Favorite Comfortable Shoe Brands and Styles

Bethwte

Hey girls, I thought it might be a nice idea to have a thread where everyone can post their favorite shoes for walking around ports. I'm always searching for a cute and comfy pair, as I know a lot of women are, and having a thread for it seems to be a good idea. :D If you happen to have links to the shoes your particularly like, by all means, include them. So, post away...

There are a lot of good (and good looking) brands out there, but I think fit is the most important factor -- some brands that others swear by just aren't that comfortable for me. Like Clarks -- they are fine for a morning running errands, but they do NOT feel comfortable enough on my feet for a day's walking while travelling. Merrells do not fit me well either.

Lots of people swear by Birkenstock, I just don't find them attractive.

I have recently found Eccos to be very comfortable, stylish, and they have good support. I have a pair in black and I'm thinking of getting another pair in brown for my upcoming trip.

I have also tried Born recently; the jury is still out as I'm just breaking them in. They felt good in the store, but the leather is a little less flexible and it is rubbing my feet in some places. Some of their shoes look and feel kind of "clunky" but I think their newer ones are better.

I really want to try the Cole Haan/Nike shoes. Caviargal, are they really comfortable?

This is one of my favorite topics! I love Clarks, Merrills, a few Rockports and some Borns. There are also some Ariats that I really like. They traditionally have made riding boots and have a great technology for cushioning the heel each step, but some of the sandals are more comfortable than others.

I just pop on flip flops and am done. I cannot stand wearing closed toed shoes when I am in the tropics.

I can identify with you completely on this one, but I'm not big on closed-toe shoes at any time (wore sandals in the snow when I was pregnant). That's why I hadn't hopped on the Crocs bandwagon. Too much man-made material around my feet = me being hot. Now they have the beach thong ones that I do adore.

Clarks & Born are too narrow for me. I love Merrells for fall & winter but none of their sandals have fit me well (I wear the PrimoII moc ALL the time for work and trade shows with my husband when I'm standing on concrete floors all day...) I love birkenstocks but haven't had a pair in a few years. Got a pair of Dansko at the beginning of this summer that I wear every chance I can get, and a pair of Sofft that I wear when I'm not wearing the Dankso:p

For me, flip flops are what I wear in the garden or out of the salon when I get a pedicure--I need more support than that if I'm doing any walking at all. And I have to wear natural materials too--no crocs or faux crocs for me ;-)

I like the Cole Haan "Air Brogan" mule.

If I'm doing a lot of walking, I don't like to wear a "thong" sandal. The little thing between my toes drives me nuts after a while!

And these are still cute enough to wear with skirts or the longer shorts.

And...I have a link! :D

http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=301&langId=-1&storeId=301&productId=500993366&N=1000425+20&searchUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dillards.com%2Fendeca%2FEndecaStartServlet%3FN%3D1000425%2B20&R=SWM847

These are Haan's thong sandals....they're on sale, but again with the in-between-toes thingy...I'm not sure how comfy they'll be.

May work well for warmer climes though!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2893371?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=guidednav&keyword=cole+haan+in+All+Categories+%3e+Women%27s+Shoes&origin=searchresults

Hoyaheel...I'm with you, I can't do any "non" natural shoes. They just aren't comfy.

~e

Hi:

I'm going to buy some new sandals before our European cruise next year. We've cruised about 40 times, but this will be our first time to Europe. In reading the "Europe" boards, they always say were comfortable sandals. I don't like wearing tennis shoes as they are too hot. I would like to try Teva sandals, but I don't know where to find them. I've been reading there a lot of cobblestone streets in Europe and you do a lot of walking on the tours, so be sure you have comfortable shoes. It seems if you do find comfortable sandals, that they are sometimes ugly looking. Does anyone have any suggestions for comfortable walking sandals that look good?

Thanks in advance.

Happy Cruising......Sparkle 10:)

Hi Sparkle!

I love my Teva's and usually wear them all summer (when I'm not working anyway!). I bought mine at a local sporting goods store, but here is a link to their website where you can buy them direct. http://www.teva.com/

I will say that they are very casual looking however. I am also going to the Med next year and recently picked up a pair of Naot sandals for the trip. I think they have many fashionable styles and they are extremely comfortable having a cork insole that really hugs your feet. I found mine down the Cape, but here is their website if you are interested in finding a dealer near you. http://www.naot.com/index.html If you get a chance to try them on, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck & enjoy your cruise!!

