NCL vs RCI

teresapink

Hi

I have only been on 2 cruises, both RCI Voyager class ships. Although I loved both cruises, I am looking for a good itinerary out of NY and RCI doesn't offer one I am interested. I did however like NCL Spirit 8 day and also NCL Crown 7 day to Bermuda. Does anyone have any experience with those? Thank you for the information.....Also, is there a teen club on Spirit?

T

I was on the Voyager of the Seas once, the Spirit once, the Dawn three times and the Crown twice. First of all we like the NCL freestyle system better than the RCI system. We had a great time on all NCL trips, our last was the Spirit 8 day you mention and it was great. I would stick with the Dawn or Spirit and they do have a teen club. You can find many many reviews of both on this board.

I can tell you about the Spirit....

First Off - Go to ncl.com and read about "Free Style Cruising"....

Freestyle is very different from RCI...

The Spirit - Great Ship - Much smaller than RCI Voyager Class...

Asian Decor, Great Kid's Area, Great Bridge Viewing Area, Great Showers, Great Top Deck Lounge, German Food, Asian Food, American Steak House, French Bistro, Italian Food, Great Pool Side BBQ's, etc. etc.

Expect waits for Prime Time dining (7PM to 9PM).......

Teen Club was Great!

Buy your kid's a "Teen Passport" - see ncl.com for details....great deal, they get 20? Virgin Blended Cocktails plus other perks.........

Video Arcade was free on our cruise....But I think that may have changed??

Class wise, they are about the same and considered in the mid price range for cruises, however I have normally found RCI to be pricier. For us, freestyle alone makes NCL our line of choice. Yes, you will have to wait a few minutes but certainly not long if you choose to eat from 7pm to about 8pm. I have rarely seen crowds as late as 9pm except for very long port days. The secret to how long the wait is your flexibility. If there are just 2 of you cruising and you are willing to share a table there is rarely much of a wait. The problem arrises when groups of 6, 8 or more come in or couples insist on dining alone. We usually choose to eat with others, we prefer it as a matter of fact.

Another advantage to NCL is the variety of restaurants, they are above and beyond any other cruise line in this department. food quality in the main dining rooms are equal I would say. Again, we all know food is very subjective and what I like someone else will find discusting, just ask some of our friends. lol

If it were me I would give NCL a shot, no matter what ship you choose you will have a great time and it is good to experience new adventures.

NMNita

RCI takes the prize for physical activities but NCL has better shows.

I have sailed on both, and enjoy both lines very much. Both give you a good value for the money. My last cruise was on a RCI Voyager Class ship, AOS, my next cruise will be on NCL Crown to Bermuda. You can not compare a Voyager Class ship to a small intimate ship such as the Crown. I previously sailed to Bermuda on the NCL Sea, another smaller ship. The reason to sail on the Crown is for the sole reason that it sails from NY to Bermuda and it is small enough to enter all three ports in Bermuda. If you think you can get over the fact that the Crown does not have all the bells and whistles, such as rockclimbing, iceskaking, Johnny Rockets, shopping promenade, but want to cruise for the sheer love of relaxing at sea, then you will be able to have a fantastic time on the Crown. Otherwise, you might be better off trying one of the bigger NCL ships to experience the "freestyle" concept. jmo

BTW, when on a RCI ship there will always be others who complain that they think X, or Princess, or Holland America is better. . ;:rolleyes:

I have sailed on both, and enjoy both lines very much. Both give you a good value for the money. My last cruise was on a RCI Voyager Class ship, AOS, my next cruise will be on NCL Crown to Bermuda. You can not compare a Voyager Class ship to a small intimate ship such as the Crown. I previously sailed to Bermuda on the NCL Sea, another smaller ship. The reason to sail on the Crown is for the sole reason that it sails from NY to Bermuda and it is small enough to enter all three ports in Bermuda. If you think you can get over the fact that the Crown does not have all the bells and whistles, such as rockclimbing, iceskaking, Johnny Rockets, shopping promenade, but want to cruise for the sheer love of relaxing at sea, then you will be able to have a fantastic time on the Crown. Otherwise, you might be better off trying one of the bigger NCL ships to experience the "freestyle" concept. jmo

BTW, when on a RCI ship there will always be others who complain that they think X, or Princess, or Holland America is better. . ;:rolleyes:

you are so right: we can enjoy our cruise experience by not paying much attention to those who are going to let everyone know how much better another line is: we can try to change the subject when around these people or let them know how much fun we are having (that always blows their minds) or we can join in and feel we aren't getting our moneys worth by letting ourselves get sucked into the negatives. Isn't their a saying "misery love company"?.

NMNIta

Hi Teresa,

It looks like you've been on CC long enough to know that on any one of these boards there is lots of negative feedback and reviews and lots of people who will valliantly defend "their" line over all others. It's enough to stop you from trying something new:p - don't let it! We were so concerned by it all last fall that we ended up having an extremely pleasant suprise with the Norwegian Sun (and believe me, we were prepared NOT to like it).

As a family, we really like RCI, primarily due to the vast, vast array of on-board activities. We are go-getters and this is important to us. As we experienced, NCL is ALL ABOUT THE FOOD and their Freestyle dining schedules, which in it's self is great for those whom highly value that. The boats are different, of course, but even within the RCI line the ships themselves vary tremendously. You totally already expect that, right?

Having sailed both lines and having a positive, yet realistic view of both (based on their respective strengths and limitations) I sure do recommend you try NCL if the itinerary and price suit you on this particular vacation. As NMNita has pointed out, both lines receive approximately the same expert reviews and ratings and barring any subjective likes and dislikes, you can be confident in either choice. Simply acknowledge the differences and then do as much reasearch as possible on whichever ship you choose (NOT it's competitors - playing that game will drive you crazy:eek: !) to get your head in the zone.

Have a great trip, which ever you choose - we always do!

p.s. for NMNita:

Thanks for answering my post re: Monarch ot Seas

Annette

Archived