climbed the falls last February no problem. There was one time when the guide picked her up and took her around a tough spot. She had a blast!

We don't normally do this, but we bought the video from the falls and were glad we did. They did a nice job and put it to reggae music. They ask for cash and tell you it will be on the ship for you later. I figured what the heck, take a little gamble. Sure enough, we picked it up at the desk on board just like they promised!

We have been to the falls twice. The first time we just climbed up along side the water via the stairs and pathway. The second time we climbed the falls. Both times we took a shipboard excursion on the Sundancer to the falls. The excursions took us on a trip to see the general area from the boat and then on to the falls. I recommend this because you don't have to venture through the parking lot at the top of the falls. In addition you can leave some of your things on the boat which is docked while you enjoy the falls. The excursion provided water shoes for us as well. I would caution you about climbing the falls. On our first trip we observed a woman either break/twist her ankle while climbing the falls. She had to be carried back to our excursion boat by her family. She was sailing on our ship and she was in a wheelchair for the remainder of the cruise. This was our first stop I might add. Climbing is very dicey so be very, very careful.

Just returned from Jamaica (though not on a cruise) we joined a tour from our hotel and it was fantastic. There were a few kids on the falls when we were there ranging in ages from 5 -12. They did great - the human chain that you form climbing the falls gives them the occasional lift that they need. As far as someone breaking or spraining their leg, I'm not saying that it is impossible but the same can happen on a hike. It just depends on how you put your foot down. If you follow the person in front of you there shouldn't be any problems. Enjoy - it was the highlight of our trip!!:D

Tennis Lover,

We are going to Jamaica on our cruise Sept. 4th. We booked with Ionie McBeam (Queen McBeam). We have two 10 year olds and a 4 year old. We all are planning on climbing the falls. My DH and myself have climbed the falls about 13 years ago. I agree with one of the posts that they help the kids over the rough spots. Worse comes to worse I will take the little guy to the steps and climb part with him that way. This way he will get to do both. But it is a great experience. Don't miss it!!! We will let you know how the kids do after our cruise. Have a great day!!!

If your digital camera is a good one it should have a threaded lens; if so, you can take it with you on the climb.

This is what I do when taking photos in rainy weather. I place my camera in a 1-gal sized Zip-Loc bag with the lens facing the bottom of the bag. Screw onto the front of the lens a step-down (or up) ring which will seal the material of the bag to the threads of the ring & lens. Take a sharp knife and cut away the bag material over the lens, being careful not to scratch the lens of course.

While this won't help your camera if you dropped it in the water, this certainly will protect your camera from rain. I've used this camera "raincoat" for several years & it works fine; I was given this little trick from a professional photographer in New York.

I agree Peat is excellent. You will have a great time. If Oneil (his son) is with him he will walk you into the falls area and take great care of you and your family. They sing songs and will tell you things about their island. The kids will also love climbing the falls and will do just fine.

Archived