Itinerary Change for July 17th Zuiderdam!!

Bubba_59

I was just notified by my TA that days spent on Tortola and St. Thomas have been switched. I've seen that on other posts and wondered if it was going to happen on ours....I'm not sure if the times spent on each island will remain the same, however.

Thanks for the update. I'm on the same cruise. I hadn't heard from my TA about this yet. I checked the Cruise Ship Schedules for St Thomas and it looks like the Z has consistantly been arriving on Wednesdays (rather than the Tuesday shown on our itinerary).

http://www.*****/general_usvi/getting_here/Cruise-Schedule_2004/STT-Jun-2004.php

In most cases they have been the only ship in port. This is good thing. The more ships in port the more crowded the tourist spots.

I have shore excursions in both Ports, but because they are through

the ship they should be okay.

This really starting to bug me.. HAL has switched the last 5 easterns, and refuses to ajust their official itinerary. I've e-mailed them 3 times about this (1st time on June 2nd) and I still haven't heard back yet :-(

The 11pm departure from St Thomas is one the reasons alot of people book this cruise (over Celebrity's Century, Me included) and when they switch the St Thomas day, St Thomas reverts back to a 6:00pm departure.. Again, if this is the case HAL should admit the new itinerary, so everyone can plan or re-book accordingly

HAL, PleaseTell us the truth :confused:

Srpilo

HAL's website.

A few months ago we booked back-to-back cruises on the Volendam for 2005. In May we bought our airline tickets. Two days later we got a call from our TA. She had just gotten a fax that the second 10 days of our cruise had it's entire itinerary changed. Now we ar repeating some ports.

Hal's website didn't show this new schedule until the middle of June. It took them over 6 weeks to update their website. And it still isn't correct. Whenever I check their website for that particular cruise, it is listed as a Westerm Caribbean cruise but the itinerary itself is a Southern one.

This really starting to bug me.. HAL has switched the last 5 easterns, and refuses to ajust their official itinerary. I've e-mailed them 3 times about this (1st time on June 2nd) and I still haven't heard back yet :-(

The 11pm departure from St Thomas is one the reasons alot of people book this cruise (over Celebrity's Century, Me included) and when they switch the St Thomas day, St Thomas reverts back to a 6:00pm departure.. Again, if this is the case HAL should admit the new itinerary, so everyone can plan or re-book accordingly

HAL, PleaseTell us the truth :confused:

Srpilo

I agree - this really sucks. Hal can not be trusted. Its the old bait and switch. I booked this itinerary specifically because of the large amount of time on St Thomas. To change it and cut that time in half just plain sucks

Everyone who is affected should be emailing or calling HAL's corporate offices to exress their displeasure at this bait and switch tactic

Srpilo

The long day at St. Thomas was the driving reason that I booked the Zuiderdam last March. On the positive side, if the itineraries are switched, does this mean a longer day in Tortola? My daughter and I stayed up to watch as we left St. Thomas that night, and she slept rather late, so that we didn't really have an opportunity to see much of Tortola. This month, Conde Nast Traveller had an article on Tortola, and I'm really sad we didn't get a chance to see more of this beautiful island. So if the stay in Tortola is longer, then I guess one could get to see more of the "hidden treasures" that Tortola has to offer.

On the positive side, if the itineraries are switched, does this mean a longer day in Tortola?

From the replies that I have seen previously, the answer is no. they still leave Tortola at 5 or 6. More time in Tortola would make up some of it - but to lose all that time in St Thomas when its one of the main reasons for choosing HAL over another line is very disappointing

I think, as long as they don't cut down the time spent in St. Thomas, that it might be better to be there on Wednesday as the only ship in port instead of sharing the island(s) with 3 other ships. And even if they do cut the time by a couple of hours, what's the harm really? The original itinerary has us at St. Thomas until 11 PM. What can you do on the island till 11 PM that you can't do on the ship? Is the shopping and drinking THAT good?????

What can you do on the island till 11 PM that you can't do on the ship? Is the shopping and drinking THAT good?????
No.. But a day in St Johns without rushing back is... (not everybody just shops & drinks)

I just want what was on the itinerary when I made my final payment last week !! :confused:

HAL, No surprises please, is that asking to much?

Srpilo

I think, as long as they don't cut down the time spent in St. Thomas, that it might be better to be there on Wednesday as the only ship in port instead of sharing the island(s) with 3 other ships. And even if they do cut the time by a couple of hours, what's the harm really? The original itinerary has us at St. Thomas until 11 PM. What can you do on the island till 11 PM that you can't do on the ship? Is the shopping and drinking THAT good?????

But they are cutting back the hours SIGNIFICANTLY !!!!

instead of being able to spend a day in ST John and not worry about rushing back knowing the ship isn't leaving until 11pm, now we need to leave St John around 3pm to be sure to be back on the ship by 5pm when it leaves.

That is a SIGNIFICANT CHANGE. Everyone should be emailing or calling HAL expressing their disappointment

The times in port will not stay the same if the ports are switched. If they leave St. Thomas at 11pm they will not make it back to Ft. Lauderdale in time.

Whereas they can stay in port in St. Thomas, if it is the first port, until 11pm because they are only going a few miles to get to Tortola the next day.

I was just notified by my TA that days spent on Tortola and St. Thomas have been switched. I've seen that on other posts and wondered if it was going to happen on ours....I'm not sure if the times spent on each island will remain the same, however.

HAL, played around with our port times on the Zaandam back in Feb. This is now turning in an epidemic. I can see maybe having one ship have to change interaries due to publicly-unaknowledged engine problems or some issue with a particular port. But to have multiple ships in the same line change port times etc, w/o explanation, makes me wonder.

