Need Input - Diamond vs Radiance vs Summit

crewsn

Looking for input on a 14/15 day Hawaiian cruise departing and returning to LA/San Diego for late Sept/early Oct, 2007. The choices are Princess Diamond with 5 ports of call in Hawaii, RC Radiance with 4 ports of call and Celebrity Summit with 4 ports of call.

We enjoyed our recent cruise on the Golden all around and thought that RC Jewel of the Seas (sister ship to Radiance) was one of the most beautiful ships we have been on. Problem with the Jewel was that the food in the main dining room for dinner was disappointing for many of the nine nights.

Does the Diamond have a pool that can be covered like the Golden?

Thanks for any input and comparison among the three ships!

We have spent 58 nights on the Diamond/Sapphire, 30 nights on the Radiance/Serenade, and 7 nights on the Constellation (like the Summit) so I will give you one person's opinion.

I agree with you, that RC's Radiance Class of ship is gorgeous. We think that they are the prettiest ships we have ever been on. We also like the options for casual evening dining on the Radiance, especially after 4 busy port days in a row in Hawaii. In fact, I like the buffet food even better than the dining room food for dinners on RC.

The Diamond is also a very pretty ship...not drop dead gorgeous like the Radiance (no 8 story atrium, or whatever it is on the Radiance), but very pretty...since you've been on the Golden, you know the general look of Princess ships. We especially like the back terrace area, which we found to be much nicer on the Diamond/Sapphire than on the Grand Class of ship. The glass covered pool is wonderful also (very similar to the Golden). And there are definitely casual dinner options on Princess and we found the buffet dinner quality on the Diamond to be pretty good.

We love Celebrity, and the Millenium ships are very pretty, but the only indoor pool is the Thallasotherapy pool (adults only), and the casual dinner options are pretty limited.

We've done Hawaii 3 times by cruise ship...the indoor pools for the 4 nights between the mainland and Hawaii are a must for us.

Hope that helps!

Sorry folks, I'm a little slow here trying to understand what you mean. Does it mean the Diamond (or Princess ships) are the only ones that have indoor pools for the crossing to Hawaii?

Sha

No, all three ships the OP mentioned have indoor pools.

We sailed the Radiance, on a west to east trans-canal; and, the Diamond

on a far east cruise.

They are both great ships.

My only comment is the buffet.

On the Diamond there was too much cross traffic.

On the Radiance, there are two seperate/distinct serving areas.

Haven't sailed on the Summit.

Have a great cruise.

We have been on the Diamond and the Radiance...agree that the Radiance is beautiful..but the food, in the dining room, IMO, was not very good..Have been on Celebrity, in fact took the Infinity on the 14 day cruise RT San Diego over last Thanksgiving..it was fantastic!!!

Well, It is the Princess board... I have been on all three classes of these ships on the three lines. The radiance class is great for cold water cruises with all the glass. he covered adult pool is nice but people can get pretty possive of the space. I actually liked the dr for our 12 day Baltic cruise, but strangely enough found the entertainment to be awful, and the library tiny.

Hated the chaises by the pool. Very uncomfortable,

Lots of nice things about Celebrity- they do try very hard to be NICE. I love the martini bar but find the alcohol prices to be outrageous. I do rhink that the food and special restuarants are overrated. But what a beautiful DR !!!

I felt like I was in a movie.

But what can a say ? Traditional dining is not for me. I like to meet new people at the dinner table and enjoy the conversations. Some nights maybe I am early, depending on ports, and some nights a bit later.I like my pools and hot tubs open at night so that I can sit under the stars.... I like the flexibility of the dining arrangements with the horizon court. I love the in-cabin TV when I take a break with the kids to watch a really good current movie for free (unlike Celebrity where it is pay per view- who wants to commit on a vacation?). I also like the Canadians and Brits on Princess.

My daughter just came back from Canada today after visiting with a girl she met on a Princess criuse ~

Much thanks to PescadoAmarillo, wrp96, Cruisin One, LuAnn + Jacqueline for your helpful insight + comments. At this time we are leaning towards the Diamond Princess based on the comments, cc reviews, our experiences and the pricing we were able to obtain. Of course having a Future Cruise Credit we had purchased on board helps and we do love the rear pool deck area.

Happy cruising to All!

Steve

Archived