Should we try Oceanic for a Baltic cruise

wwinfl91

My wife and I are baby boomer age and have been on 13 cruises previously on HAL, Princess, RCL, Costa and Celebrity. We have enjoyed all our cruises but we have especially enjoyed our cruises in or to Europe.

We are looking at an Oceanic cruise in the Baltic in June 2007 that has a very attractive itinerary including a 3 day stop in St Petersburg. My question deals with the price compared to other cruise lines we have sailed on. From what I can tell even including the free air the price will be significantly higher than other cruises we have been on even if we downgrade to an outside cabin versus a balcony cabin on another lower priced line.

I would appreciate input from Oceanic cruisers as to what makes Oceanic worth their premium price given the ships are older and smaller (not a bad thing as we have always enjoyed HAL's smaller ships).

Thanks in advance for your assistance in coming up with answers to my question.

Have a great next cruise.

We did Oceania's Regatta into the Baltic, last August, Stockholm to Dover. Great trip, great ship, great food.

We thought the highlight of the trip was the Kiel Canal transit. Very few ships are small enough to make that transit. We had considered HAL's Prinsendam, as it also included the Kiel Canal. Oceania's two-for-one pricing and free air made it quite a bit cheaper than HAL!

Oceania's ships are not old - in ship years they are young! The small size makes it very handy, and you can often dock close to the city center, rather than some container port far from city center.

The food was outstanding, the best we have had in some 3 dozen cruises, including HAL, Celebrity, and Crystal.

Oceania's relaxed dress code certainly simplifies packing.

We are booked on Oceania's Nautica, Istanbul to Singapore, through the Suez Canal, this coming November.

Give it a try - I think you will like it.

We just returned from the Regatta Baltic's cruise. It was a fantastic cruise!! Food was wonderful, staff exceptional, ship is beautiful and the ports were all interesting. Fellow passengers were for the most part sophisticated and well traveled. From honeymooner's on to the elderly. A good mix. Not a cruise for children(thank goodness) We loved the transit through the Kiel Canal, very relaxing. The Archipelago on the way to Stockholm was worth waking early for. I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat! Jeanine

I just booked for the June 2007 sailing - even tho I had been pricing all of HAL's 12 or 14 day itineraries (Prinsendam has only 1 sailing for the 14 day)....I got a balcony on Oceania for cheaper than an outside would have cost me on the Prinsendam (I am a Mariner).....also, I like that we "hotel" the last night in Stockholm - saves post cruise expenses.....

Bonus is that my TA is pre-paying the gratuities for this!!! also, the specialty restaurants are no charge - and since it is so port intensive, I like the idea that it is anytime dining and for a 14 day cruise, like the fact that there is more than 1 specialty restaurant, so we don't get bored "traipsing" down to the same dining room.....

If you are interested in my TA - please leave a message with your e-mail, and I can give you the website....

Also, I am really looking forward to the "ahh" moment of trying a new cruise line!!! - I've downloaded/viewed sample menus - looking forward to my first balcony -

CJcruzer

Hi CJcruzer..Many agents pay gratuities, if they have a group on board it is paid for by the cruiseline..some agents ALWAYS pay gratuities..the trick is to find the ones that do it all the time!

Jan

My wife and I are leaving tomorrow to be on the July 10th Insignia Baltic cruise. I'll let you know what I think when I get back.

As for reasons to choose Oceania, we had very specific needs. My wife is seriously allergic to cigarette smoke. We thought that our cruising days were over until we found Oceania. I picked the Baltic cruise not only for the wonderful itinerary but also because the temperature should generally be more moderate. My wife also has asthma and hot weather is hard on her.

This is an expensive cruise but it is for 2 weeks and does include air(if you book early). I read nothing but rave reviews about Oceania. Last year we went to Fiji. We spent about the same per day. Don't get me wrong. We loved Fiji. It is just a comparison. When you pick the best it has a price.

Thanks for all the positive responses to my questions. I will continue to do some research on the cruise and then if my DW agrees we may join you all next summer.

Thanks again and have a great next cruise.

We were on the last Regatta cruise with Lara/Jeanine; we were very pleased with the Regatta: the best service and food we've had on 15 or so cruises; the menu contains some very innovative items including some Morrocan, Thai and Indian items, as well as Vegetarian which were exceptionally well prepared. The 4 dining venues gave good variety. My only quibble was a slight disappointment as to the foie gras and lobster, and mixed experiences with steak, but I'm EXTREMELY demanding. The 4:00 Tea every day was exceptional.

Oceania also does the little things well; the pool is warmer than any other one i've been in; the hot tubs were hot; the staff was never too pushy, and brought ice water promptly when requested.

