Keeping in touch...how?

janetz

After my daughter went to St.Thomas last month our Verizon bill came back with 177.00 in roaming charges, calling home. When we cruise to the Carribean in September she is going to LA. What would you use to keep in touch when you get to ports? A phone card? If so, which one? Certainly not the cell phone! Thanks ahead. :)

After my daughter went to St.Thomas last month our Verizon bill came back with 177.00 in roaming charges, calling home. When we cruise to the Carribean in September she is going to LA. What would you use to keep in touch when you get to ports? A phone card? If so, which one? Certainly not the cell phone! Thanks ahead. :)

I find it convenient to just purchase a "minutes" package from the internet cafe onboard the ship. I usually head there right before or after dinner - or while enjoying my morning cuppa and keep in touch. I know it is usually more reasonable to do it ashore but I don't want to spend my time ashore in an internet place...plus, I don't always go ashore.....

It is another expense, true, but is worth it to me for the convenience of being in touch with everyone in my circle of family and friends - and they being in touch with me.....:)

Take your cell phone with you just in case but I would try to use a phone card from the Islands. You could just buy a pre-paid card such as ATT. Also, you can use the internet cafes to send e mails as well. We always bring a combination of cell phone and prepaid card with us when we cruise and we e mail as well.

Keith

I too used the internet cafe and my wireless card on my recent cruise and it worked well. I could e-mail my husband and check on all of them. We set up a twice a day e-mail (obviously this may be excessive for some, but I was checking on my boys) schedule and it worked well.

Depending on how long you talk there are alternatives

1.) We called our cell carrier (Cingular) and they offered a worldwide package that discounted most of the countries for like 5.95 a month (we cancelled it after all the calls appeared on the bill)....btw, St. Thomas was a regular call on Cingular as well

2.) prepaid phone cards..I used AT&T domestic card (they just take away more minutes from further away) ..Call the 800 # Customer service on the card and they'll give you access numbers for each Island/country...although the pay phones are not reliable and sometimes near the pierlong lines as the crews use them to call home as well

One word of advice for those phone cards, most of them do not work on the islands---believe me I know from experience. You have to purchase the local phone cards for each island. Not even the ATT cards work in most of the local phones. And especially those cards you buy at Walmart/PriceClub/Walgreens are useless anywhere but in the US.

Take your cell phone with you just in case but I would try to use a phone card from the Islands. You could just buy a pre-paid card such as ATT. Also, you can use the internet cafes to send e mails as well. We always bring a combination of cell phone and prepaid card with us when we cruise and we e mail as well.

Keith

If you're purchasing a pre-paid phone card, be sure it's an International one.

RDSLS, please explain. Does that mean there would be no roaming? Thank you.

No. But it does mean your rates would be much lower. I suggest you call Verizon and talk with them, they can help you much better than I.

Dial *611 on your cell phone for customer service.

Also, dial *228 then option # 2 to update your roaming capabilities.

Verizon told me that if I can get a signal (in the Bahamas), the charge would be 69 cents/min. for roaming. I doubt it. Does anyone know for sure?

That is correct from my understanding as well.

Since my boss travels internationally fairly often, I did a little research. Most carriers will allow you to purchase an international calling plan for a short period of time. Call your provider and tell them to activate international capability and sign up for the plan (usually a small monthly fee and a reduced rate for calls) and then cancel the plan when you receive your next bill. That way, you only pay for it for one month. Works out great for my boss and his bill is significantly lower than if it was straight roaming. Many times these plans will include x number of international minutes as well.

Archived