RCI's New Alcohol Policy effective 7/28/06? (merged)

Yea but - who are you??

You cite no link, no refernce and you dont even say where you "recieved" this information from.....

Hope you didnt go to too much trouble making this all up....

I've cruised with the poster, and they don't post here much, but when they talk, it's the same as RCCL talking!

Take Care,

Jaime

The telling tale will be what they do with the corkage fee. If they enforce this policy as stated, then they need to completely eliminate any mention of a corkage fee, because there are no circumstances under which it can apply.

The existence of the corkage fee has always indicated that there were either loopholes in the policy, or sufficiently lax enforcement as to inform passengers they could count on getting away with at least some alcohol in their luggage.

Theron

True. Wine is included in this new, if true, policy. If it is right, you wont be able to bring in the two bottles of "off the list" wine.

So, let me get this straight, you arrive at the port and you send your luggage off with the porters to bring your luggage on board. Do you mean to tell me that RCCL is going to open every piece of luggage to see if you have liquor stored in it?? That seems a bit farfetched don't you think?? We are talking 4,000 - 6,000 pieces of luggage right??? And, even if they did, they could just confiscate the bottle and you be on your merry way, why threaten to throw us off the ship? I know your carryon they will take any liquor..

No I don't think they will open every bag but it could be a random search.

As stated before, it is the actions of a few that have brought about the changes. Why people are surprised by this is beyond me. RCI just paid a chunk of money to a widow because her hubby went missing after consuming alcohol that was brought onboard.

As stated before, it is the actions of a few that have brought about the changes. Why people are surprised by this is beyond me. RCI just paid a chunk of money to a widow because her hubby went missing after consuming alcohol that was brought onboard.

Are you implying they would not have paid a chunk if he bought it all onboard?

I will believe it when I see it with my own eyes. It is NOWHERE on RCCL's websiite. Everything I've seen (including the mention in the Miami Herald could easily have come from that dratted Draft-type THING (which initially engendered much discussion as to its veracity before it unceremoniusly disappeared without explanation) that briefly appeared on some travel agent portion of some deep-level rccl storage site. As mentioned, the document was illogically and badly written and smacked of something not quite right and then went completely away. That is the only thing that had any sort of potentially vaguely official verification/instigation of this rumor.

Witness the fact that the Herald states (on July 2nd) that the change has alrady occurred and the other posted bit (with no link or validation) states that it occurs starting July 28.

Feh.

NCL X-rays checked luggage. When they believe they see booze, they hold the bag and send you a letter to come claim it and open it in front of them. Some get through but there is normally quite a number of bags in the holding room. That may be what RCCL goes to.

Hi, RCI has been posting a "no beverage" policy including bottled water and soda since early this year. It was on the web site for awhile then disappeared; it was replaced with the FAQ about liquor.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=330826

The original post does not have enough detail to know if it is real. I would assume that the cruise document that is your contract would be the ultimate answer on policy.

Also RCI may have a better chance of enforcing a liquor policy in US ports where local law may give them a leg to stand on but most US ports are ok with people carrying closed containers. Anyway I think they are going to have to be very clear what their policy is before they go out on a limb by taking your money and not letting you on board. Very annoying that RCI won't be clear on most of their policies. We all tend to end up arguing about them because of that, chair hogs, carrying on beverages, dress code, etc.

It is true, the following is RCI's new alcohol policy:

-Effective as of all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverage consumption, on all RCI ships will be 21.

-An individuals age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation.

-Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Royal Caribbean's Guest Vacation Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

-Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense in accordance with the Guest Vacation Policies.

-Royal Caribbean reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age.

FYI, Baltimore/Grandeur, as of July 21st, has begun confiscating any wine, beer or alcohol bring brought onboard ship at embarkation.

This is seeing it with your own eyes. This poster is having to enforce this.

If they say these are the new rules they have to go by, then it's the rules!

Y'all know I've been questioning this with everyone else, but I know this poster, and this is the REAL thing.

They post here to help us out, and hopefully this could be the end of it (although I know most won't until they see it on the RCCL website, or live it themselves by boarding a RCCL ship.) THANK YOU for trying!