At many ports a local guide came aboard and provided valuable information for independent travellers; also and as opposed to some other cruise lines, we were able to obtain valuable information from ship employees which aided in independent travel.

The limitations on smoking to two relatively small areas was a major plus, as was the absence of babies, and almost complete absence of children; the few children on board were well behaved.

The size of the ship is, as Druke commented, a plus; you never feel overcrowded, and there was never a wait of consequence relative to dining.

Given all these factors, I think Ocaenia is still a bargain, and its itineraries are the best; believe me, you DO want three days in Si. Petersburg.

I just booked for the June 2007 sailing - even tho I had been pricing all of HAL's 12 or 14 day itineraries (Prinsendam has only 1 sailing for the 14 day)....I got a balcony on Oceania for cheaper than an outside would have cost me on the Prinsendam (I am a Mariner).....also, I like that we "hotel" the last night in Stockholm - saves post cruise expenses.....

Bonus is that my TA is pre-paying the gratuities for this!!! also, the specialty restaurants are no charge - and since it is so port intensive, I like the idea that it is anytime dining and for a 14 day cruise, like the fact that there is more than 1 specialty restaurant, so we don't get bored "traipsing" down to the same dining room.....

If you are interested in my TA - please leave a message with your e-mail, and I can give you the website....

Also, I am really looking forward to the "ahh" moment of trying a new cruise line!!! - I've downloaded/viewed sample menus - looking forward to my first balcony -

CJcruzer (Quote)

CJcruzer,

I would like the name of your travel agent. I am looking into booking a baltic cruise next summer. My e-mail is gabs@zbzoom.net.

Thanks,

Gail

I just wrote some comments about Oceania's great Baltics itineraries on another thread. In addition to the extra day in St. Petersburg, you will also be able to sail the Kiel Canal, and that makes it my favorite itinerary in the Baltics. The Star Princess calls in Nyshamn (sp?) instead of in Stockholm, so passengers on that ship miss the amazing experience of sailing the Swedish archipelago too. I think Oceania also has the option to go into Berlin (not a great option for a day trip in my opinion, but many passengers enjoy it), so Oceania has it all in the Baltics. My husband and I choose based on itinerary, and I would definitely consider downgrading from a balcony (which we had on Celebrity's Constellation in the Baltics last year and enjoyed very much) to even an inside to be able to sail what I consider to be the best itinerary.

Good luck with your decision,

Donna

We went last year and loved it.

In St. Petersburg, we docked in St. Petersburg at the English Embankment, which is where the cruiser Aurora (just a few blocks down and over) fired her shots.

We were the only cruise ship when we were there that could dock in town. The rest were too big. This made the sail in and sail out very interesting as we saw a few subs on our way in.

The archipelago "entrance" to Stockholm is beautiful also.

The three days in St. Petersburg were the reason why which picked Oceania again (we had sailed with her to the Med summer 2004), but we also love the ship, the food, the staff.....

You will have a wonderful time!

Make sure you check the various postings for private tours ideas of the different ports.

Elin

In St. Petersburg, we docked in St. Petersburg at the English Embankment, which is where the cruiser Aurora (just a few blocks down and over) fired her shots.

We were the only cruise ship when we were there that could dock in town. The rest were too big.

Yes, I forgot about that. We were very jealous of Oceania's docking location in St. Petersburg (I was on the Constellation) because it must have saved a lot of time going back and forth from the (dirty) industrial port. However, we did see all the subs and the deserted military station outside of St. Petersburg. If you can, make sure you're not eating during that time because it is quite a sight to see.

Donna

Me too please....name of your TA. I have been wondering what Oceania was like.....now I know! It sounds fabulous....gotta start planning!

Thanks,

M.

eagleace1athotmaildotcom....in the usual way.

DO IT!

Just got back from the July 10-24 Insignia Cruise and it was great. The ship is lovely, our butler was great, the wine service in the restuarants could use some improvement, the spa on sea days was bliss, and the port intensive agenda was fantastic...could have used 2 sea days at the end to just sleep......

We loved the cruise and kept thinking how amazing it was that we were in cities that used to be behind "the iron curtain."

If I could use only one word to summarize the cruise........

fantasticwonderfulexhaustingonceinalifetimespecialtimesdidnotwanttocomehome

Okay - I didn't use one word - but it was a great cruise!

My wife and I were with She Devil on the just ended Insignia cruise and we agree totally with her comments. We have sailed on Princess, HAL, Carnival, RCI and the now defunct Renaissance, but none equaled the Insignia experience. I don't think we could ever sail on a "large" ship again after this experience. We hope to sail Oceania again soon!;)

Archived