Insurance problems - anyone else??

HaloV

I am asking this question for my parents that had to cancel a May cruise, due to a sudden illness (my Dad). My Mom cancelled in early March, and is still messing with paperwork. Since my Dad is seriously ill now, my Mom is taking care of him & I am trying to get their money (minus $1000.00) back. The ins. co told me today that they needed to know my Dads health back in July of last year. WHAT???? This really makes me wonder is it worth it to take out ins. I would like to know if anyone else has had problems & if they got their money back. Thanks.

The question is valid if they did not get the pre-existing clause. When did they get insurance, right away or did they wait until final payment? If they waited they are not entitled to the insurance because you have to purchase it within 7-14 days depending on the policies and their ages. I have pre-existing conditions so I make sure I get insurance when I book.

The other problem is if his meds changed just before he bought it or just before the cruise. this means the condition was unstable and no insurance will cover. Some conditions that may apply, Blood Pressure, other heart meds, dibetic meds ect, these conditions can change just before or after buying insurance or just before a cruise and insurance will not cover.

Yes, you will have to get a note from the doctor about how stable his condition was before that point in time. Also have him state that your father was unable to go for medical reasons.

I went through this with my husband when he passed away 8 days before our first cruise. It does take time but once all the paper work is in they will tell you within a few weeks. If it is not satisfactoriy contact them again and ask what exactly they need. ie the actual date of orginal onset and date first diagnosed.

It would be helpful to know which insurance company that you are talking about.

Not sure when the insurance was first purchased but they might be trying to figure out if this illness was pre-existing or if it was something new.

Sorry to hear about the cancellations and the problems that are being enountered with the insurance company.

Keith

Thank you both for your info. My parents always get ins. right away. My Dad has high blood pressure, but nothing had changed before he had a disected (sp) aorta. (Same thing John Ritter died of.) Everything has been down hill since then, 3 mo. was spent in the hospital. He has a very good dr. which has also become a friend to the family. It is the Berkely group ins. co.

OK, don’t know the company and I don’t know you. As a “rule” you are exempt from the pre-existing condition clause when you get insurance within a couple of days of putting money down on a cruise. It is likely that some companies do this by charging older passengers much higher rates, or maybe in your case, do not have the waiver for preexisting conditions.

First and foremost, do not tell the insurance company ANYTHING about your father’s health, you are not a doctor. In fact, while talking to them, use that as an excuse why you have no knowledge. I can guarantee that there is a tape recorder going and the adjustor is waiting for any mis-speak on your part.

I’m sure you have gotten the paper work that the doctor was to fill out and have returned it to the insurance company. If you have a copy of the policy check it yourself. If not, contact them wanting a quote with the same info your folks used. Same cost cruise about the same time span between booking and cruise. The cost of the policy should be the same or within pennies. If not, you have found a problem, If not, it’s time to threaten with a lawyer. No letter writing, no phone calls direct to the courthouse asking for payment, lawyer fees and punitive damages. If your lawyer messes around and they settle the claim, you are out your legal fees.

Archived