I did go through Baltimore on July 8, and they were VERY strict, and the Beverage Waiver I signed said RCCL Beverage Waiver....EUROPE. That showed me that the Caribbean days of beverage waivers were definatley numbered.

Take Care,

Jaime

Are you implying they would not have paid a chunk if he bought it all onboard?

I believe they would have paid either way. In this particular case, the illegal alcohol was mentioned several times. Just makes one think that they are cracking down on it more because of this.

Y'all know I've been questioning this with everyone else, but I know this poster, and this is the REAL thing.

You know if you and the original poster (on the other thread) would stop being so coy, we might be tempted to take it more seriously. It doesn't take but a moment to find out that she says she is pier supervisor at the Port of Baltimore That does tend to lend it some credence, but either she or another poster claimed to have seen it on the rccl travel agent website. Thus, a link must exist and that's what I would like to see.

NCL X-rays checked luggage. When they believe they see booze, they hold the bag and send you a letter to come claim it and open it in front of them. Some get through but there is normally quite a number of bags in the holding room. That may be what RCCL goes to.

I did not mention x-rays because I haven't cruised with RCI for a few years. I wasn't sure if they are using them or not.

If not, they may soon go that route.

My son will turn 18 four days before our next cruise. He's still in high school, his birthday is in December and we are going on a Christmas cruise. I'm not sure how he found out about it, but he has already asked me if we would sign the waiver for him.

As a responsible parent, there is absolutely no way I would sign this waiver. Sorry kid, you'll have to wait it out until you're 21. I don't give my kids alcohol, my parents didn't give me alcohol before I was 21. I don't have my head stuck in the sand, I know what goes on with kids, but I do feel my kids have not used alcohol, cigarettes or drugs and I prefer to keep it that way. Call me old fashioned, but I know where they are, who they are with and what they are doing. I check up on them, drop them off and pick them up when they go out.

I just remember how much my parents trusted me when I was growing up. I know the kind of trouble I could have gotten into and I'm not willing to take that chance with my kids. Adulthood comes fast enough, they have plenty of years to party, hopefully by the time they reach drinking age, they may be mature enough to handle it better than kids who start earlier.

So, for me, the change of policy will work in my favor.

so whats the big problem with buying it from the shop on board then? surely thats unfair if you cant take it back to your cabin, after all you can cigarettes and others that you buy? They dont surely confiscate it :eek:

As of last summer, you could no longer buy a bottle in the onboard shop, pay the consumption fee, and take it back to your cabin. All onboard purchases are now held until the last night, so the only benefit you're getting is the duty-free aspect of it.

If they set aside and/or search every bag that looks like it has a bottle of any kind, they will be setting aside most of the bags. Let's say 2,500 bags--are they going to add huge numbers of staff or simply delay the cruise by a day or so it's going to take to search them all. NCL held my mom's bag because they damaged it, but the tag said "liquid" so the onboard staff made her open the bag and unpack the whole damn thing. They kept saying, "the tag says you have liquor in there." The thing is that my mom doesn't drink, at all! Not to mention having a 75 y/o woman crouched on her knees to unpack the bag. On top of the assumption that any and all bottles must contain alcohol. I was livid. I don't care that it's "their rules"; the way they treated my mother was unacceptable.

beachchick

You can almost always bring a bottle of wine into a restaurant to have with your dinner, which we have done a number of times. You then pay a corkage fee, which is reasonable. You cannot bring a bottle of Bourbon into a restaurant.

True, but then again I don't sleep at the restaurant either. It really is not correct to make a direct corelation between a restaurant and a cruise ship. I always bring a bottle or two of wine (or what have you) to my hotel/resort room so that I have the convenience of having what I want when I want it.

beachchick

Wish they would tell the people who answer the phones for RCCL. A woman told me tonight that they had not changed their policy and that 18-21 year olds could drink alcohol.

That is what I was also told.

If they do decide to not let her drink, they will just forfeit that cash. She will wait until we port where it is legal. She may also bum a glass of wine off mom in the room. Either way RCI is out the bucks.

They'll forfeit $150 or more from me if I can't drink when I go in December.

