Dinner time & documents

Jemima

My documents say "main dining confirmed, early dining waitlisted". I've read posts that seem to indicate some docs are more specific such as "main lower". The only available time when we booked was 8:30 and we asked to be waitlisted for the 6:15. I'd expected the documents to say something like "main lower confirmed, early lower waitlisted".

Not all ships do the same time change. What ship are you going on?

Rotterdam on 7/10. I was just curious since my documents only give the time as early or late, but some people's documents seem to give the time as early upper, early lower, main upper, main lower.

:)

Dining times

When our documents came in for the Maasdam for this past May, they indicated that we had early seating, upper level - what we had requested. And this was the first time that the Maasdam started the different times.

I was just looking over some of the paper work for our up coming cruises and they also indicate "early seating, upper level".

If you don't want the 8:30 time, when you get on the ship, check the times for when you will be able to see the maitre'd - maybe you can get changed to the 6:15 time.

:)

Jemima,

I just looked at our docs and they do say "confirmed dining, main upper", which is what we asked for. Since you are waitlisted for the early slot that you want, you should probably check on it as soon as you can after boarding--if the dining confirmation in your cabin still has you listed at the later time.

Definitely conact the Maitre d' when you board. He may be thrilled to "take" your 8:00 reservation to give to someone clammoring for it and to give you the earlier one that you want.

Our documents indicate Main Upper.....which is what we requested.

There are always some who want late and got early and vice versa.

This may not even be practical ... but the thought occurred to me how nice it would be if HAL had a dining room section online in addition to your immigration documents, shore excursions, etc. There you could see what tables were available and make your selection (like you choose your airline seats online.) Wouldn't that be neat?

A 7/10 sailing is right in the middel of "kiddy" season so it looks like the prefered seating for children, the early one is booked out and that is the reason you are waitlisted. Sounds like a full ship of families going with you.

Waitlisted is just that, there is no garentee you will get what you want.

Asking for a private table is the hardest but being put with a group table is easier. Sounds like you are stuck either way and will have to wait on the outcome when you board. My advice is be first in line as this is a slow process in getting table problems worked out the first day. They tell you where and when to go and change it. Be there early!

Must be that those who waitlist a dinner time don't get a specific time on their documents. I had my TA be very specific in the waitlist request making sure it was for the later early time (6:15) and not for the earliest time. Most peoples' first two choices would probably be either the two later times (main) or the two earlier times. Mine are mixed with 6:15 being my first choice and either of the late times being my next choice. Yes, I know we can stand in line and change times but that's not how I want to spend my first afternoon. (My camera jammed our first time out of NY. This time I am going to get photos as we leave.)

F5Loar - I doubt this is a ship full of families as it is a 17 day cruise.

Actually our experience on the Maasdam was that there were more of the senior crowd at the earlier seating and the younger crowd including kids in the later. I went to change my time and found myself in line with seniors with concerns about medication etc. We had the 8:30 seating. Not my favorite but we had an incredible table and an excellant waiter and we found that at that time the dining room was never full, thus our service was more attentive.

BTW, we had a confirmed early seating only to arrive and find our seating had been changed.

Jemima: Sorry I don't keep HAL's 100 cruises in my brain to know a 7 day cruise from the 17 day ones. And she just gave the date with no indication it was one of the long ones. But you are right, few families will go on the longer ones. Next time I'll look up the date and find out how long a cruise is being refered to before I make a statement I know nothing about. But your odds are still stacked against you that in mid July families with kids are more likely to take a 17 day cruise vs. one while normally school is in session hence the reason the early seating is fully booked and being waitlisted.

Archived