Corkage Fee

DP

If I purchased a bottle of wine while onshore and I wanted to drink it with lunch would I be charged a corkage fee? Any idea what the cost of regular wine would be on the ship?

No corkage fee, at least not in my experience.

"Regular wine" you get for free with dinner, not sure what you are really asking. I've never bothered to buy a bottle of wine, since the pouring wine is always quite nice, so I don't know what the winelist looks like.

I realize wine is complimentary with dinner but my question is since is is not complimentary at lunch and I brought a bottle to lunch which I purchased ashore would they charge me a corkage fee at lunch time to drink while I am eating?

I too, am anxious to find out the answer to this for our upcoming Mariner, Sydney to Aukland trip. What if we were to buy some wines in either country and choose to drink them at lunch and/or dinner. Would there be a corkage fee. Thanks for inquiring. Now for the answer.

There is no corkage fee at lunch or dinner. For the complimentary wines at dinner, there will be several Aussie and NZ wines available so save your local purchases for lunch or home. At dinner, if you wand a different wine from the menu listed white and red, just ask. Any of the 40 or so different complimentary wines are available at any dinner. Also, Regent lets you bring on wine, beer and spirits in any amount and take them directly to your suite for use anytime you want.

Any idea what the cost of regular wine would be on the ship?

:) We would also be interested in what the cost of a bottle of wine would cost if we chose to have one with lunch or in our cabin. Anyone recall what the average price might be?

Also, I like to add soda water (the same type which some people add to brandy) to my wine to make it into a spritzer. Often when we have travelled in Europe they don't seem to know what it is. Is my kind of soda water readily available on board or would it be advisable to request it on the RSSC website?

You will have no trouble with soda water, there will be cans available in the room fridge and it will be available at meal times.

However, wine which you may wish to order away from the red and white available at dinner is expensive. A suggested ordinary ( cannot remember the type) red would have set me back $150 had I gone ahead with the order. My experience is different to Jymi-B above, Only one red and one white were offered at each dinner. They differed every evening and all were very good. But there was no other choice. (except at a cost, which to me is expensive, others may be used to paying that sort of money)

A suggested ordinary ( cannot remember the type) red would have set me back $150 had I gone ahead with the order.

Thanks for that info OrpingtonT. That does seem somewhat expensive. :( Unfortuntely, I don't think our budget will stretch to that!! This is our first cruise and I am hoping that we will carry on to others during our retirement. I'm sure there will be good local wines available on our shore visits.

I thought I read that Regent now provides wine with lunch if you want it.

Also they always had alternative complimentary wines at dinner if you didn't like their selection. We like California chardonnay, and they provided one.

On a recent cruise on the Mariner it was very easy to ask for an alternate choice of wine. If you did not like what was being poured that night and liked one from a prior night they would get that for you.

I found the wine very likeable and the CA that were poured were in the $20.00 retail range in CA.

The premium list I found very affordable for what you get. The Italian Solara was about $125.00 very reasonable for that wine.

If you do enjoy wine, I believe on most cruises the head somellier gives a talk on wine with a tasting of about three chosen wines. Ours was well attended and interesting. Personally I am not too keen on Californian wines but am hoping for a good selection of French wines on our Western Med trip.

When I mentioned earlier about the cost of wine onboard I was referring to purchasing wine from the list of wines poured at dinner. It would appear that they are available for purchase since you are able to substitute a bottle of wine instead of a bottle of liquor for your inroom set-up. So anyone have any idea of what the cost would be should I wish to purchase a bottle for lunch? Also, I understand champagne is included in your inroom set up as well as 2 bottles of liquor. Would you be able to exchange the champage for a bottle of wine. I don't care for champagne

When I mentioned earlier about the cost of wine onboard I was referring to purchasing wine from the list of wines poured at dinner.... So anyone have any idea of what the cost would be should I wish to purchase a bottle for lunch?

Hello DP.