I believe that this leaves just NCL and Celebrity as the only mainstream cruiselines that permit 18 to 20 year olds to drink beer and wine with parental permission, and Celebrity may follow RC in this regard.

I just don't see hordes of Royal Caribbean cruisers flocking to NCL or Celebrity over this issue.

Below is a link to RCIs UK site which lists all the booking conditions, see item 4.4 Alcohol policy. You will see it has not changed except stating that persons over 18 can enjoy any alcohol on sailings of the Legend of the sea from Southampton, the waiver is still in force for 18 - 21 year old on other sailings

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/popups/conditions.php

Okay here are my 2 cents. Who really cares if the policy has changed? If it is illegal to drink at home why should it be any different on board?

But here is where i see the problem is. My DW and i went on the Carnival Victory this past March and it was during springbreak have this in mind. Carnival does not have the policy that RCL has you have to be 21 to drink period. But here is where the problems occur. We stopped at different countries that have different drinking ages and once they got off the ship they would go and find a place to drink. If there is a way they will find one.

I understand the concern for the safety of the people on board. But this is my thought and just hear me out. People jump off of bridges and buildings all the time why is it a cruise lines fault if someone does this? I know many or all of you have cruised before and there is no falling off the ship.You have to climb the railing to do this.

Below is a link to RCIs UK site which lists all the booking conditions, see item 4.4 Alcohol policy. You will see it has not changed except stating that persons over 18 can enjoy any alcohol on sailings of the Legend of the sea from Southampton, the waiver is still in force for 18 - 21 year old on other sailings

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/popups/conditions.php

so then why does everyone think this has changed!? this is so confusing

so then why does everyone think this has changed!? this is so confusing

The RCCL TRAVEL AGENT website is where the official memo regarding July 28th date of change is coming from. It's different in Europe because on cruises originating in Europe, drinking age is different.

Like it or not, it's no longer allowed to drink between 18 and 20 on all other RCCL ships.

I am a TA with a large group on RCI in 3 weeks. I had a conference call with my RCI disctrict manager last week and she covered this new policy. I was briefed personally to make sure it was communicated with my clients.

The TA site is updated and we have been notified. Sometimes it takes longer to make changes in the external website but do not make the assumption that it is not true just because you cannot see it posted.

It was also announced that youth security is being implemented across the fleet.

Apparently, the many problems RCI has been having with teens aboard is being addressed on various fronts. As an adult and a TA who sells a lot the RCI product, I think these are both very positive steps, though certainly not bulletproof.

RCI is really inconsistant with getting information out. If you call, you're not assured that word of change has reached the person on the other end of the phone. Sometimes you can ask the same question 3 or 4 times and get as many different answers.

RCI's web site isn't always up to date. There are people who have been on Soveriegn and swear there is a conceirge lounge on her when the web site shows none.

Until it's officially posted on RCI's web site, all any of us will have to go by is what others say once they have sailed after July 28th. Otherwise, we'll have to wait until our next cruise and see it with our own eyes.

As it is, I tend to believe that RCI has either made the decision to change the drinking age or is leaning heavily that way. Apparently they are one of two cruise lines that still allow 18 to 20 years olds to drink and taking the hits from the bad PR can't be a good corporate decision.

I am a TA with a large group on RCI in 3 weeks. I had a conference call with my RCI disctrict manager last week and she covered this new policy. I was briefed personally to make sure it was communicated with my clients.

The TA site is updated and we have been notified. Sometimes it takes longer to make changes in the external website but do not make the assumption that it is not true just because you cannot see it posted.

It was also announced that youth security is being implemented across the fleet.

Apparently, the many problems RCI has been having with teens aboard is being addressed on various fronts. As an adult and a TA who sells a lot the RCI product, I think these are both very positive steps, though certainly not bulletproof.

Hi Caviargal:

Did you get briefed on what ships/ports the policy was to be implemented on? US? a few US? Europe? What about Transatlantic? Any other international? What about the mention of being denied boarding for smuggling? I would assume smuggling covers carryons and checked?

Do you personally plan on bringing your wine as usual?

I still wish RCI would be more clear about their policies and methods of enforcement. Then we would not always be arguing about dress code, beverage policies, and chair hogs etc.

Thanks.

Archived