All Dansko, all the way. Can't wear flip flops at all, most sandals mentioned have too flexible a sole for me. I have Dansko clogs and sandals. I don't even like their new footbed. I am true to the stapled bottom! I just walked pavement, dirt, grass and cobblestones all over Russia and the Ukraine. Only part of me that didn't hurt was my feet!!

They are so ugly they are cute!!

I just pop on flip flops and am done. I cannot stand wearing closed toed shoes when I am in the tropics.

A girl after my own heart! I have the world's largest selection of flip flops. From glam to sporty LOL.

Seriously though, if anyone is looking for super comfort and cute styles, Rafters or Teva's are GREAT! Fantastic for walking as they are molded to hug your feet. I buy them in kid's boutiques and get them for 1/4 of the price I'd pay for something similar at Pink or Lilly Pullitzer.

I just spent a month in Europe May/June and brought along 2 pair of leather Teva sandals that saved me in Italy and Greece. I also brought a pair of Clark clogs and Easy Spirit walkers for walking thru rainy Paris & the Netherlands. We averaged walking 5-10 miles a day and all my shoes were very comfortable.

I'm a 50+ year old woman who doesn't care what a shoe looks like since comfort is all that matters to me. I averaged walking/hiking 5-10 miles per day--city tours, museums, churches and archeological ruins.

Forget about fashion, just protect your feet with good cushion and support.

I HIGHLY recommend leather TEVA's. I own 4 pair in different colors, all the same style. My feet are very happy & healthy so they're well worth the investment.

Crocs. Beach Crocs to be specific. I love that they are so light-weight and also that if I end up getting sand in them from walking on the beach, I can rinse them right off.

I just ordered my first pair of Crocs, I gotta wait for them to get here, should be sometime next week. My dad bought a pair last week, and then promptly bought 3 more b/c he fell in love with them. He's lucky to work with a bunch of computer programmers, no one cares about dressing nice for work. Has anyone seen the new ones at Journeys? They make a mary jane Croc now, they're REALLY cute.

th_46392_1_45894_FS_497lo.jpg

All Dansko, all the way. Can't wear flip flops at all, most sandals mentioned have too flexible a sole for me. I have Dansko clogs and sandals. I don't even like their new footbed. I am true to the stapled bottom! I just walked pavement, dirt, grass and cobblestones all over Russia and the Ukraine. Only part of me that didn't hurt was my feet!!

They are so ugly they are cute!!

I love the Dansko clogs, so comfortable. I wear them mostly for work. I work retail and I am the only girl not complaining at the end of the shift about how much our feet hurt. I brought them on my last cruise but only wore them once or twice, I just couldn't give up my flip flops in the tropics. I honestly don't care that they are hideously ugly b/c they are amazingly functional.

I wear Dansko for work too, but you have to watch out for the wedge heel and turning an ankle, especially on non flat surfaces. For Europe and for walking everywhere, I like Birkenstocks. I also love my favorite pair of running shoes, but they are for more chilly days. For the Caribbean and Europe in the summer, I wore my slip on, no ankle strap Birks everywhere, even climbing teeny tower turrets in Rothenburg! The Sydney, Orlando and Riviera models in the classic or Papillio styles are attractive in black patent or some of the mod prints. My favorite style was the Tahiti as it is similar to the Sydney, but the straps were a bit thinner.

I also have a few pair of Naot sandals that are very comfortable. I have very wide feet, so it's Birkenstock first, Naot and Dansko second.

I always wear a shoe for traveling that straps on, especially after seeing a person lose a clog while trying to board a train in Germany. I am also one of those people that hates wearing closed shoes in summer.....just too darn hot.

Bought my first pair of Danskos two years ago.....wore them everyday in Europe for a month and for nearly every occasion (except hiking!) and found them to be stylish and extremely comfortable and they are still like the day I bought them. Hate comfort shoes that look frumpy but most of the Danskos are attractive.

These sandals look great with dresses as well as pants, shorts, etc. There is an ankle strap and a wide strap over the toe area and the insole is a type of suede which keeps your foot from sweating. The sole is thick and so you don't feel the type of payment you are walking on.

Teva's are the best type of shoe for any water-related activities and they also are good for sightseeing but are definitely a casual shoe.

I don't know about other areas, but Finn Comforts are sold at my local Birkenstock store. Also, if you have a store that has all Birkenstock styles, you will note that they are finally putting some style into their shoes. Thank goodness as my feet love Birkies! In fact I have a nice patterned style sandal and an black patent evening sandal to wear at night on my upcoming cruise. However, during the day I am wearing my Merrills.

Pooh

Archived