Upsell "Controversy"

kokosmama

I just got off the phone with NCL. I had called to say I am interested in an upsell on my upcoming 8/12 cruise. The rep said that he could put a note in my file, but because of the "upsell controversy" he would rather not do it. I asked him what he meant and he said that there are so many hard feelings about who gets an upsell and who doesn't that the process has been changed to purely random selection and that I would be automatically disqualified from consideration if I made a request. Weird, huh?

yes probably the idiot who paid less then someone else complained so loudly and now they will end upsales to loyal NCL'ers. Not nice. I suspect that senior management got involved. I hope its not permanent...

That's strange. I just got 3 upsells last week. Never heard a word about any controversy. :confused: When I was on the phone with the "Re-Assignment Desk" person, I asked her to make a note on another person's reservation that they definitely were interested in an upsell and I got a call for them a few hours later.

Got along great with both phone reps. and they never once mentioned any controversy. One of them did indicate that they like to offer them to first-time NCL cruisers in hopes that they'll book a suite on NCL in the future.

.........One of them did indicate that they like to offer them to first-time NCL cruisers in hopes that they'll book a suite on NCL in the future.

and another posted thinks...."upsales to loyal NCL'ers"

So who gets the upsell phone calls newbies or loyal NCL'ers?? <G>, I DO know that I got offered a mini suite from a BB Balcony for only $100 pp more on my FIRST NCL cruise..and then no offers for the next two--

Boy, I'm glad i book what I want when I book it..I'll Never figure out that upsell fairy

Yes, I would. You'll get two totally different stories I bet! ;)

NJBear - I don't know what their rules are as far as who gets an upgrade or not. I can only report what the agent personally told me. Your guess is as good (or better) than mine, but it's interesting that you were offered an upsell on your very first NCL cruise too. ;)

glad to see that this unfair practice is being looked into, my letter references this matter was mailed out certifed mail last tuesday and received on Thursday. Yes we are making loud noise on this matter. You cant tell me if I offer to pay more money for a AA cabin then someone else did one day apart is fair and got refused is fair, they are leaving there self wide open for a suit

glad to see that this unfair practice is being looked into, my letter references this matter was mailed out certifed mail last tuesday and received on Thursday. Yes we are making loud noise on this matter. You cant tell me if I offer to pay more money for a AA cabin then someone else did one day apart is fair and got refused is fair, they are leaving there self wide open for a suit

Unfair pricing???? You've never stayed at a hotel then have you? You can have an identical ten rooms all in a row and the majority (95%-99%) of them will all be at different rates....some (the idiots) will be a rack, some will have AAA, some will be with a group, some will have a coupon, some will have it comp. Some people believe that they can buy their way into a room type that may simply not be available....it just doesn't happen that way. There is no grounds for a suit.....otherwise you'd be able to sue a hotel for the same thing (actually you can sue anyone you want...but you'd be laughed at for it).

This continues to boggle the mind. NCL should simply tell you to go away.

I just got off the phone with NCL. I had called to say I am interested in an upsell on my upcoming 8/12 cruise. The rep said that he could put a note in my file, but because of the "upsell controversy" he would rather not do it. I asked him what he meant and he said that there are so many hard feelings about who gets an upsell and who doesn't that the process has been changed to purely random selection and that I would be automatically disqualified from consideration if I made a request. Weird, huh?

what is an upsell?

Get over yourself already!!!!

PE

what is an upsell?

Upsell=paying for a "better" cabin at a reduced rate determined by many factors........load factor......status with cruise line.......what you paid initially.etc.

Upgrade= A "better" cabin offered for free:)

Get over yourself already!!!!

PE

I am trying to understand this comment? Why does this person need to "get over yourself already"? My next cruise will be my 4th on the Dawn. When I booked I assumed I would be receiving the same amenities that I did on the last three. To find out from the boards.... prices on drinks have changed, no Latitudes discount in Spinnakers, and the biggest is the charge for the inside hot tub. I can truly say that was my favorite thing about the Dawn. I would not care about additional charges if I did not pay $500.00 more for the same category. I am going to Canada and the weather is much colder up North.... the inside hot tub (letdowns) would have been nice.

Why should people not speak up? Maybe there will be a change but most likely it will go in the garbage. Does it really hurt to try?

Why should people not speak up? Maybe there will be a change but most likely it will go in the garbage. Does it really hurt to try?

His absurd gripe has absolutely nothing to do with any of the issues you raise. I suspect no regular of this forum wants NCL to "change" what he is trying to get changed.

Just to be clear. Some cruise lines prohibit both upgrades and upsales so as not to create different prices on the upscale rooms. They would rather keep them empty than create an issue where people paid more or less. This is normally the very high end cruise lines. If the agent had been cautioned, there may be rethinking. Remember, there was an announcement a number of months ago that you could no longer call in for an upsale-although this doesn't appear to have been followed.

PS I stand by my first comment...

There is a thread on these boards that now discusses the fact the "we" may be ruining our perks by giving away "secrets" to things on NCL, etc. I can't remember the actual name of the thread, but I'm sure you all know what I am talking about. rpsinnj is a prime example of the type of person that thread speaks of and we all fear. His letter and gripping may have very well ruined another nice perk.. I wish people would just do their research, be happy with what they have and mind their own business. I worked in the hotel industry many years ago. The different prices paid for the same room type is incredible. IT'S PART OF THE BUSINESS! Same for cruises and vacations in general. Learn a lesson here, everyone. If you EVER have someone ask what you paid for your cabin or suite, tell them to mind their own buiness.

There is a thread on these boards that now discusses the fact the "we" may be ruining our perks by giving away "secrets" to things on NCL, etc. I can't remember the actual name of the thread, but I'm sure you all know what I am talking about. rpsinnj is a prime example of the type of person that thread speaks of and we all fear. His letter and gripping may have very well ruined another nice perk.. I wish people would just do their research, be happy with what they have and mind their own business. I worked in the hotel industry many years ago. The different prices paid for the same room type is incredible. IT'S PART OF THE BUSINESS! Same for cruises and vacations in general. Learn a lesson here, everyone. If you EVER have someone ask what you paid for your cabin or suite, tell them to mind their own buiness.

Hear........hear:D I also want to add.......PEOPLE LIE:eek: ........just to get someone`s goat (if they would be so rude to ask:rolleyes: ) I would tell them a ridiculous price:D

We were offered an upsell on our April cruise (which we accepted) from a romance suite to the owners suite. This was our first NCL cruise and only our second cruise ever (or first being 15 years ago on another line). Based on my experience it would appear that upsells aren't solely based on how many times you've cruised with NCL or how many times you've cruised in general.

Hear........hear:D I also want to add.......PEOPLE LIE:eek: ........just to get someone`s goat (if they would be so rude to ask:rolleyes: ) I would tell them a ridiculous price:D

I have done just that. It's kind of fun to watch the expression when you tell someone a price so much lower than they are running around talking about:)

Archived