Bottled water?

About two months ago, my 18 year old daughter decided to stop drinking soda (we were all pretty addicted to Coke products). She now primarily drinks bottled water and occassionally lemonade (hates tea). Can you purchase bottled water on the ship? If not, how bad does the ship's tap water taste? We are leaving on the Freedom in two weeks!

The bottled water on the ship is pretty expensive. Some people bring a case of their own water on board. That being said, the tap water on the ship is fine, provided you put some ice in it to chill it as it is usually warm when it comes out of the tap. The actual taste of the water if fine. The ship has a desalinization plant so they make their own drinking water.

I think it was about $2 a bottle.... but once in a while it was offered for $1 a bottle.... like when departing for shore excursions.

I seem to recall that, on the Mariner, bottled water was at least $3.95 for a one liter bottle..... The bottles we had in our stateroom were smaller, and probably less expensive, but I dont remember the price.

That said - when we recently cruised I was 19 weeks pregnant (now 25 weeks). Being pregnant (and cheap :D) and needing to stay hydrated, I brought along two 1-Gallon bottles of water and a one liter bottle of water that I kept refilling when I went anywhere.

We put the one gallon containers into the luggage we gave the porter (and tipped him nicely due to the extra weight) :):o

We cleared everything out of the fridge and put it into one of the cupboards, letting our room attendant know where we put all the items, and we put the gallons of water into the fridge.

It worked out very well for me.

Congrats on weaning your daughter off soda!

Lemonade is free and dont forget that you can have room service deliver a pitcher of lemonade, cranberry, iced tea, oj, etc., to your room which you can also store in the fridge.

Just make sure your room attendant knows where the fridge items have been moved to so he knows not to charge you for them.

Happy Sailing!!!

What brand water does RCCL use? Mariner?

Also, last year's cruise, (not RCL), they offered a special deal by the case if you ordered the first day. Prior to the muster drill I think.

I found the ship's bottled water to be very expensive - $2.00 per small bottle. I took a few bottles with me in my carry-on, and when that was gone, purchased bottled water on shore for a fraction of that price.

Having said that, I agree - the ship's tap water is perfectly acceptable. Oh, and a gentle reminder - please do not fill up your water bottle in the Windjammer Café. It's very unsanitary to do this. I thank you. :)

Oh, and a gentle reminder - please do not fill up your water bottle in the Windjammer Café. It's very unsanitary to do this. I thank you. :)

I'm confused...why would I do that? Is the water in the Windjammer something special?

The bottled water on the ship is pretty expensive. Some people bring a case of their own water on board. That being said, the tap water on the ship is fine, provided you put some ice in it to chill it as it is usually warm when it comes out of the tap. The actual taste of the water if fine. The ship has a desalinization plant so they make their own drinking water.

Way LOL too loud right now. "The ship has a desalinization ""plant"" so they make their own drinking water".

Really? There isnt a "plant". Typically, when you leave from your favorite port, the water is ready, willing and able. Do you really think with technology today that we (they) have to *make* the water as we cruise through the seas? :p :p :p

I found the ship's bottled water to be very expensive - $2.00 per small bottle. I took a few bottles with me in my carry-on, and when that was gone, purchased bottled water on shore for a fraction of that price.

Having said that, I agree - the ship's tap water is perfectly acceptable. Oh, and a gentle reminder - please do not fill up your water bottle in the Windjammer Café. It's very unsanitary to do this. I thank you. :)

Thats why I NEVER fill my bottle up there. I usually just buy the bottled water anyway. Some things I skimp on but not WATER. Keeps us hydrated and healthy

5/28/06 Mariner

I put a case of water and soda in a suitcase and checked it. It was delivered right to the cabin. The empty suitcase was useful to carry home the souvenirs.

If you want water or lemonade from Windjammer, just take a glass and then pour it in your own travel cup. I think there was a sign in the promenade cafe asking you not to put your cups in the dispenser, but to use their paper cups.

Bottled water for excursions was just under $4.

Way LOL too loud right now. "The ship has a desalinization ""plant"" so they make their own drinking water".

Really? There isnt a "plant". Typically, when you leave from your favorite port, the water is ready, willing and able. Do you really think with technology today that we (they) have to *make* the water as we cruise through the seas? :p :p :p

Actually, supperjerry is right. The ships do make/recycle/dasalinize (sp!:eek:) their own water.

Actually, supperjerry is right. The ships do make/recycle/dasalinize (sp!:eek:) their own water.

Thanks you, indeed, some of the ships do. We saw this in the building of the Voyager of the Seas video. They absolutely do "make" their own water (for lack of a better word). :)

I too gave up soda (and all sugary drinks) a while back. I really DON'T like drinking water..suffice to say I have a cooler in my house. I was also one of those who laughed when people said they could tell the difference between tap and other bottled waters.

