ID card on HAL

griswalds

Re: Government issued ID:

I haven't 'aged backwards', but have lost a lot of weight since my official DL and/or passport photo. Is that going to be a problem? I should have checked well before this, I guess, since we are leaving next Friday. Now I'm worrying, do I need to?

I look like "Cyrus the Virus" played by John Malkovich in Con Air in my passport photo. :eek:

fcstil_0305-2.jpg

So far I have gone through all check-ins without being stopped. I can't figure it out.

Actually, your photograph is NOT on the card, but in the security system on the ship. When you put your card in the reader, the barcode number that is printed on the card is scanned into the computer, and the server sends the photo associated with that number to the security monitor.

That was our experience on the Rotterdam. They took our pictures at check-in and then the security people have your picture appear on their screen when you leave and when you return in port.

There is no picture on the ID card.

jc

Do any cruise lines put your picture on the card? I've never seen it, but then I've not been on the high seas as long/much as many of you.

Have not see it on HAL, Princess, RCI, Cunard and Carnival, Jim

If they collect and hold onto your passports for the length of the trip do you still get the 'entry' stamps in them? It may sound silly, but I was looking forward to having Guernsey stamped in my passport.:rolleyes:
That will depend on the itinerary and local immigration regulations. Our passports were held on the 2005 world cruise. They were returned twice, as immigration in those ports required a physical match between the passport and the holder. They were collected again and not returned until after the last non US port. When they were returned we found several pages of stamps for some but not all of the places we visited. Some were stamped once, most were stamped for entry and exit.

We have stamps for Australia,- Si Racha, Thailand,- Phuket, Thailand,- Chennai, India,- Hong Kong, China, Brunei, Brazil, Ascension Island, and Singapore. In addition we had full page Visa stickers that we had obtained before departing for Brazil and India. Indonesia placed a full page sticker in the passport onboard the ship. There were a lot of other countries visited that did not stamp the passports... if they even looked at them.

We were issued a photocopy of our passport that could be used for entering the ports that required a photo ID, but our FL driver's license worked for us.

On our recent Baltic Cruise, our passports were collected when we boarded in Harwich, EN. They were returned after leaving Denmark and we were told to take them with us when leaving the ship in Warnemunde, Germany. We have stamps for Rostock, Germany, and for Russia, but not for any other ports from that cruise.

Question for Caribbean Cruisers... My Dad, RIP, started cruising back in the early 60's and his passport was a veritable storyline of his over 12 cruises...I would like to follow that tradition! Do the Caribbean ports stamp them, or can you request a stamp when you disembark... Thank you in advance for your replies

None of the ports (Ronne & Copenhagen, Denmark - Visby & Stockholm, Sweden - Helsinki, Finland - St. Petersburg, Russia - Talinn, Estonia - Warnemunde, Germany - Gdansk, Poland & Amsterdam, the Netherlands) on our just finished Baltic run required anything more than the ship card to enter the port although both St. Petersburgh & Warnemunde required showing passports when leaving and entering the ship. Actually, now I think of it, I believe Talinn also required us to show the passport to return to the ship. We were advised to carry our passports in Gdansk, but they weren't required for anything.

Archived