ID card on HAL

griswalds

I noted one posting that indicated that the HAL passenger ID card does not include your picture when returing to the ship. As a result you have to carry additional picture ID. Is this still the case on HAL?

Griswalds

Each time you leave the ship you'll need to take your ship ID and a photo ID.

This is not so much for the ship's security officers to see since your picture is encoded on your card and will appear on their monitors. Rather, you'll almost always need to show it to the people providing security at the pier so that you can enter the area near the ship.

Does the HAL ship I.D. card have a picture of your cruise ship on it? Also, do you get to keep it at the end of your cruise (as a "souvenir")?

Debjo

Each time you leave the ship you'll need to take your ship ID and a photo ID.

This is not so much for the ship's security officers to see since your picture is encoded on your card and will appear on their monitors. Rather, you'll almost always need to show it to the people providing security at the pier so that you can enter the area near the ship.

Actually, your photograph is NOT on the card, but in the security system on the ship. When you put your card in the reader, the barcode number that is printed on the card is scanned into the computer, and the server sends the photo associated with that number to the security monitor.

The cards usually have a picture of the ship's bell on it. Yes, you get to keep them! I like to put them in my photo album.

Has HAL changed their pax ID cards recently? I have a few of them from the past two years and there is no ship's bell on any of them.

the ship's cards vary in style.

My latest card, from the Maiden voyage of the Noordam, has the ship's bell.

My card from the Oosterdam, in January, had part of a sail on it.

My card from the Westerdam had the HAL logo on it.

They vary.

I THINK it's now the case that, on all HAL ships, the ship's ID card also functions as your cabin door key. Used to be, on the S-class ships, you had a separate key-card for that purpose, but I think that they've not upgraded them all. Does anyone know the current status on that subject?

I didn't really understand how my picture was transferred from my ship's ID to the security screen. I've learned something today.

as posted earlier on this thread--your pix is not in the card --when the pic was taken it was loaded into the ships computer along with the bar code that is on your id card-------------put your id card into the scannerand it reads the bar code and brings up on the viewing screen the pic that matches the bar code

Your picture will be taken before you get on the ship. It will show up on their moniter each time you leave and return to the ship. You will also need another form of official photo ID - we use our driver's license.

On all of cruises, Caribbean, Mexicao, etc., they have always looked at our photo ID. But on our recent Alaskan cruises, even though we were told to have some other form of official ID, they never bother once to look at our driver's licenses.

I sometimes have problems with my passport as the photo, obviously, was taken when I was much older.

Tom,

Obviously you have the same problem that I do. Apparently while my current passport photo was being taken my grandmother's ghost appeared, plonked herself on my lap and that's the photo that's in my passport. I know that that is not me in the passport and am always highly offended when the authorities look at the photo - look at me - and say "okay". What, do they all need glasses?:confused:

Thanks for a great laugh.

Valerie:)

There was one episode on the Noordam last March when the photo part of the ship's computer scanner didn't work. It scanned you on/off the ship all right; but would not bring up your photo.

We needed our separate photo I.D. with the ship's card then.

Computers don't always work correctly. :eek:

Just off the Noordam E Med. First, we had to show docs to get into the port at Civitavecchia, so it isn't exactly true that you don't need your docs. You might need them to physically reach the ship. At embarking, Noordam collects all passports so customs can clear the whole ship when we enter a port. I assume this is standard practice with large ships in Europe - I remember same happening with Princess. Passports are returned the day before you disembark. We were advised on board that a few places would need to see a gov't issued photo ID. Not sure what people did who only brought along their passport. But this only actually happened in Dubrovnik that I can remember. In all other places we got by with only showing our cruise ID. We saw people who were on smaller ships (Sea Cloud shared a few ports with us) who were asked for their passports when trying to reboard. I assume their ship has a different customs process than we did. Many people were freaked by having to give up their passport, but it certainly was better than having to clear 1900 people individually everywhere we went.

If they collect and hold onto your passports for the length of the trip do you still get the 'entry' stamps in them? It may sound silly, but I was looking forward to having Guernsey stamped in my passport.:rolleyes:

If they collect and hold onto your passports for the length of the trip do you still get the 'entry' stamps in them? It may sound silly, but I was looking forward to having Guernsey stamped in my passport.:rolleyes:

They (HAL) only collect and hold on to your passports for visits to certain countries, Ukraine comes to mind. The majority of the time, you will get your passport back after initial check-in for your cruise on the pier. You would have to seek out a customs official on your own in order to get a passport stamp in places like Guernsey, Nothing wrong with doing that, BTW, Good luck in your quest!

This is ours from 1999. I'm sure they must replace them fairly often, as each passenger is allowed to keep them. It would be really easy to change the logo when they make up new ones.:D

Well that didn't work. It put the file, not the picture. I'll keep trying. Can't get the picture to transfer. Oh well, I tried. But it has the HAL logo in Blue and Grey.

Archived