This does appear to be a lingering question! I have just emailed the Agent for the UK and enquired if they could email to me a copy of the on-board wine list. I think that would satisfy us both! If I receive a positive response, I will find a way of posting it on this thread.;)

I hope they don't send the premium wine list, only interested in the list for the wine which they pour at dinner. I am assumeing these wines would be available for purchase. Thanks for your investigation.

When I mentioned earlier about the cost of wine onboard I was referring to purchasing wine from the list of wines poured at dinner. It would appear that they are available for purchase since you are able to substitute a bottle of wine instead of a bottle of liquor for your inroom set-up. So anyone have any idea of what the cost would be should I wish to purchase a bottle for lunch? Also, I understand champagne is included in your inroom set up as well as 2 bottles of liquor. Would you be able to exchange the champage for a bottle of wine. I don't care for champagne

We exchanged our champagne for a very adequate bottle of cabernet ( i am blanking out on name, but I enjoyed it!) I also am not much help on wine list. The house pours were very nice. I do know that they must not mark up their liquors much, because we ordered a liter of Crown Royal extra and it was only about $21, cheaper than I can buy it at home.

Each time we have cruised RSSC there has been one red and one white that was offered each night. This was often different in each restaurant on the same evening. There was also a variety of wines that you could ask for as an alternative if the 'selection' that night was not to your taste. If I recall correctly the alternatives were quite comprehensive (30-40 in total).

Many nights we chose to have something different and either chose something that we had previously had during the cruise or just advised the sommelier what type of wine we would like and then let him/her suggest something - which was an interesting way of doing it. I don't think we ever asked to see a list, but no doubt one would have been forthcoming. Another benefit (according to my wife at least) was that if you chose something other than the nights selection you could keep better tabs on how much you've drunk as usually they'll leave the bottle on or next to your table. Apparently (she says) it's very easy to drink more than you planned when they are constantly topping up from the evenings selection!!

I will be on the Navigator later this week (sailing 9th August), if I can get hold of a 'complimentary' wine list I'll post it on-line when I return.

we had lunch twice in Compass Rose and both times saw folks asking for a glass of wine and receiving it - no charge; we only drank iced tea at lunch, however, 2 nights I did not care for the dining room whites - too sweet - and both times I was asked what I preferred; This was our 10th sailing on Regent and they have always been very accomodating; we've never ordered a bottle off the list but have, however, brought wine on board to enjoy in our cabin;

Each time we have cruised RSSC there has been one red and one white that was offered each night. This was often different in each restaurant on the same evening. There was also a variety of wines that you could ask for as an alternative if the 'selection' that night was not to your taste. If I recall correctly the alternatives were quite comprehensive (30-40 in total).

Many nights we chose to have something different and either chose something that we had previously had during the cruise or just advised the sommelier what type of wine we would like and then let him/her suggest something - which was an interesting way of doing it. I don't think we ever asked to see a list, but no doubt one would have been forthcoming. Another benefit (according to my wife at least) was that if you chose something other than the nights selection you could keep better tabs on how much you've drunk as usually they'll leave the bottle on or next to your table. Apparently (she says) it's very easy to drink more than you planned when they are constantly topping up from the evenings selection!!

I will be on the Navigator later this week (sailing 9th August), if I can get hold of a 'complimentary' wine list I'll post it on-line when I return.

Thank you. That is very interesting and I look forward to your experience on wine selection on your return. Especially whether complimentary wine is now available at lunch time. As far as alternatives to the offered wine in the evening, I am usually so pathetically eager to drink whatever the red wine is that night that I never sought an alternative and apart from the priced wines, did not realise that other wines were on offer.

Hi Orpington T

I will also be departing Dover on the Navigator Aug 9 so guess all my questions will be answered then. Just like doing my homework in advance. See you onboard!!! I would assume the wine ordered by the glass in the Compass Rose at lunch would automatically be charged to your room. That would be why it would appear that there was no charge. If in fact it was/is free at lunch the Compass Rose would have a lot more passengers dining there at lunch time.

