Sneakers & flip flops in main dining room?

Thanks to all who repsonded to my last Q regarding whether formal dress was optional. We are about to go on our very first cruise in 2 weeks -- and I was begining to think I needed a "cruising for dummies" book until I found this web site. It is VERY helpful.

So, I think I have formal night figured out -- now another basic Q:

My 17 yr old will want to wear flip flops and or sneakers to the dining room on regular casual nights. Will that be ok?

Believe it or not, he doesn't own regular shoes - so I'll need to go out and buy him a pair if he can't wear sneakers.

Thanks,

Rocky

There is no problem with flip flops. You are in the Caribbean and on Vacation. It is your vacation so enjoy it. I wouldn't wear them on Formal Night but all other is fine.

(Emphasis on the quote added by me.)

I believe you took my post wrong. Yes,the statement by RCI specifically says "Not Permitted". However, if you follow the link I provided you will also see that the category on that page is "Dress Suggestion".

To me it seems clear that RCI does not want Tank tops or bare feet in the Windjammer. And, I am personally in favor of that policy.

To a novice cruiser and/or those who wish to pick nits, giving someone the idea that it is a suggestion (again, even though the statement that follows the topic heading is clearly NO) leads to some cruisers being confused and upset.

Sorry if my post confused anyone. WJ = No Tank Tops / No Bare Feet

Charlie

Flip Flops are not bare feet!!!

Why is it SOOOOO hard for people to follow the dress code???????? Just have your son put on a pair of shoes and end the drama already.

Dress code says nothing about flip flops. Women wear opened toed shoes to formal night so what is the problem with a man wearing open toed shoes?

Guest cvbart
Some kid's dad was asked to leave my courtroom because he was wearing shorts. Yep, he was made to sit outside.

What does a courtroom have to do with

a ship?

Because they are not the usual, suggested, conventional footwear in the dining room for a gentleman.

Thank you...I could not have said it better myself. I know it does not say "no flip flops" but I think we all know the kind of attire RCCL is striving for in the main dining room. In my opinion (yes, it's an OPINION you do not have to agree) flip flops are a no go for men in the dining room. Do you really want to see some dudes hairy toes while eating dinner? I do not thank you.

You know what? I think people WAY overthink all this. It's a vacation. In the tropics (usually). But a vacation that involves going to a "nice" restaurant for dinner each and every night (if one so chooses as there are other dining options). I think people should just be prepared to clean up and put on some "going out to dinner on vacation" clothes, and IF they want to participate in all the hoopla of "formal" nights (strolling around and people watching; getting nice pictures taken, a little after dinner dancing, etc.) then throw something together that will make you feel more formal and go for it. It's awful that the "what to wear" question causes some so much stress when planning their trip SHOULD be so much fun.

Guest cvbart
You know what? I think people WAY overthink all this. It's a vacation. In the tropics (usually). But a vacation that involves going to a "nice" restaurant for dinner each and every night (if one so chooses as there are other dining options). I think people should just be prepared to clean up and put on some "going out to dinner on vacation" clothes, and IF they want to participate in all the hoopla of "formal" nights (strolling around and people watching; getting nice pictures taken, a little after dinner dancing, etc.) then throw something together that will make you feel more formal and go for it. It's awful that the "what to wear" question causes some so much stress when planning their trip SHOULD be so much fun.

Your so right.

But understand that some of the poster see this dress code stuff as being part of a a much bigger problem.

They see it as a decline of standards across the board. Change is pretty hard for some folks to accept.

Come on folks, it's just a vacation.

I have no issue with change if the change is an improvement. I don't see that what is being suggested here is an improvement.

I answer questions about things I have some knowledge of, or an opinion about. I don't obsess over dining room dressing: I just answer questions and have an opinion.

I have no problem with people wearing what they want on a cruise.

I don't want new cruisers to stress out, either. They get answers that may conflict, and then it's their decision to do what is comfortable for them.

I'm comfortable with my DH covering the hairier parts of his body when outside the cabin. :eek: :D

Flip Flops are not bare feet!!!
Thank you for the clarification:D

My post was with regard to posts #5,7,& 9 where the dress standard for the Windjammer was brought in to the discussion. No one had previously indicated that flip flops were not allowed in the windjammer.

As a matter of fact, as I re-read the excerpt from the RCI Web Site it says:

It's always casual in the Windjammer Café; however, bare feet and tank tops are not permitted at dinner.
The emphasis was added by me. Does this mean that bare feet and tank tops are OK at Breakfast and Lunch?

Again, my sincere apologies if I confused anyone with my post.

