I Was On The Crown Princess With The Problem

JAMESCC

Well this was my first cruise and the ship is beautiful. We had a GREAT time up until the list. I was with 4 friends in their balcony stateroom when the ship lunged then just started to list very heavely. It just sort of took off and I was walking up hill to get to the hall way. I was honestly thinking how do I get of of this ship when it full turns over thats how far over it was going and how far I thought it was going. We were ob the starboard side and thats the side going toward the water. When I got out into the hallway another guy next door came out and then the ship went back steady again. I said to the guy next door " I think its back steady" and he said "its back again". It was extremely scary I must say buy could have in another 5 seconds been a disaster. Also the sound of people screaming,things breaking and stuff falling I will never forget. Then I went into the elavator hall and there was water coming down the stairways and the elevator shafts. We did all grad life jackets but we quickly realised we would not need them. The Captain was quick to let every one know we were safe but his voice told us that he was shaken.I wonder if Captain Andy Proctor was the one who fixed what was wrong? Anyone know? Overall a very nice and good Captain. I came to like him very much over the voyage.Any questions feel free to shoot them my way.

What level of the ship do you think the ocean came up to? I was also there and all I could see was the ocean rising above me when I stared straight out the window. What deck were you on?

I don't know but I figure pretty high. I was told that a guy was booking his next cruise in the "Future criuse sales" and he saw the water go up over the windows and that was on deck 5 or 6. A friend of mine said that when he looked over the balcony that all he saw was water coming up the ship. I wonder how much of the ship was actually out of the water? I mean did a propeller actually come out of the water? Also I am EXTREMELY suprised that this ship doesn't has the POD system and still uses rudders. Anybody else suprised by this? The newest thing is the POD driven propellers. I fugured all ship from now on would have the new system. Is it more expensive?

I don't know but I figure pretty high. I was told that a guy was booking his next cruise in the "Future criuse sales" and he saw the water go up over the windows and that was on deck 5 or 6. A friend of mine said that when he looked over the balcony that all he saw was water coming up the ship. I wonder how much of the ship was actually out of the water? I mean did a propeller actually come out of the water? Also I am EXTREMELY suprised that this ship doesn't has the POD system and still uses rudders. Anybody else suprised by this? The newest thing is the POD driven propellers. I fugured all ship from now on would have the new system. Is it more expensive?

Don't be too surprised about the lack of pods - it is still relatively new (and not perfect) technology. QM2, some Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships have the technology, and have had problems with it. It has its advanatges but it has its problems too - like anything, it's not perfect.

What's different about the newer system on the Crown Princess (and others, I'm sure) is that that there is a computer system that integrates the operation of the propellers and the rudders so that both are utilized in turning the ship (different from the old days when they were independent systems. The propellers have always had an effect on the ability of the ship to turn, however).

James,

First I'd like to say that I'm so glad that you and all of the others have made it home safe. I'm a cruise addict and love to cruise, but can't imagine how terrified I would be had I been there. Thank God it didn't turn out worse than it did.

I do have a question. Considering what's happened and that this was your first cruise, will you cruise again?

I was on Aloha deck 12 where my cabin and my friends cabins were. Right afterwards I said I wouldn't go on another cruise but I really,really want to go on a cruise to New England/Canada. I want to go so bad. I may go on a Royal Caribbean ship from NJ to New Egland,Canada. So the answer is I would go again but I would probably be a little jumpy anytime I felt anything. I thank you for the kind words also I am glad we are all safe as well. The only damage to my cabin was that the two nights stands fell over. I think cruising is really cool and I'd hate to have this ruin me from cruises all together so I will go again a few years or so. I don't fly so this was the way I was going to vacation for now on actually so I will have to do it again at some point. Thanks for the kind words everyone I appreciate and my friends also do too.

I am glad to hear that you are not giving up cruising! I was a flight attendant for many years and I see many similarities between the cruise ships and airplanes. More scary stuff happens on the highways every day but it doesn't get the attention that ships (either in the water or the air) get when something goes wrong. We, my husband and 2 teens, are sailing on the Caribbean Princess in 3 weeks and I can't wait! It is truly our favorite way to vacation. When you think about how many cruise ships are on the seas every day of the year, it really is a very safe way to go! Best wishes for your future cruises and thank you for sharing your stories with us:)

Guest LetMeGo
Also I am EXTREMELY suprised that this ship doesn't has the POD system and still uses rudders. Anybody else suprised by this? The newest thing is the POD driven propellers. I fugured all ship from now on would have the new system. Is it more expensive?