I am not sure how current this is. I obtained it from a reliable source but not sure how often they update the list.

The first is the complimentary list and the second with the prices is the premium list.

Pinot Noir:

Cote de Beaume Villages, Burgundy, France 1998

Italian Red:

Centine Rosso di Toscano, Tuscany, Italy 1998

Chianti Classico Riserva, Castello Banfi, Tuscany, Italy 1998

Barbera di Asti, Piedmonte, Italy 2000

Cabernet Sauvignon & Blends:

Francis Coppola, Diamonds Series, California 1998

Franck Phelan, St. Estephe, Bordeaux, France 1997

Krug, Napa Valley, California 1999

Merlot:

Marques de Casa Concha, Rapel Valley, Chile 2000

Shiraz & Blends:

Metala, Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon, Coonawara,

Metala, Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon, Coonawara,br> Metala, Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon, Coonawara, South Australia 1997

Crozes Hermitage "Les Meysonniers", Chapoutier, Rhone Valley, France 1998

Alternative Red Wines:

Kenwood Zinfandel, California, USA 1997

Chateau Romanin, Baux de Provence, France 1998

Dominio de Montalvo, Reserva, Rioja, Spain 1995

Ellen Landing, Petit Verdot, Australia 2000

Light, Fruity Blush & White Wines:

Beringer, White Zinfandel, California 2002

Piersporter Michelsberg, Lange & Scharfe, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany 1999

Alternative White Wines:

Alois, Lageder, Pinot Bianco, Alto Adige, Italy 2000

Gavi, Piedmonte, Italy 2000

King Estate, Pinot Gris, Oregon, USA 1999

Chateau St. Martin, Coteaux du Languedoc, France 1999

Dolph & Irion Gewurztraminer, Alsace, France 2001

Echolon, Viogner, California, USA 2001

Sauvignon Blanc & Blends:

Chateau Haut Selve, Graves, Bordeaux, France 1998

Geyser Peak, Sonoma Valley, USA 2001

Pouilly-Fume "Les Duchesses", Loire Valley, France 2001

Chardonnay:

Greg Norman, Yarra Valley, Australia 2000

Pouilly-Fuisse, Bouchard Pere & Fils, Burgundy, France 2001

Black Opal, Langhorne Creek, SE Australia 2000

Buehler Vineyards, Russian River Valley, Sonoma, California 2000

Champagne:

Cristal, Louis Roederer, Reims, 1996, $150

La Grande Cuvee Nominee, Jacquart, Reims, 1988, $120

Dom Perignon, Moet et Chandon, Epernay, 1995, $105

Comte de Champagne, Taittinger, Reims, 1994, $99

La Grande Dame, Veuve Clicquot, reims, 1993, $92

Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin, Yellow Label, Reims, N.V., $51

Moet et Chandon, Bruter Imperial, Epernay, N.V., $46

Dessert Wines:

Chateau d'Yquem, Sauternes, Bordeaux, 1993, $148

Dolce, Late Harvest Wine, Napa Valley, California, 1998, $83

Chateau Doisy-Daene, Deuxieme Cru Classe, Sauternes, Bordeaux, 1995, $62

Inniskillin, Ice wine, Niagara, Canada, 1998, $44

Chateau Filhot, Deuxieme Cru Classe, Sauternes, Bordeau, 1996, $31

White Wines

Chardonnay:

Cordon-Charlemagne, Grand Cru, Domaine Louis Latour, 1997, $110

Chablis, Grand Cru, Bougros, Verget, Chablis, 1997, $80

Chassagne-Montrachet, Premier Cru, Boudriotte, Domaine Ramonet, Cote de Beaune, 2000, $75

Chassagne-Montrachet, Premier Cru, Boudriotte, Domaine Ramonet, Cote de Beaune, 1998, $61