Charlie

Well, here was MY experience just two weeks ago. On formal nights, we (me and sons who are 16 & 12) dressed formally - suits on the boys and a long dress one night and short cocktail dress the other for me. I had packed khakis and nice shirts for the boys for all the other nights. They have tons of those polo style shirts from Hollister that they love wearing all the time anyway, so shirts were not a problem. We saw immediately that MANY of the boys (young and teens) wore their nice jeans and nice polo shirts with those brown leather flip flops to the dining room. All the guys have those brown leather flip flops - you know the ones. My guys wore the same and were comfortable, presentable, clean, groomed, neat and happy. I wore flip flops a couple of nights myself - you can get them with rinestones and other "dressy" looking decorations at most dept. stores for about $6. We all have them, don't we? I never felt that ANY of us were under or inappropriately dressed. If anyone ever saw any of us and thought we looked inappropriate, they were wise enough to keep such opinions to themselves!

Yes I agree with you totally. But we paid alot more then $6 for ours:confused:

Nothing more sexy then man in his khakis or jeans and leather flip flops:)

Thank you...I could not have said it better myself. I know it does not say "no flip flops" but I think we all know the kind of attire RCCL is striving for in the main dining room. In my opinion (yes, it's an OPINION you do not have to agree) flip flops are a no go for men in the dining room. Do you really want to see some dudes hairy toes while eating dinner? I do not thank you.

Ok please forgive me but I do have to answer this one. Since I will be sitting at a table, I don't think I will be seeing anyones hairy toes while I am eating my dinner:D

Hi, i don't REALLY mind what people wear but:

1) Aren't Flip Flops the kind of footwear that goes flip then flop. I find that sound annoying. Someone walking around flipping and flopping always bugs me for some weird reason. Other shoes make noise too but usually in a carpeted formal restaurent your don't hear people walking.

2) Casual dress is a change / sign of the times. Kids can make it through the entire public education system including college in most places without ever having to wear long pants or closed toe shoes. I think thats one of the reasons we see the casual/formal discussion alot. I do think that in the long run if people can't get comfortable with dressier (and I don't mean more expensive, some casual clothes cost more than dressy clothing) attire it can hender them in professional and social settings. But that is none of my business.

That's just my two cents. I do think RCI has decided what they suggest and what they will permit and I can live with it.

Sorry people - I have to say something. I came to this thread because I saw the word flip-flops. My 13 yr old daughter loves her flip-flops and would wear them with anything -- I came to this thread wondering if they were OK for casual night. My personal opinion is that we worry so, so much about how we look or dress - don't get me wrong - I understand we need to look presentable and nicely groomed and should follow the dress code. I like to dress up (every so often) but believe me I'd be happy in a pair of running shoes, pants and t-shirt - but whatever the dress code is, I'll follow it. If I had nice feet - I'd be wearing some flip-flops too. ;)

But let's not forget - this is a vacation. Let's get out there and have some fun, relax, meet new people, enjoy each others company and see the world!

We fell for this again didn't we?:confused: When will we learn......:)

:D I was thinking the same thing as I read through EVERY post on this thread. Somehow it's a lot like passing a car accident. You just can't help but turn and look.

What does a courtroom have to do with

a ship?

I think she was just implying that it's a sign of the times. I've always known that I had BETTER be dressed appropriately when entering a court room and that didn't include things like shorts, t-shirts or flip-flops. I've seen several people tossed from a court room for not dressing appropriately and then get ticked off about it. People just have a different concept of "proper" attire today.

Now, having said all of that, I realize there is no dress code on RCI ships. A few things are not permitted but that hardly constitiutes a dress code. On the other hand, there are those of us whose parents impressed upon us an idea of what "proper" attire is for certain situations. Cruising use to be one of those situations just like it use to be when flying. Seems that's changed over the years for both. I haven't gotten dressed up to fly in ages and have no desire to do so.

But let's not forget - this is a vacation. Let's get out there and have some fun, relax, meet new people, enjoy each others company and see the world!

A lot of these threads on CC make good dinner conversation with my DH......I read and talk, he listens:D :D

Anyway, I was mentioning this one to him yesterday, and the thing he keeps bringing up when I talk about the pro and con debates (which I do; I'm fair despite my own opinion) is he always says, "what does VACATION have to do with not having pride in your appearance and dressing appropriately for the occasion and place you're eating?" He says that gets him every time.

You still gotta go out in public, be around other people, follow some rules about behavior. Doesn't matter where you are: you gotta behave.

Relaxing and enjoying activities that are out of your normal routine is great, but what's that got to do with dressing appropriately, covering body hair and parts that are offensive to other people, and just plain look appropriate for where you are?

'Nuff said.

dougp26364: I agree with your last post. Well said.

Cruising use to be one of those situations just like it use to be when flying. Seems that's changed over the years for both. I haven't gotten dressed up to fly in ages and have no desire to do so.

I remember the first time that I flew, back in 1961, my sister, brother and I all got new outfits for the flight. It was like dressing up for Easter! Yes, things sure have changed!

