Bringing your own bottled water on the cruise

jmk22574

Hello.....just having booked my first cruise, I've come across many wonderful tips on this message board. I have a question about something I've come across a couple of times. Is it acceptable to purchase a case of bottled water prior to boarding the ship and having it delivered with your luggage? If so, is this frowned upon by the cruise ship staff. Also, if it is acceptable, do you tag the case with an extra luggage tag, or how do they know which cabin to deliver it to? Thank you in advance for any suggestions regarding this issue. ;)

We have taken bottled water with us on the last two cruises, but we just shoved the bottles in our suitcases. I don't think that it would have occurred to either of us to try to check in an entire case of bottled water. Besides, it is so easy to slip bottled water into every little empty spot in your suitcase, including inside shoes, that I can't imagine having to deal with carrying a case of water around to the airport and then cruise ship.

I am interested to hear what others have to say about this, though, because we are driving to the port for our next cruise, and I'll pick up a case of water at Sam's Club, if the cruise line will let me bring it on board.

How much is charged for bottled water on ship? Do they automatically deliver it to your cabin, and then you decide if you want it or not. Or do you have to request it? :confused: I'm a little afraid to drink water away from home no matter where I am.

I pack a couple of EMPTY water bottles into our luggage (no weight!) and fill them in the Lido with their good water all the time.

They sell water as you disembark in ports but who wantws to pay $2. for water that's free on board?

On our last cruise DH packed an entire case of water in our luggage by filling gaps and puting bottles between things. Got to the airport, our baggage exceeded the weight limit!!:eek: We had to step out of line, pull out the bottles and re-configure our packing. Ended up have to carry on most of the bottles and he drank a few in the airport. It was a nice idea that backfired. DH drinks a ton of water everyday and constantly has a bottle in his hand so on our next cruise we may pack a few, but that's it. Carnival sells botlles on board and you can buy water in alot of ports. In Europe the water was cheap and tasted great!

Missyal

I've always driven to my 2 cruises, never flew. The 1st cruise I didn't take any water, but wish I had. I drink plenty water and it got to be really expensive buying onboard. The next cruise, I did like lots other said - stuffed my suitcase in all available spots. When we got to the boat to check in - I saw a few folks with cases of water with a luggage tag. But they all carried it on themselves. We are going on a cruise next year but I think I will opt to finding all available spots in my suitcase, as I carry on alot already : ) But if you want to carry on, I'd check with the cruiseline just to be safe.

Recently returned from the NCL Dawn and we took a case of bottled water with us. One of the greatest things we did (others brought soda). We labeled the case with our name and room number and checked it curbside with our luggage. It arrived in our stateroom, shortly after the luggage did.

The porter at the pier was great...just tagged it as if it was another suitcase and no one seemed to mind. Bottled water was about $3.50 - $4.50 per bottle on board depending on which type you chose...plus 15% gratuity.

We were very happy we brought it along!

Hi,

There was a complimentary large bottle of water in our cabin when we boarded the Liberty.

Each night we would refill it on the Lido deck and put it in the fridge for the following morning tour. No need to keep purchasing what is free.

Purchased one of the Liberty large insulated bottle holder bags with shoulder strap for $5 on board. Great for DH to carry the bottle on excursions.

Kids also refilled their own individual water bottles each night.:)

On our last cruise DH packed an entire case of water in our luggage by filling gaps and puting bottles between things. Got to the airport, our baggage exceeded the weight limit!!:eek: We had to step out of line, pull out the bottles and re-configure our packing. Ended up have to carry on most of the bottles and he drank a few in the airport. It was a nice idea that backfired. DH drinks a ton of water everyday and constantly has a bottle in his hand so on our next cruise we may pack a few, but that's it. Carnival sells botlles on board and you can buy water in alot of ports. In Europe the water was cheap and tasted great! Missyal

I have always wondered why people schlep water aboard. I know there are horror stories out there, but who would "fess up". I wonder how many leaking water bottles, crushed beer cans, and broken wine bottles are hoisted aboard each ship.

It seems so unnecessary and not worth the effort. I have heard some say "they don't carry my brand", "I only drink Peach Propel", ...... I guess I am too flexible to worry about having my version of "Peach Propel". If they don't have Coke, Pepsi is fine.

We just have the bottles we have carried to drink water while enroute, and we keep refilling them with ship's water. Seems so much simpler.

On Carnival ships, there will be a 1.5 liter bottle of water in the cabin - also several Cokes, Sprites, etc. There is a charge for these, the price list is on a tent card. I believe the water is $3.75. However, you can buy smaller bottles of water elsewhere on the ship for much less.

I am picky about water, and drink only Dasani at home. However, I now take only one bottle of water with me, and refill from the Lido Deck water dispenser. I was amazed at how good the water is:) , and it's perfectly safe to drink. I take a filled bottle with me in ports.

We always check our water too, just put a luggage tag on the outside of the case. Our friend brings Diet Dr. Pepper and does the same thing. I used to drink the ships water, and while it tastes fine, my ankles and feet were horribly swollen the entire cruise. I know they purify the water for drinking, but I wonder how much sodium stays in the water. There was a huge discussion about this in the fashion board (search for swelling if you're interested).

