bonine vs dramamine

kstwo728

They are made from two different types of medicines (sorry I don't have any here or I could tell you the active ingredients of each). They both work to do the same thing, though, but most people say dramamine makes them VERY sleepy, where bonine does not. We used dramamine on our first cruise, and while it got the job done, it made dh and me very sleepy. In fact, he slept in a hammock the entire day we were in CocoCay. I won't ever use it again cause I just can't function on it.

We were on the Fantasy in May and used the ear patch. I loved it, loved it, loved it and felt great while using it. Dh, on the other hand, couldn't see because one of the side effects was that it can blur your vision, and it happened to him. It made my sister very sleepy, too. It must be a popular thing to use, because I seen lots of people with them on.

Might I also suggest Ginger tablets. Twice i started to feel sick to my stomach (even with the patch, it can still happen) but I went immediately and took two ginger tabs and felt better in about 20 mins each time.

Bonine doesn't have heavy side effects.

Seconding YesitDonna for the second time today!:D

Bonine great, with no heavy side effects.

Ginger works great for a lot of people, but try it before you go on the cruise! For me and others it has the opposite effect and makes me nauseous.:( So test it on yourself before your cruise.

Each person has a different thing that will work better or worse, so there is no 100% right or wrong answer for sea sickness.

Take everything with "this is what works for me", and you have to figure out what works best for yourself.

CJW

I used Dramamine II and it still make me extreamly sleepy, so now I dont use anything and seem fine. My cousin who gets very motion sick, used the patch and it started having the effect of closing up her throat, she couldnt swallow. She took it off and was fine for the rest of her cruise.

My Big Brother says he and his wife take dramamine the night before they sail and seems to counter act the drowsy effects. Hope that helps somewhat. My advice? try it without anything and only use stuff if it becomes nessasary, it may not ever become nessasary! Happy Sailing!:p

Non-drowsy dramamine worked great for me. No side effects and I took it twice a day for our 4 day Fantasy cruise last Nov. Before breakfast and before dinner (late seating). I'll be doing it again. I had gotten sick on our first night and won't cruise without meds again. I also took ginger with the evening dose of Dramamine.

Like others have said it works best if taken before you feel bad, so just having it isn't going to do you any good if you get sick. I started feeling the motion about 4 hours out of port and took Bonine and ate some bread, but got sick about an hour after that and had to go back and go to sleep. The next morning we were in Freeport, so no motion and I started taking the Dramamine II and took it until we got back to port. Nothing else makes me motion sick (except Body Wars at WDW for some reason, must be "my" motion). I loved feeling the ship move a lot on our full day at sea (and even tilt a little to the side) and not feel any nausea thanks to meds.:D

You can get generic Bonine(Meclizine HCL) from your pharmacist (no prescription needed)100 tablets for about $10. Quite a bit cheaper that brand name Bonine. I think Bonine is about $5 for 12 tablets.

Enough savings to buy a drink of the day!

Dramamine makes a pill with the same ingredient as Bonine - it's called Dramamine II - the less drowsy formula. But the original dramamine will put you to sleep!

I took the less drowsey formula on my cruise a couple of weeks ago. DH and I were still veeeeeeeeeery sleepy.

Ginger is an option, but the claims of it being non-systemic are invalid. Ginger is absorbed in the GI tract, and some patients get gastric disturbances. (around 11%). Ginger in the elderly causes an increased clearance of other important meds, specifically cardiovascular.

Scopolimine patches work great, require a prescription, can cause drowsiness as well and increased thirst. Most kids don't drink enough water aboard, so watch that. Here are the listed side effects:

* drowsiness

* disorientation

* dry mouth

* blurred vision

* dilated pupils

* confusion

* hallucinations

* difficulty urinating

* rash

Meclizine works as well, and 50 mg tablets in bottles of 100 are kept behind the counter at most any pharmacy. No prescription is required, all you need to do is ask. Depending on the kids weight I'd give 1/2 a tablet each morning beginning the day of the cruise.

More info:

For oral dosage forms (tablets and chewable tablets):

To prevent and treat motion sickness:

Adults and children 12 years of age or older—The usual dose is 25 to 50 milligrams (mg) one hour before travel. The dose may be repeated every twenty-four hours as needed.

Children up to 12 years of age—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.

To prevent and treat vertigo (dizziness):

Adults and children 12 years of age or older—The usual dose is 25 to 100 mg a day as needed, divided into smaller doses.

Children up to 12 years of age—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.

Motion bands and pressure point devices are hit and miss, with some claiming relief almost immediately.

Whatever you do, if someone is sick no medicine will be effective, so take it at the first sign of feeling uneasy.

"Non-drowsy" Dramamine formula is identical to Bonine so there isno difference there. The original, yes, there is a diff.

You can save a ton of money with generic Meclizine Hydrochloride (25 mg) which is what Bonine is. One online store I checked sells 8 tabs of Bonine 25mg for $4.29. Same store will sell you a bottle of generic Meclizine Hydrochloride (25 mg) with 100 tablets for $9.49.

Fresh ginger is available from the sushi place or fish and chips, if available on your ship.

I've tried them all and also had the throat-closing feeling with the patch. Actually have had side effects with all of them but Bonine worked best and had just a little dry mouth.

If you can find it at Costco, it is very cheap but they run out frequently.

Archived