It's not that much of a surprise really... Most of the cruise lines that use the pod systems (Carnival, RCCL) are ones that have long term history with Finnish shipyrds where the technology was developed. The latest Princess ships were designed and and ordered long before Carnival bought the company.

Naturally the installation costs are going to be higher for patented technology, but even the first cruise ships with the azipod system reported 8-9 % fuel savings compared to their sisterships with conventional propulsion. In the days of rising fuel costs (which make up most of the expenses on a cruise anyway) pods are likely to become even more common.

Thank You for sharing your experience with us. So glad You and your companions are all OK. I have sailed on over 50 cruises and something similar happened to us about 10yrs ago. It was very scary for us as well. Happy to hear you enjoyed your cruise and ship up to the point of the roll.We are schedule to sail the "Crown" ourselves in Sept. and hopefully all will be well. Welcome also to Cruise Critic. Hope you enjoy all the information and exchange that goes on here. Ike

Thanks for the kind words we are all ok. Getting home was a nightmare but at least we are home. I don't want to be scared off of cruising forever but I think i will stay away from Princess just because of the experince.

As a navy "Tin Can" sailor, I can appreciate how you felt feeling a high speed turn for the first time. My trouble on my first ship (about a third to half of the size of todays cruise ships) was not sea sickness, it was figuring out ways to get around a contantly pitching and rolling ship (we don't have stabilizers :D) then keeping myself in my bunk at night (now that's a challenge!:D ). So I'm quite used to something of this nature having done them on purpose and though it would have peaked my curiosity as to why the ship turned in such a manor (first instinct would have told me to avoid a collision with a navigational hazzard) I doubt it would have phased me as much. My wife on the other hand, that's a different question. If you consider lessons learnd from the pictures of the damage I saw would be to bolt down display cases and other such articles around the ship because this sort of thing can and will happen again be it man made or nature induced. Not much you could do about pool water pouring down from the pool which would be half empty at that point no doubt. I hope it won't force you not to cruise again. You've been through it now once and even though it's something you won't want to go through again, next time you may be more in tuned to deal with it. Thanks for sharing your experiances.

Navy Chief- I admit to feeling a bit apprehensive about getting on the Caribbean Princess next week but am consoling myself with the thought that this was most likely human error,since they were in calm seas and apparently not making any turn or maneuver. I can't imagine how it could be a mechanical glitch because they didn't have to 'fix' anything,just got inspected and then sailed right back to NY. Are you saying that this kind of list is a 'to be expected' occurrence at sea the way turbulence is while flying? :confused:

I was on Aloha deck 12 where my cabin and my friends cabins were. Right afterwards I said I wouldn't go on another cruise but I really,really want to go on a cruise to New England/Canada. I want to go so bad. I may go on a Royal Caribbean ship from NJ to New Egland,Canada. So the answer is I would go again but I would probably be a little jumpy anytime I felt anything. I thank you for the kind words also I am glad we are all safe as well. The only damage to my cabin was that the two nights stands fell over. I think cruising is really cool and I'd hate to have this ruin me from cruises all together so I will go again a few years or so. I don't fly so this was the way I was going to vacation for now on actually so I will have to do it again at some point. Thanks for the kind words everyone I appreciate and my friends also do too.
If you are considering the Jewel of the Seas, you should go. You will love it.

Navy Chief- I admit to feeling a bit apprehensive about getting on the Caribbean Princess next week but am consoling myself with the thought that this was most likely human error,since they were in calm seas and apparently not making any turn or maneuver. I can't imagine how it could be a mechanical glitch because they didn't have to 'fix' anything,just got inspected and then sailed right back to NY. Are you saying that this kind of list is a 'to be expected' occurrence at sea the way turbulence is while flying? :confused:

Not in calm seas shipmate. What I am saying is ships are designed to be able to perform a high speed turn and recover normally in the event of a hazzard to navigation crosses the ship's path. It is better to make an evasive turn than suffer a puncture in the hull or worse, collide with another vessel. The ship will not roll over but this type of manuver could and would be very nerve racking to people who are unfamiliar with such a manuver. That would be expected. So a couple of thoughts here. First, the cruise industry should securely fsaten things like top heavy display cases securely to the deck. Fixed furnature should be secure in a way as to not allow these articles to slide during these types of manuvers or in heavy sea states. Granted there is no way to secure a cruise ship as we do on a warship by it's very nature, but there are certain things that can be done. Likewise, always put loose articles in your stateroom away so they won't become airborn missile hazzards. Inspect your stateroom when you arrive and if you see something you feel is not safe, report it to your room steward. A sensable approach to being at sea is in order but don't get carried away to the point you worry more than enjoy your cruise.