Guest cvbart
I think she was just implying that it's a sign of the times. I've always known that I had BETTER be dressed appropriately when entering a court room and that didn't include things like shorts, t-shirts or flip-flops. I've seen several people tossed from a court room for not dressing appropriately and then get ticked off about it. People just have a different concept of "proper" attire today.

Now, having said all of that, I realize there is no dress code on RCI ships. A few things are not permitted but that hardly constitiutes a dress code. On the other hand, there are those of us whose parents impressed upon us an idea of what "proper" attire is for certain situations. Cruising use to be one of those situations just like it use to be when flying. Seems that's changed over the years for both. I haven't gotten dressed up to fly in ages and have no desire to do so.

I think you hit on the real problem.

I don't see people growing more casual in how they dress as a decline in anything, just the changing times. And I am 55 years old, don't own a pair of jeans and spent 22 years in the Navy.

I think a lot people remember a time when people dressed up a lot. And they see casual as a general decline in values.

A well dressed con man or woman could make a lot of money out here:)

This is the situation as I see it.....

Cruising many years ago included formal dressing for dinner as is popular abroad. I always laughed when I saw movies where people actually changed their clothes to eat dinner at home.

When you cruised you did not question what the attire was or try to decipher what casual or formal meant.

Today people could care less about what occasions requre what attire...they just want to wear what they want and can't understand why people make comments.

I see people weekly who come to church dressed like they were going to a picnic...what do people say...just be glad they came to church....oh my!

How about a little respect for your place of worship and the One you follow.

Growing up we were taught by our parents that many places required a differant level of dress....its so sad we have such a casual society.

I think the future of cruising will be the abolition of formal dress altogether which saddens me......not because I like to dress up, I do but more because it does speak to our societies value of dress.

This is the situation as I see it.....

Cruising many years ago included formal dressing for dinner as is popular abroad. I always laughed when I saw movies where people actually changed their clothes to eat dinner at home.

When you cruised you did not question what the attire was or try to decipher what casual or formal meant.

Today people could care less about what occasions requre what attire...they just want to wear what they want and can't understand why people make comments.

I see people weekly who come to church dressed like they were going to a picnic...what do people say...just be glad they came to church....oh my!

How about a little respect for your place of worship and the One you follow.

Growing up we were taught by our parents that many places required a differant level of dress....its so sad we have such a casual society.

I think the future of cruising will be the abolition of formal dress altogether which saddens me......not because I like to dress up, I do but more because it does speak to our societies value of dress.

But cruising many years ago also put people in different classes that did not mix. There was first class and there was stearage (sp?). The people in stearage didn't dine in the formal dining room with the first class passengers. Cruising at that time was more of a mode of transportation from point A to point B when one couldn't hop a plane and be on another continent in a few hours. But it was a long trip so first class passengers had to be entertained and the journey was made into an event for them.

If we wanted to go back in time, we could also drive cars down two lane highways without AC, stopping every few hunderd miles at some creative roadside stop to get a cool drink, fill the car with gas and let the kids blow off some steam.

Cruises today are mass marketed as affordable, almost all inclusive vacations for the average family. The average family today has no desire for what the old idea of "proper" attire is or was. They are a family on vacation and they expect value for their hard earned $$. Some of these people put on a suit and tie every day and don't want to do that while they are on vacation.

The golden age of cruising really doesn't exist anymore nor could it survive with cruise lines that have 15 plus ships with 2,500 plus berths sailing every day of the week year round. There are cruise lines that cater to that crowd but remember, first class treatment comes with a high price tag. The masses can't afford Crystal but first class travelers can and, if that's the experience they want, there are cruise lines that fit that need.

Personally, I can't afford that. I might want to be a first class passenger and I might try to tell myself I'm a first class passenger but, if it were the old days, I'd be one of those in stearage rather than in the suites and formal dining room with the first class passengers. Heck, it's not even called the "formal" dining room anymore but is now called the main dining room.

Cruising has been a transition over the years. Ships have become bigger and the ship itself has become the destination for some. Cruising has become a mass marketed affordable family vacation. That's going to mean flip flops, sneakers, blue jeans, t-shirts and all sorts of things people might not ever have dreamed cruising would become. It's become the Disneyland vacation for a lot of families. Disney even recognizes that.

When I was very young, it was unheard of to fly wearing blue jean, t-shirt and sneakers. Heck, sneakers were for the gym ONLY and that was because regular shoes were just impracticle and would scuff the gym floor. Today, sneakers cost more than a lot of good quality dress shoes and flying is a mode of transportation only, not an event. Cruising is only a vacation to most and no longer an event.

As for dressing for church, I'm not touching that one. That's a land mine just waiting to explode. ;)

Archived