Real Examples Of How My Cruise Was Ruined By People Breaking Hal Rules Of Alcohol Smu

Joedog

Sorry Sailure,

I didnt get that the booze that was brought aboard was smuggled. I am not familiar with Carnival rules about bringing alcohol onboard. So.....even though this thread was about "HAL" rules I wouldnt want to invalidate your ruined cruise on a technicality.

So.....congratulations!! Apparantly there is someone that had their cruise ruined (or at least semi-ruined) by smuggled alcohol.

Good thing that you remembered the incident on your 5th post to this thread or we would never have known.

[quote name='Cruise Junky']Holy Cow people I wish you could read this as an outsider. Why is it anyone else's business what I do in my Cabin? People aren't looking to bring a keg of beer on board. They simply want a bottle of their favourite beverage in their room for a drink before dinner, after dinner, after sex, while sitting on their deck watching the sunset..basically whenever the hell they want to.

A lot of people view cruise ships as floating hotels... is that next.. you'd be ok with Hotels saying..sorry, we have a mini bar.. you can't bring your own.

Get a life people...move on to more important subjects... this is simply the cruise lines trying to make money.. they really don't care how much you drink on board...they just want to make sure that you're paying them for the priviledge.[/QUOTE]

Exactly !!!! I still can't understand why people are so bent out of shape over this.

[quote name='revneal']What about smuggled pot? :D :D :D[/QUOTE]

Rev - I do not believe anyone here advocated bringing pot or any other illegal drugs onboard.

The example Sailure noted doesn't fit in what JoeDog asked because it appears it was the illegal pot that got his neighbors booted from the ship and disrupted his sleep for the day or two he noted

[quote name='Sailure']I've read threads where people have said their cruise was ruined because they didn't get the fruit bowl or the bottle of champagne that was ordered[/QUOTE]I always have to wonder if such people have ever been satisfied with anything?

Nothing is perfect, ever. Some people have their cruises (or other holidays, or anything else) much more easily ruined than others. I'm a pretty particular person generally speaking (it takes a lot to get really high marks from me) but to actually ruin my vacation it would take something pretty huge.

I have been on 10 cruises and have had only one generally dissatisfactory one, and even that wasn't even anywhere in the vicinity of ruined.

[QUOTE]I was on a cruise with Carnival once and some guys in the next suite not only brought booze on board, they brought pot on board.[/QUOTE]Now that must have been interesting!

I should mention that I have been on at least one cruise where passengers brought drugs on board (no idea if it was pot, or something worse, or who the pax were - I get the impression they were smuggling, not using), and I also have seen pax smoking pot on certain Caribbean islands on a few occasions (but not on the ship).

[QUOTE]Had I had to put up with that for 7 nights it would have ruined my WHOLE cruise instead of just 2 nights.[/QUOTE]I must say you are an incredibly tolerant person. In my case I think security would have gotten a ring after about five minutes of that behavior.

On another note, I'm thrilled to see that a thread on this normally ultra-sensitive topic has 50+ replies and still has a pleasant tone. Amazing how much nicer everyone is now that we have this great new software ;) .

[font=Comic Sans MS]Yes, Doug, this an incredibly nice thread, very civil I think:D. We even apologized a few times!!![/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]And, Sailure, [font=Impact][color=red]Congratulations![/color][/font] You won the pot (no pun intended:eek: ). JoeDog, tell us what Sailure won! Before you gave in and accepted the story as a partly ruined vacation I was thinking you were being extraordinarily tough. [/font]

Wow! To Joe, the only reason it took me so long to post it was because it happened on Carnival. I then saw that the question didn't stipulate which cruiseline, so thanks for the congrats...even though it was backhanded.;)

Now about the prize...If I could choose a prize, please make it be an all expense paid cruise with all the people on this board, even though more than a few might be drunken, smuggling, sex starved, dressed in flour sacks for formal dinners, and dancing fools who don't know the butt end of the "boat" from fronters! Just point me to the sea!:D

[quote name='glrounds'][i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=navy]There are no miracles here.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080][/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]Booze sales are a major source of revenue for the cruiselines. Deprive them of that revenue stream and they don't just pout and apologize to their stockholders. They find other ways to generate revenue:[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]1) Start charging for something that was previously given away.[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]2) Cutback or eliminate something that was previously provided (does this sound familiar "suite" paxs?)[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]3) Raise the price of passage to recover this lost revenue.[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]So, to the extent, booze smuggling is prevalent the "other" paxs have to pay for it one way or another. And if it makes cruising with a particular line out of the financial reach of a potential customer that could be construed as "ruining" their cruise. :( [/color][/size][/font][/i]

[/QUOTE]

OK, I will play. Ummm, in the past smuggling was allowed. So your premise is wrong. That they are not loosing a past source of revenue that is now being lost to smuggling. They are trying to increase revenue by stopping people from bringing their own.

There is no doubt that cruising is a very competitive business as there are many more ships than ever before going after the same customers. Cruise prices are still very cheap, not as cheap as post 911, but still historically very cheap.

I still feel that smuggling is perfectly acceptable because it is not smuggling. They are completely aware of every item on the ship. The crew will bring you ice and glasses for your booze. I however, think it is in poor taste to consume your personal alcohol in public places, but in your cabin it is no different to me than taking your own aspirin versus buying aspirin from the ship.

jc

[quote name='Sailure']Wow! To Joe, the only reason it took me so long to post it was because it happened on Carnival. I then saw that the question didn't stipulate which cruiseline, so thanks for the congrats...even though it was backhanded.;)

Now about the prize...If I could choose a prize, please make it be an all expense paid cruise with all the people on this board, even though more than a few might be drunken, smuggling, sex starved, dressed in flour sacks for formal dinners, and dancing fools who don't know the butt end of the "boat" from fronters! Just point me to the sea!:D[/QUOTE]
Hey I'm there! I'll be the sober, dressed, dancing fool with my arms outspread, hair blowin' in the wind, out there on the "front" of the "boat":)

[QUOTE]Rev - I do not believe anyone here advocated bringing pot or any other illegal drugs onboard.[/QUOTE]

I was being humorous, as in: "ha ha ... funny."
So, lighten up. I'll even buy you a drink in the Ocean Bar. :)

Sorry Sailure,

The only prize is recognition and commiseration from your fellow cruise critic members for your suffering.

Oh, and I liked your "point me toward the sea" comment.

Keep Smilin

Shoot! I thought I was gonna get some kinda real garrooneteed prize sorta!:(

Oh well....I guess I'll have to be happy with what I can get!;) Poor little uncouth, unedjukated "riff-raff" like meself can't be choozy!;)

It coulda been worse...I might have won my ticket in a poker game and on a night in the middle of the Atlantic [b][color=red]I'd[/color][/b] be hearing, "...My heart will gooooo oonnnnn....."

Just point me toward the sea!

Archived