Diamonds International - BEWARE

slick52

DW and I were in Cozumel on Friday 7/21 aboard the Conquest. DW birthday was 7/24 so I had told her that she could buy something if she wanted while we were cruising. We stop by the DI across the street from where the Conquest tenders, downtown, and she found a diamond ring she fell in love with, the salesman and I discussed the price and came to an agreement. I paid with my AMEX Blue card and we were on our way. DW was thrilled. Long story short, she took it to our regular jeweler and guess what - the ring is not diamond as sold and written up, it's MOISSANITE, synthetic. I've already disputed my AMEX charge and will be talking to DI on Monday. My message here is buyer beware. Don't be fooled by the so called quality company endorsed by CCL called Diamonds International. NEVER AGAIN!

:mad: How unfortunate for you, thank goodness you had the forsight to use a credit card so you do have some recourse...This happens more than it should. Many of these stores take advantage of the fact that most of the customers are only there for a day and don't have the time to shop for price or check out their reputation.

When one makes a purchase such as this it is important to use a credit card, regardless of the "cash price discount" you will be offered. Also make sure that your reciept is specific as to karat and quality of stone. I had a similar experience with what was suppossed to be an "emerald" ring.(different store)

I hope you also let CCL know of your experience.

Update - In contact with DI today. Scanned and emailed all documents to them, updated AMEX with contact and claim # at DI. DI wants me to send the ring to NY for evaluation, waiting on shipping instructions from them right now. Will make sure ring is insured and return receipt signed. Guess it will be a waiting game after that to see what they have to say.

More to come...........................:rolleyes:

It's a good thing you had the ring appraised as soon as you got back. What if you had waited 6 months, or not bothered at all. I have not heard anything amiss with the stones from DI but I heard from several other cruisers that the bracelets usually broke or the stones in rings came loose. I bought diamond jewelry in St Thomas and had them appraised when I returned and the value was much higher than what I had paid. The service was excellent and I have returned to the same jeweler and he recognized us right away. If you ever go to St Thomas, it is Grand Jewelers. Hope all works out for you and you let us know.

Good luck - Judi

UPDATE - This morning I took the ring to 2 different diamond importer/brokers in Dallas. They both concur that the stones ARE INDEED diamonds. They explained how a Moissanite tester can frequently be incorrect. They both stopped using the tester because of this inconsistency. I am now convinced that the mall jeweler that first told me the stones weren't diamonds was in error.

I want everyone to know that the CC forums do carry weight with corporations. The General Manager of DI in Cozumel read this thread and wanted me to contact him because of my problem with the ring. I called him after my visit to the diamond brokers and explained the situation. He was very appreciative that I had taken the extra time to re-verify the stones.

In closing, I would like to say that you should always have your jewelery verified by more than one jeweler, I know I will from now on.

I would also like to apologize to DI for any incovienance I put them through.

Thanks, Joe :o

Great news! thanks for sharing.

To Mrs Joe - Enjoy your diamond!!!

Mike - we love St Thomas too. We have visited Navin & Jay at Grand for several years. Most expensive free beer my DH ever got! We won't be stopping there next cruise either, heading to Western Caribbean including Cosumel.

Judi

UPDATE - This morning I took the ring to 2 different diamond importer/brokers in Dallas. They both concur that the stones ARE INDEED diamonds. They explained how a Moissanite tester can frequently be incorrect. They both stopped using the tester because of this inconsistency. I am now convinced that the mall jeweler that first told me the stones weren't diamonds was in error.

I want everyone to know that the CC forums do carry weight with corporations. The General Manager of DI in Cozumel read this thread and wanted me to contact him because of my problem with the ring. I called him after my visit to the diamond brokers and explained the situation. He was very appreciative that I had taken the extra time to re-verify the stones.

In closing, I would like to say that you should always have your jewelery verified by more than one jeweler, I know I will from now on.

I would also like to apologize to DI for any incovienance I put them through.

Thanks, Joe :o

Thanks Joe, not everyone would have taken the time and trouble to verify the results...Glad it has all worked out for you. Still, It just emphasizes the importance of checking your jewelry purchases as soon as you return , the importance of using a credit card and maintaining open communication. DI response has been one of concern and willingness to resolve the problem...that does say alot! I wish I were as fortunate in my purchase(not from DI).

I am so happy for you that all turned out well. I have to let you know that I purchased a ring from them in Sept. and upon checking their web site found it to be much lower then I paid! It was a hassle to deal with them and to get reimbursed.:mad:

Since the last update, my wife now happy about her ring, took it to a 3rd jeweler to have it sized. He confirms also, that the stones are real diamonds, so everything is good. :D Now that I have the General Manager's name, phone and cell the next time we're in Cozumel and looking to buy I'll contact him for a personal tour of the jewelry. ;)

Glad all is fine! I thank you for being honest after giving DI negative words. Many would've left it alone.

I had heard many good things about DI (Im sure there are bad too) and was looking forward to our visit feb '07.

Again, glad it all worked out!

you wouldn't, by chance, want to hand out managers name??

Glad all is fine! I thank you for being honest after giving DI negative words. Many would've left it alone.

I had heard many good things about DI (Im sure there are bad too) and was looking forward to our visit feb '07.

Again, glad it all worked out!

you wouldn't, by chance, want to hand out managers name??

Sure, I can't imagine that he'd have a problem with getting business. :D

Miguel A. Del Real Embriz

migger84@hotmail.com

Glad to hear that this was just a mistake by a tester. We have bought several pieces of jewelry from DI in the past and have always been pleased by the service in the store, and with the value of the pices once we got them appraised back home.

We have had some issues with the clasp of a tennis bracelet getting loose on us. We vacation in Cozumel/Playa fairly frequently, and the DI in cozumel has always ben great about tightening the clasp back up.

Thanks for the update.

I have purchased 2 tennis bracelets (I wear them together) from DI 7 years ago. I have worn them every day and never had a problem with them. Of course, I knew what I wanted (and the prices) before I went. You really do have to be an informed shopper. The main reason I bought them was the design. I did not like all the XOXO or S designs that were the rage back then. My tennis bracelets are very unique and still get compliments today.

One word of caution....the display pieces generally "what I call" the commercial quality. I mean if you want a one carat ring for $199...expect to get what you pay for. However, they do have nice quality pieces in the case and in the back. The prices are not 80% off, however, I did save 15% on my purchases and then saved another 10%, because I did not have to pay our ridiculous state sales tax.

DI had 14 stores in Cozumel at one time (I don't know how many since Wilma).

So glad everything worked out for you.

Archived