Bears In August?

NEW YORK LADY2

We will be on the Diamond next August 05 and are looking to do a tour to either Neets Bay or Traitors Cove (?) to see the bears. We expect to do the tour on/about August 10/11. Is this a good time to do this tour, and if so which is the better of the two spots to view the bears. Thanks so much for all the help in make this a great trip. We are three women traveling together to Alaska and are very excited about the cruise. Two of the women have never cruised before and Alaska has always been a dream of theirs.

Jackie

You are going peak for either, pick the longest viewing the bears. It is way early to lock into tours however and I would leave many possibilities open and decide next year. You may want to also consider browns out of Juneau to Admirality Island??

BudgetQueen, thanks so much for the information. I thought that this was peak for bears but was not sure. Two other ladies from my office are going with me (just the girls) and I didn't want them to be dissappointed so wanted the peak opportunity to view the bears. I know there is no guarantee as the bears come and go when they please but at least we know we have one of the best opportunities to see them.

Jackie

Those who spent less time at viewing platform were probably cruiseline groups. Bears don't usually appear at Traitor's Cove until mid-Aug. We had planned a trip for Aug 10th and no bears had been seen at Traitor's Cove yet that year. Anan Creek has bears early, but that is also the most expensive tour. Much longer flight and is now by permit only. Still have plenty of time at the viewing platform.

Larry

I agree- the short time viewing would most certainly have been a ship based tour and NOT Carlin Air who is an independent. I have flow with him and had a great flight. It probably was Taquan- just about a total ship contractor. For clairfication- these trips are primarily black bears and not browns- which sometimes are more desired.

I'm confused. I thought black bears and brown bears were the same species. Anyway you seem to know your stuff so I need some more specific advice. We'll be doing the inside passage on the Diamond Aug 28-Sept 4. What would you advise for best viewing. I really don't care what kind of bears I see cause where I live I can't see any. Could you be really specific and name names of companies and how I might contact along with best place to go. Thanks in advance.

Brown bears and Grizzly bears are the same species. Brown bears on the inside passage are sometimes referred to as coastal browns. They are much larger than the black bears and even the grizzly bears in Denali.

There are several options:

Brown bears- Admiralty Island, Katmai Nat'L Park

Black bears- Neets Bay, Traitor's Cove (mid-aug), Anan Creek, all from Ketchikan. Several independent tour operators. Island Wings and Carlin Air are examples. try- http://www.visit-ketchikan.com for links.

Larry

Archived