Need help remembering a NCL ship in 1996

2good2b

My friend and I were on a NCL ship in 1996 (I think I'm correct with the year) and I cannot think of the name of it to save my life! The ship is no longer in their fleet. We sailed from Miami to Cozmel, Key West and their private island. Can someone please tell me the name of the ship I was on. :confused: :confused: :confused:

My friend and I were on a NCL ship in 1996 (I think I'm correct with the year) and I cannot think of the name of it to save my life! The ship is no longer in their fleet. We sailed from Miami to Cozmel, Key West and their private island. Can someone please tell me the name of the ship I was on. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think the Seaward was on that route, not sure of the dates though.

If I remember correctly it might have been either the Seaward or the Leeward that you are thinking of.

Leeward did 4 day Mexico/Key west. I think the Seaward was doing classic 7 day western.

2good2b - do you remember what the ship looked like ???

Leeward01.jpg

NorwegianSea03.jpg

I have a 1996 issue of Cruise Travel Magazine in front of me that shows the cruise calendar at the time.

Leeward was doing alternating 3- and 4-night cruises on three different itineraries: (1) Nassau-Out Island, (2) Key West-Cancun-Cozumel, and (3) Playa del Carmen-Cozumel-Key West. Back then, Playa del Carmen was likely a service stop for those passengers on shore excursions to Tulum. It does not state whether the Out Island was included on itineraries (2) and (3).

Do you recall how long the cruise was? Was it a full week, or shorter?

• 10 years later...

The Seaward sailed from San Juan in 1996 on 7-day cruises. The itinerary included stops in St. Maarten, St, Thomas, Antigua, Barbados and Martinique. We celebrated our honeymoon on that ship in October of 1996.

Small ship compared to those of modern time, but great introduction to cruising!

I loved the Leeward. First cruise on it went to Key West, Cancun and Cozumel. We anchored off Cancun where I took an amazing excursion to Chichen Itza. The ship went on to Cozumel where the tour ended. The 2nd cruise did not stop at Cancun. I would pick the Leeward over a megaship anytime. It was like sailing on a yacht. The lounge on the top of the ship had a beautiful white piano and I would spend every evening up there enjoying the music and the views. Too bad NCL decided to get rid of it.

I just noticed that this post started over 10 years ago!

Edited by cruise pup