Meursault, Premier Cru, Chateau de Meursault, Cote de Beaune, 1997, $56

Far Niente, Napa Valley, 2000, $51

Landmark Vineyards, Damaris Reserve, Sonoma County, 1999, $40

Cuvaison, Carneros Reserve, Napa Valley, 1999, $26

Red Wines

Chateau Cheval Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Grand Cru AC, St. Emilion, 1998, $285

Penfold's Grange, Shiraz, South Australia, 1995, $225

Chateau Lafite Rothschild, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, First Growth, 1993, $200

Charmes-Chambertin, Pinot Noir, Grand Cru, Domaine Dujac, Cote de Nuits, 1997, $165

Chateau Figeac, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Premier Grand Cru Classe, 1986, $165

Chateau Pavie, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Premier Grand Cru Classe, St. Emilion, 1990, $160

Chateau Palmer, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, 1986, $157

Ornellaia, Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot, Vino da Tavola, 1999, $129

Chateau Rauzan Segla, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Second Growth, 1998, $124

Caymus Special Selection, Cabernet Sauvignon, 1998, $116

Far Niente, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 1999, $105

Sassicaia, Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot, Tenuta San Guido, Bolgheri, 1999, $101

Latricieres-Chambertin, Pinot Noir, Grand Cru, Trapet, Pere et Fils, Cote de Nuits, 1996, $100

Clos de Vougeot "Musigny", Pinot Noir, Grand Cru, Domaine Gros, Cote de Beaune, 1995, $99

Barbaresco, DOCG, Tenuta Cisa Asinari dei Marchese di Gresy, Camp Gros, Martinenga, 1996, $96

Clos de Vougeot, Pinot Noir, Chateau de la Tour, Cote de Beaune, 1998, $85

Penfold's Bin 707, Cabernet Sauvignon, Barossa Valley, South Australia, 1999, $85

Chateau Grauaud-Larose, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Second Growth, 1987, $75

Silver Oak, Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley, Sonoma, 1998, $67

Barolo, DOCG, Michele Chiarlo, 1995, $66

Chateau Talbot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Fourth Growth, 1996, $65

Chateau Gloria, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cru Bourgeois, 1996, $63

Chateau La Lagune, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Third Growth, Ludon, 1996, $55

Tignanello, Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot, Cantine dai Marchesi Antonori, San Casciano, 1999, $53

Lacoste-Borie, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, 1995, $50

Hardy's Thomas Hardy, Cabernet Sauvignon, Barossa Valley, South Australia, 1993, $49

Brunello di Montalcino, Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot, DOCG, Castello Banfi, Brunello, 1995, $46

Chateau Segla, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, 1996, $46

Summus, Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot $46

Summus, Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot, Castello Banfi, Montalcino, 1996, $44

Les Fiefs de Lagrange, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merl

Les Fiefs de Lagrange, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, 1996, $40

Volnay, Pinot Noir, Premiere Cru, Jean-Marc Boilot, Cote de Beaune, 1998, $33

Don Melchor, Cabernet Sauvignon, Concha y Toro, Puente Alto Vineyard, Maipo Valley Chile, 1999, $30

Wolf Blass Grey Label, Cabernet Sauvignon, Langhorne Creek, South Australia, 1999, $30

Hi Orpington T

I will also be departing Dover on the Navigator Aug 9 so guess all my questions will be answered then. Just like doing my homework in advance. See you onboard!!! I would assume the wine ordered by the glass in the Compass Rose at lunch would automatically be charged to your room. That would be why it would appear that there was no charge. If in fact it was/is free at lunch the Compass Rose would have a lot more passengers dining there at lunch time.

I shan't be on Navigator on 9 August. That is Englishlee above. My next criuse is on Voyager out of Rome on 7 October. Roll on.

Nevertheless that is a good point you make about the apparent "free" aspect of wine at lunch. I am sure you will find out after next Wednesday. I look forward to your report.:)

bennet2005 Thank you for that info. I think I must go around with my eyes shut as I never realised on my Alaskan trip that there were non-priced alternatives to the offered red and white at dinner. Young Pensioner will be interested as she was trying to find out that very information.

Archived