Sheri

Our first cruise last year we each wore back packs onboard with bottled waters in them. As soon as we got to our room we put them in the fridge and then used the backpacks for port days to carry the things we'd need and to put our purchases in worked out great!!! I think this year we'll only carry few bottles tho and refill from the ship as mentioned earlier on this post. Unless you really, really want a specific type or brand of water of soft drink that is. Have a wonderful cruise~~~~~~~~:cool:

I used to drink the ships water, and while it tastes fine, my ankles and feet were horribly swollen the entire cruise. I know they purify the water for drinking, but I wonder how much sodium stays in the water.

Sheri

Unfortunately a lot of the salt is still in. For that reason, I prefer to drink low sodium bottled water.

I wouldn't go so far as to being a case of it with me. It's not my style. We bring a few small bottles aboard in our hand luggage. Then when we go into the various ports, we often buy a one large bottle to bring back. If it's not enough and we buy a few bottles from the ship, big deal. The extra $10. - $20., isn't going to break our cruise budget. I'd never go through the trouble of bringing a case onboard.

We bring a couple of bottles on board, refill them from the bathroom tap and then put them in the fridge to cool (the fridges don't really "chill" much of anything). As for refilling at the buffet, on RCI, at least, they ask that you not fill your water bottles because people have a tendency to shove them up under the dispenser, which will leave their mouth germs behind.:eek:

In some ports (Barcelona is one) you will find shops right at the pier that sell water, soda and other items, so it's very convenient to bring what you want onboard. We once picked up a 6-pack of 1.5 liter bottles for about $12, vs. $3.95 for a single 1-ltr bottle (or smaller, I don't quite recall) onboard. DH didn't think we would drink them all in 7 nights. He hadn't really been paying attention to how much water I drink:D . We had boarded, dropped off our bags & then came back to get them - took about 10 minutes total.

It seems so unnecessary and not worth the effort. I have heard some say "they don't carry my brand", "I only drink Peach Propel", ...... I guess I am too flexible to worry about having my version of "Peach Propel". If they don't have Coke, Pepsi is fine.

We just have the bottles we have carried to drink water while enroute, and we keep refilling them with ship's water. Seems so much simpler.

We have family members that have severe food allergies to many types of food additives and don't want to take the chance that perhaps some of the water is not agreeable (we realize that food is prepared with it, and take precaution there also). Some people also have medical conditions and a sensitivity to salt. Since the water is desalinated, there may be some additional residue.

We feel it's best to be safe and since it was so easy for us to load up a case (we're local) we just did it. It has more to do with health :) , rather than being fussy.

We have always ( 8 cruises) taken a full 24 bottle case of water and checked it to our cabin. never an issue, no leaks. I do wrap it with duct tape for better packaging and slap a luggage tag on with our cabin number and name.

Smooth sailing

On Carnival ships, there will be a 1.5 liter bottle of water in the cabin - also several Cokes, Sprites, etc. There is a charge for these, the price list is on a tent card. I believe the water is $3.75. However, you can buy smaller bottles of water elsewhere on the ship for much less.

I am picky about water, and drink only Dasani at home. However, I now take only one bottle of water with me, and refill from the Lido Deck water dispenser. I was amazed at how good the water is:) , and it's perfectly safe to drink. I take a filled bottle with me in ports.

Cotton I did the same thing for 11 cruises and then recently I learned the purificiation process they do to make the sea water drinkable that not all the salt is removed. So that is why we swell so much! Not just the water either, the coffee, tea, anything that is made with that. I always gain about 5 pounds which comes off within a week of coming home but still I hate how bloated and swelled I am the last day or two.

so I have decided next cruise I am taking water on with me-no not a case or anything-good grief! and no I will not give up my cofffee I just figured I will ask some of the crew where they gets theirs as I always see them bring water with them when they get back on ship-so I will pick up more when in port.

DH and I will be coming from a 3 night stay in South Beach pre-cruise. Afraid we'll be taking a long taxi ride to the pier in Ft. Lauderdale. I'll ask the taxi driver to stop for water but, does anyone know of a place nearby or do you know if there is a place to buy it at the pier?

DH and I will be coming from a 3 night stay in South Beach pre-cruise. Afraid we'll be taking a long taxi ride to the pier in Ft. Lauderdale. I'll ask the taxi driver to stop for water but, does anyone know of a place nearby or do you know if there is a place to buy it at the pier?

Plenty of grocery and drug stores near the pier to stop at. Or you could pick it up in Miami before you get in the cab

I am at a loss here this has been talked about many times on these boards..What most people fail to realize is tha the water on board ships is close to the the best you can find..Yes they do desalenate it from sea water and the process that they use makes it better then most city water systems and better then most bottle water systems..what we do is on our 1st shoreX we buy 3 large bottles and then we can refill them as needed..bottom line is we have to carry enough stuff why add to the weight with bottle water???

We brought some bottled water (I don't remember how many bottles) because although it was my first cruise, Mom had been on one before and noticed swelling from drinking the water. We knew we'd be drinking the iced tea and such so we wanted to make sure we had bottled water on hand. I think we only had a few bottles left at the end of our 5-day cruise.

Archived