Outside of the port time changes, I loved my cruise on Zaandam and was seriously considering another HAL cruise, but with this seemingly constant changes in interaries w/o explanation, I will withhold booking another cruise on HAL

Another factor to consider... Waiting till we're onboard to tell us their "Fabricated Reason's" for switching the days, REALLY plays Havok with peoples independently booked excursions, and in many cases leaves people with no way to change their plans, there by leaving only one real last minute option.."HAL's shore excursion's".. Umm?

So maybe all these secretly switching port days, is really just a new Revenue Generating plan by HAL..

Wow if this is true, thats really SAD :(

Srpilo

Still just waiting for the truth......

3 e-mails and 31 days & still no reply... :confused:

HAL can certainly lessen everyone's concern's and hostilities by simply posting the correct itineraries, and keep customers informed.. Period!!

As customers who are required to PAY IN FULL more then 2 months in advance, I believe HAL has an obligation to be truthful and forthright with the people who's money they're holding.. No other business could get away playing it as "fast and loose" with people's travel plans as HAL seems to be doing now on a regular bases...

Maybe the Florida Attorney's Generals office would be interested, on a "False Advertising" claim , like they were with the whole "Port Charges" rip-off a few years ago ? Seriously, I think if HAL does not respond to my current 3 requests for information, I indeed might contact the Florida AG, and inquire.

My vacation time and money are too precious to be "Jerked Around" by HAL..

Srpilo

I, too, am booked on the Zuiderdam for November and have watched with anticipation these summer Eastern itineraries being changed around at late notice. :( We booked the Zuiderdam itinerary specifically for the extra long time in St Thomas so we could return to our wedding beach on St John and share another wedding cake. (I know, sounds cheesey, but it's what we want to do). Obviously, this is something we must book independently with the same chef who created our wedding cake. We look forward to the long, relaxing day on St John, followed by some early evening shopping on St Thomas at the same store where we purchased our wedding bands... before returning to the ship later than evening. Of course, this is provided our itinerary does not change as it has for recent Zuiderdam cruisers.

To me, HAL is not treating the Customers with respect. I can totally understand a change in ports due to circumstance beyond control (weather, mechanical, etc), but on five separate cruises? As stated by others previously, I too wish HAL would be honest with potential Customers and post an accurate cruise itinerary on their website. We've cruised Celebrity as well before and were pleased with their honesty - they added a port on a "sea day" and made sure we knew well in advance!! :)

Since we married in port while on a cruise, I am certainly glad this is not the cruise I had married on! Any bride watching ports being switched around for her wedding cruise or who was hoping for a sunset wedding on the beach on the long port day of St Thomas would certainly be having jitters with HAL right now!

I just contacted HAL through their website. My final payment is due in about six weeks I believe, but I'll certainly share this thread with our roll call group here on CC. Several others also booked the itinerary because of the long time in St Thomas.

We are also booked on the 7/17 Z cruise. The time in St. Thomas has also been change from 11:30 to 6:00. This was one of the deciding factors that influenced our decision to book this trip with HAL. HAL IF YOU CHANGE THE DATE PLEASE KEEP THE TIME!!!

Did I read correctly elsewhere that with the itinerary as scheduled (St Thomas on Tuesday, Tortola on Wednesday) we do not have to clear Immigration at St Thomas? But if the ports are switched (Tortola on Tues, STT on Wed) then we do have to clear Immigration in St Thomas?? (since now coming from BVI into USVI)

Clearing Immigration during a cruise is no big deal to me when everyone does it as requested, but...

On our Maasdam cruise last Thanksgiving, while clearing Immigration onboard in Key West (after Cozumel) we had to wait for over two hours "past time" to disembark the ship because a few cabins chose not to show up for the officials... even after their names/cabin numbers were called overhead dozens of times. Knocking off even more time for situations like this (Immigration and no-shows) cuts even more time out for port from a newly shortened day in port.

On our Zuiderdam cruise in April the ports were switched and we went through customs starting at 7AM. They gave us this green card which let us walk off the ship immediately once we went through the Queens Lounge customs area. The green card said that we could not be allowed back onboard until everyone cleared customs. No big deal. We were in line at 6:45 AM. Through Customs by 7:15 AM. Touched soil at 7:20 AM. Had the remainder of the day to do what we wanted.

Steve Hayes

Did I read correctly elsewhere that with the itinerary as scheduled (St Thomas on Tuesday, Tortola on Wednesday) we do not have to clear Immigration at St Thomas? But if the ports are switched (Tortola on Tues, STT on Wed) then we do have to clear Immigration in St Thomas?? (since now coming from BVI into USVI)

Clearing Immigration during a cruise is no big deal to me when everyone does it as requested, but...

On our Maasdam cruise last Thanksgiving, while clearing Immigration onboard in Key West (after Cozumel) we had to wait for over two hours "past time" to disembark the ship because a few cabins chose not to show up for the officials... even after their names/cabin numbers were called overhead dozens of times. Knocking off even more time for situations like this (Immigration and no-shows) cuts even more time out for port from a newly shortened day in port.

We are also booked on the 7/17 Z cruise. The time in St. Thomas has also been change from 11:30 to 6:00. This was one of the deciding factors that influenced our decision to book this trip with HAL. HAL IF YOU CHANGE THE DATE PLEASE KEEP THE TIME!!!

Thumb - unfortunately when HAL changes the date, they can't keep the same time or they couldn't get back to the Bahamas on time.

I would just continue to express your displeasure by emailing HAL thru their web site. I sent the same email to a number of departments

Archived