formal night

In my experience, no, most do not, at least on RCCL. From what I've seen, maybe about 1/4 or less wear tuxes, and most of the rest wear dark colored suits. If your DH has a tux, by all means bring it (he'll look wonderful), but I don't think you'd need to run out and buy one or rent one if he won't ever wear it again. If you plan a crusing a lot in the future though, it might be a nice investment. :D

Fewer men wear tuxes but what is interesting about that fact is that the tux wearers look terrific. Now if ALL the men were wearing tuxes, they might not look so terrific because they would all look similar. I think the men wearing dark suits make the tux wearers look extra special.

But that said, the men in dark suits look great too. I think a man going on a cruise that has a formal night should at least make an effort to wear a dark suit.

Has anyone ever seen military folks wearing their mess dress on formal night? My thought for when I go on my first cruise is to wear my mess dress since I own it, it's formal, and I love the few times I actually get to wear medals on a uniform. I just don't know if it would be too out of place.

Has anyone ever seen military folks wearing their mess dress on formal night? My thought for when I go on my first cruise is to wear my mess dress since I own it, it's formal, and I love the few times I actually get to wear medals on a uniform. I just don't know if it would be too out of place.

I don't know, but that is a great idea. I never thought about that. I'm always looking for an excuse to wear my Dress Blues.

Well,I am not sure what mess dress is, but a uniform with medals, symbolizing that you served your country and were rewarded with medals, wow,....... how much more sexy and great looking can you get! Wear it!:)

I've seen it and I love it. Something about a man in uniform...........

Lots of posts with this very question, and the same answer, so I know that I am not alone in my opinion. :)

I don't know the military's rules about wearing dress uniforms outside of military functions, but they DO look very striking at the formal dinners! I have seen several men in their uniforms at formal night (American and British), and a couple of kilts as well.

Will they allow men into the dining room on formal night in sport jacket, tie, and slacks or a light colored summer suit? The idea of sweltering in a dark suit or tux in the Eastern Med in the heat of August doesn't sound fun at all.

Will they allow men into the dining room on formal night in sport jacket, tie, and slacks or a light colored summer suit? The idea of sweltering in a dark suit or tux in the Eastern Med in the heat of August doesn't sound fun at all.

Yes they will. I've even seen (unfortunately IMO) one guy in dirty blue jeans and a T-shirt. I've seen a number of men dressed only in slacks and a dress shirt with no tie.

So you think I could count on being admitted to the dining room on formal night if I'm in a jacket and tie, but not a dark suit or tux? What are my 13 and 14 year old kids expected to wear on formal night? I don't want the family relegated to the WJ as punishment, but don't like the idea of wearing dark clothes in the Med in August.

cessna, leaving all judgments out of my response............

The cold reality is that you will not be turned away from the dining room regardless of what you are wearing. The expected dress is "formal", but many interpret that in their own way. You will be fine in the outfit you described. Your sons should be dressed equivalently. (and if they are daughters, dressy dresses. don't worry - they'll know what this is :))

So you think I could count on being admitted to the dining room on formal night if I'm in a jacket and tie, but not a dark suit or tux? What are my 13 and 14 year old kids expected to wear on formal night? I don't want the family relegated to the WJ as punishment, but don't like the idea of wearing dark clothes in the Med in August.

Unless all you are wearing is a bathing suit, it is unlikely you will be turned away from the dining room at dinner time. They don't turn people away because they will be offended and might not cruise again and they don't want to risk the loss of potential future revenue.

I love the T-shirt tux......because of the short sleeves!

Regarding military uniforms........we had a Air Force (let me get this right) Master Sergeant...........who was just married, spend their honeymoon on the Monarch. They had about 20 people in their group, and when they went to dinner on formal night..........it was a sight to behold. All of them in their dress uniforms. God bless our men and women in the service, and I will salute them any day of the week, as they watch over us and our country.

Rick

On our Voyager cruise last year our tablemates had two teen sons, they wore a shirt, tie and slacks on formal night. They looked just fine. If your kids have suits/dressy dresses(you didn't mention their gender) let them wear them. I wouldn't make an investment unless they will wear them again soon before they outgrow them.

As for me and my clan...we love formal night. I think the "free stlye dining" is for the birds. I like the on RCCL you can choose to get to know you waiter and have amazing dinners or blow it off and go to the windjammer. We usually travel in a big group so we are not dining with strangers and we have a ball at dinner. I have two kids and they too like to dine with us...as the dinner gets too late they are old enough to go to the kids club while we finish our bottle of wine...great stuff. As for formal attire...dress up! It is fun! We love cruising as there is something available for everyone!

As for me and my clan...we love formal night. I think the "free stlye dining" is for the birds. I like the on RCCL you can choose to get to know you waiter and have amazing dinners or blow it off and go to the windjammer. We usually travel in a big group so we are not dining with strangers and we have a ball at dinner. I have two kids and they too like to dine with us...as the dinner gets too late they are old enough to go to the kids club while we finish our bottle of wine...great stuff. As for formal attire...dress up! It is fun! We love cruising as there is something available for everyone!

I love getting dressed up...but my dh-who always dresses impeccably--but casual--isn't a great fan...i MENTIONED bringing a tie, and you would have thought I'd suggested that he cut off an arm. :cool: He will wear his really nice dress shirts and pants...but no tie or jacket....i have 48 hrs to convince him to at least bring a tie!!!:D (gotta go warm up the feminine wiles, i guess!)

Cessna,

I wanted to quote you, but somehow that didn't work. Believe me, I am not trying to cause trouble but I have a question for you. The temperature on the ship is the same year round, so I have been told. If that is the case, what difference does it make if you wear dark or light colors on the ship on formal night? I was told by a cruise director, the ship is kept cool so that men can wear suits and jackets when appropriate. I could understand if you were going off the ship afterwards, but if you are staying on the ship, and it's cool why wouldn't you wear something dark that is more formal?

Please don't flame me as I am really interested in the answer. There have been many threads on what to wear on ships and I know everyone has his/her opinion, but I truly am wondering what the difference is. Thanks so much.

Archived