"My family of 12 is sailing on the Crown on 8/16/06. Any suggestions on how we can take full advantage of cruise. Please let us know. Thanks for your help."

We had our first cruise ever on the 7/2 sailing. We loved the Crown, and we just booked three rooms for the 4/14/07 sailing!! First, make sure you eat everything in sight! We ate a light breakfast in the caribe cafe/horizon court (cc/hc), then a real breakfast later and sometimes a delicious pastry from the international cafe before lunch. Then of course lunch in the cc/hc. Then we went down to the international cafe and had either one of their yummy, little sandwiches or a quiche or both (all free). Then of course it was appetizers before our seating in the botticcelli dining room. We highly reccommend having reservations. You can get on a waiting list now. We started at 146 and ended up with a table. For dinner, we ate and ate (one night the wife had THREE appetizers. :rolleyes: They're called avocado boats I think.)! You can order two dinners if you want! The princess love boat dessert IS wonderful also. Also, we usually had an after dinner/before bedtime snack in the cc/hc as well. On seafood night, we took a few crab legs back to the room for breakfast! We are active (and thin) people, but we ate like we had never seen food before!! :p My wife bought all new clothes for the cruise in one size bigger than she usually buys! yes, we both gained ten pounds on this cruise!!!:eek: We worked out in the fitness center ( a wonderful place) almost every day though!!! The weight is not dropping off as quickly as we had expected...

Try the pina coladas! The mediums of any drink are the best deal. The princess pina colada has more rum, but you can ask for just a regular pina colada also. They taste great by the pool. They have a chocolate/banana kahlua drink that is also delicious.

Bring a highlighter and read/highlight your princess patter (cruise newsletter) nightly!

Try to schedule your night so that you eat early. We ate at 6pm and loved it. The explorer's lounge usually has something good going on at around 7:30pm, and you should definitely go see whatever is in the Princess theatre EVERY night. We had awesome entertainment. Get there 20 -30 minutes in advance to get good seats. Sit and have a drink in Crooner's bar and/or the Piazza area before or after dinner. A very cool place to people watch. Also, walk the promenade!!! It's incredible even to just sit out there. Sign up for a future cruise while you are on the ship. You don't have to book a cruise, just pay a small deposit. Just sign up, and you get shipboard credit for your next cruise. Also, if you get someone else to go on the cruise, you can get credit for that and your guests can also.

The lotus pool area is amazing at night! It can get pretty deserted, so be careful. You can go "up and over " to get in if the spa doors are closed.

Take advantage of movies under the stars! It's cool at least once.

If you can get a snorkle excursion to trunk bay in st johns, do it!

Horseshoe bay in Bermuda is wonderful, but be careful about waiting til the last minute to get the bus back to the ship. There could be 100 people waiting for the bus! Also, the $1 trip fee to the top of the hill is worth it.

WATCH the boat leave the ports!! It's incredible how they back that huge ship up and turn it around! I was convinced we weren't going to make the turn around in st. thomas, but we did!!! Amazing!

Even though princess charges $10 a day for tipping, we tipped our waiter and steward $50 each additionally. The waiter is supposed to split this equally with the bus person.) of the $10, the steward only gets 2.80. The laundry people get $.70 and the dining room waiters get 6.50. This can be changed. Just go to the passenger services desk. A 15% gratuity is already added to ANY drink you purchase. If you add $ to your bar bill, it is split with everyone. It doesn't go to your server. There are envelopes that say "gratuity" at the passenger services desk. This money DOES go to YOUR server/steward. Also, They have cards you can fill out that recognize a crew member for outstanding service. The Crew LOVE to get those. It goes into their file and helps with promotions. Be generous with the cards! We were very impressed the crew. My wife loved having a steward tidy up after us. We came home and now SHE is the steward to our two children:o . No gratuity....

The rooms are wonderful, the closet is amazing and you can put your luggage UNDER the bed. We were on the lido deck. Easy walking to the food. LOVED IT.

There is so much to do and see. Have a great time!!! Hope this was helpful!

To all of you that were on the 7/11 sailing, we thank you for sharing your stories, and we are relieved to hear your families are all home with you.

:D Ten LONG months till our 2nd cruise!

Archived