Who's laughing now? LOL...anyway...I know which bottled water I like...and can tell which is which..so, I bought a case of water...and we're packing it up and bringing it on.

At dinner, however, what drinks are free? My husband doesn't drink soda, either. We're not big on iced tea (moved down south, not born and raised ;)), and I am wondering what he will end up drinking that's non-alcoholic during the day as well.

Thanks!

At dinner, however, what drinks are free? My husband doesn't drink soda, either. We're not big on iced tea (moved down south, not born and raised ;)), and I am wondering what he will end up drinking that's non-alcoholic during the day as well.

Thanks!

think juice - oj, lemonade, cranberry...

there's always coffee and you can always ask what else is availiable.

Happy Sailing!

^ ^ I mean it is very unsanitary to put your water bottle right under or against the tap and refill it. That is how germs are spread. Some people do it and they shouldn't - it's gross. That's all I'm saying. :)

Believe me, I know how germs are spread...I've worked in an elementary school for the last 13 years!!! :) I just couldn't figure out why you thought you needed to tell me not to refill a bottle in the Windjammer. I thought there must have been something special about the water there that would make someone consider doing such a thing.

Looks like we will probably just pack a case of water in our suitcase and chill it in the room. The suitcase will probably weigh a ton, but at least we will have room for souveniers!

My husband doesn't drink soda, either. We're not big on iced tea (moved down south, not born and raised ;)), and I am wondering what he will end up drinking that's non-alcoholic during the day as well.

I know how you feel. I am a transplanted Southerner and we never have sweet tea at our house. My husband and the kids are all born and raised here. The kids friends all think it is funny to come to our house to eat because they are used to having tea with their dinner, but I never learned how to make tea the "southern" way, so we just don't have it.

Believe me, I know how germs are spread...I've worked in an elementary school for the last 13 years!!! :) I just couldn't figure out why you thought you needed to tell me not to refill a bottle in the Windjammer. I thought there must have been something special about the water there that would make someone consider doing such a thing.

Looks like we will probably just pack a case of water in our suitcase and chill it in the room. The suitcase will probably weigh a ton, but at least we will have room for souveniers!

Just a word of caution. Not all cabins have refigerators, and actually they are chillers and do not get very cool for the most part... but you can get plenty of ice.. We pack a small soft side cooler to keep ice always available because the little ice buckets are quite small.. (Hold about 20 ice cubes!)

Just a word of caution. Not all cabins have refigerators, and actually they are chillers and do not get very cool for the most part... but you can get plenty of ice..

Is there a way to find out if your cabin will have a chiller? My husband and I will have a balcony room and our kids (I shouldn't call them that, they are 18 & 21...a little too old to be kids) will be in a promenade room. I guess I could bring our rolling cooler along in the suitcase with the water and use it as a refrigerator in the room and a cooler for the beach excursions.

I know how you feel. I am a transplanted Southerner and we never have sweet tea at our house. My husband and the kids are all born and raised here. The kids friends all think it is funny to come to our house to eat because they are used to having tea with their dinner, but I never learned how to make tea the "southern" way, so we just don't have it.

Yep....to me, "tea" means a hot cup of tea!! If you wanted cold tea..you called it ice tea! And..the ONLY time I drink that is when I'm sick!

At our house, water and juice are on the table. Used to be soda, but my husband decided it was evil LOL, so we don't drink it anymore...! The only time we have tea (sweet, that is!) is when others come and byob...

think juice - oj, lemonade, cranberry...

there's always coffee and you can always ask what else is availiable.

Happy Sailing!

Thanks...I LOVE lemonade and cranberry, but it is a no-no since i am diabetic and am doing all i can to stay off insulin! I will probably have some tho, since I am soooooo under control these days. Besides...I am thinking....it's okay to be 'bad' once in a while, provided i don't go overboard with it (no pun intended), and return to my absolute monastic behavior afterward!!!:D

The husband likes orange juice--we're also not into coffee..don't even own a coffee maker! My 16 yr old has one..and I borrow it when we have company who drink coffee!

Is there a way to find out if your cabin will have a chiller? My husband and I will have a balcony room and our kids (I shouldn't call them that, they are 18 & 21...a little too old to be kids) will be in a promenade room. I guess I could bring our rolling cooler along in the suitcase with the water and use it as a refrigerator in the room and a cooler for the beach excursions.

I just went to FOS and looked atthe cabin descriptons and could not tel about the "refrig" as the balcony rooms did not say that they have them. So I am not sure.. I have not sailed FOS yet... You could make a thread and ask specifically if cabin # so and so has one... or try going to the freedom frenzy boards and look around there. You might be able to get the answer... sorry I cannot help you more about if you will have a chiller or not..

Archived