Helicopter - Coastal vs. Temsco

traveladdicted

Hello,

We are crusing on Carnival Spirit, Inside Passage on September 6th, 2006.

I have confirmed with Coastal that the Helicopter/Dog Sledding excursion will not be running at that time.

Here's my question:

Should I book an alternate helicopter landing tour with Coastal or the helicopter/dog sledding with Temsco?

I've read so many positive reviews about Coastal that I feel comfortable booking with them but the dog sledding sounds amazing, I just don't know much about Temsco.

I'm not sure how much the dog sledding would add to the day. Is it worth just doing the helicopter landing and walk-about on the glacier?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I doubt TEMSCO will be running either. If a glacier helicopter landing, isn't that much interest, perhaps take your chances and book with TEMSCO.

Frankly, the glacier helicopter landings are excellent, but not for everyone. It doesn't sound like of great interest to you????

On our last cruise we did the helicopter dog sledding with Coastal and it was great in Juneau. The next day we did the pilots choice helicopter tour with Temsco in Skagway. It too was wonderfulm though I like Coastal better as a company. Temesco is OK but very corporate in the style. We just walked into their office and scheduled the helicopter tour. Friends did a glacier Trekk which they loved, I have never done it but you may enjoy trekking since you can not dog sled.

Thanks for the input! I had heard that Temsco runs later in the season with the dog sledding as they go "higher up". I sent a message to them to check and am hoping to hear back soon.

The glacier trek does sound amazing as well, the dog sledding just a little more amazing. Unfortunately, September is the only time we could travel so I will have to do whatever shore excursions are available. It sounds like it doesn't really matter what you choose, it will all be excellent.

Now that I've heard from someone who has been on Temsco, maybe I'll try booking with them. If they won't be running the dogs either I'll likely do the glacier trek with Coastal and go to the mushing camp at another port.

We did the "Valley of the Glaciers" Tour with Temsco in Skagway and loved it. It included the glacier landing and chance to walk around. Fantastic experience. I'd do it again. Flights were smooth, scenery great, and overall a thrilling trip.

I agree with Three4rd, Temsco gave us a fabulous experience. They were very friendly and efficent in their operation.

We arrived early to make sure that we were at the right place and to get settled. Since it was early in the in the season, we were the only passengers scheduled for the 4 PM flight. The staff was thrilled that we were early and gave us the option of an upgrade flight at no extra charge by joining the group that was leaving in a few minutes. We could also choose to take our orginally scheduled flight, but we would have been the only passengers on that flight. We opted for the earlier flight and throughly enjoyed the experience.

We feel that Temsco went out of their way to give us a great experience.

Thanks for the input! I had heard that Temsco runs later in the season with the dog sledding as they go "higher up". I sent a message to them to check and am hoping to hear back soon.

The glacier trek does sound amazing as well, the dog sledding just a little more amazing. Unfortunately, September is the only time we could travel so I will have to do whatever shore excursions are available. It sounds like it doesn't really matter what you choose, it will all be excellent.

Now that I've heard from someone who has been on Temsco, maybe I'll try booking with them. If they won't be running the dogs either I'll likely do the glacier trek with Coastal and go to the mushing camp at another port.

Coastal does not do glacier trekking, consider Northstar trekking.

I have flown with TEMSCO twice, excellent well run company.

Coastal does not do glacier trekking, consider Northstar trekking.

I have flown with TEMSCO twice, excellent well run company.

WE ARE CRUISING ON THE SUMMIT AT THE END OF JULY. WE WANTED TO DO THE PILOTS CHOICE HELICOPTER IN JUNEAU BUT THEY HAVE STOPPED BOOKING. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE SHIP USES COASTAL? WOULD WE DO BETTER TO GO THROUGH THE SHIP EXCURSIONS WHEN WE BOARD OR BOOK PRIVATELY NOW? IF WE DO IT PRIVATE WHAT HAPPENS IF THE SHIP SKIPS THAT PORT? THANKS FOR ANY HELP

WE ARE CRUISING ON THE SUMMIT AT THE END OF JULY. WE WANTED TO DO THE PILOTS CHOICE HELICOPTER IN JUNEAU BUT THEY HAVE STOPPED BOOKING. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE SHIP USES COASTAL? WOULD WE DO BETTER TO GO THROUGH THE SHIP EXCURSIONS WHEN WE BOARD OR BOOK PRIVATELY NOW? IF WE DO IT PRIVATE WHAT HAPPENS IF THE SHIP SKIPS THAT PORT? THANKS FOR ANY HELP

No the ship does not use Coastal. Ship contractors are ERA and TEMSCO. ERA usually will not book independent, but TEMSCO does.

Independent, will likely offer some cost savings. Independents refund fully if the ship does not make port, but verify directly policies.

Can anyone provide the web site or email for both companies. I tried a search but it is not working for some reason.

I appreciate any help

We are booked with Coastal for our upcoming cruise. They have been very prompt and helpful in returning all our e-mails and questions. Here the websites for the other companies since someone already posted Coastal's site: http://www.temscoair.com/

http://www.flightseeingtours.com/

We used Coastal a few weeks ago. We were very happy with them. They told us beforehand if we would like to stop where there's running water on the glacier to bring little collapsible cups with us and let the pilot know.

Sure enough, we all drank glacier water. Kind of cool!

Archived